PDA

View Full Version : 325ES high rpm power loss

BBSe30
03-29-2004, 01:10 AM
Sometimes my Es will have a drop in power at about 4500 rpm...sometimes even lower rpms...Ive only had the car a few weeks...Ive put a new cap and rotor and replaced the wires and plugs....The ecu is chipped,and Im running a cone air filter....any suggestions on the prob?....I read another post about some power probs at higher rpms possibly caused by fuel injectors????????????????????

felixthecat
03-29-2004, 01:31 AM
ignition coil and plugs are always a good place to start...power lacking problems usally start there....id check the fuel pump as well.........

BMW_M52_M20
03-29-2004, 01:47 AM
Fuel pump, or possibly the mass air flow meter.
Jay

T.Dot_E30
03-29-2004, 02:12 AM
high rpm loss? eta's dont rev that high to being with....

ZiMMie
03-29-2004, 02:19 AM
chk ur Cat. converter. cause when mines was F8ck in my IS i was able to redline in 5th had to drv in 4th gear until it almost redlines then switch to 5th. if its not ur cat, might be the chip.

BBSe30
03-29-2004, 06:04 AM
I know they dont rev high....lol....its in the higher rev range....and it did it before the chip....infact the chip only helped....and raised the redline....I also need to replace all the hoses and still need to replace the fuel filter....hopefully one of the two will help...and speaking of the air meter....anyone know of any good mods for that restrictive piece of crap....possible to swap from another car???

Chriskb3
03-29-2004, 07:04 AM
I think you can replace it with the e28's? but you have to swap out the innards (whatever electronics and such are in it).

chromius
03-29-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by BBSe30
Sometimes my Es will have a drop in power at about 4500 rpm...sometimes even lower rpms...Ive only had the car a few weeks...Ive put a new cap and rotor and replaced the wires and plugs....The ecu is chipped,and Im running a cone air filter....any suggestions on the prob?....I read another post about some power probs at higher rpms possibly caused by fuel injectors????????????????????

I have exactly the same problem...and have done all kinds of stuff to try and get rid of it, I have some new fuel injectors comming today, and I am hoping that will fix it up....otherwise I'm running out of things to change.:mad: If the injectors don't do it, I'm gonna try replacing the fuel pressure regulator next....I have a suspision that its leaning out at high rpms....cuz I have replaced all the ignition components and fuel filter etc. and I would assume that if its the air flow meter that the check engine light would come on. I will let you know if that fixes it.

Skunk#1
03-29-2004, 10:26 PM
check the distributor cap and rotor, i had a flat spot that was always in the middle of the rpm range. pull the cap and check it, mine was melted and the rotor had deffinatly seen better days. this will cause a flat spot and sometimes affect the idle (make it rough). i replaced mine and it felt like it gained 15-20hp.

chromius
03-29-2004, 11:36 PM
I think he already did that....I'm sure it must be mixture related, unless for some reason compression would drop at high RPM, but I would think that if the compression is low it would be low all the time.

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 12:18 AM
should be the same unless a cm is worn to the point that it is staying open to long and releasing to much mixture.

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 12:19 AM
that is cam, sorry.

chromius
03-30-2004, 02:11 AM
Originally posted by Skunk#1
should be the same unless a cm is worn to the point that it is staying open to long and releasing to much mixture.

I never thought of that...I guess that is another posibility.

BMW BMXer
03-30-2004, 04:24 AM
Isnt the fuel cutoff at 4700 anyway?