PDA

View Full Version : E30 Coil overs

BBSe30
03-29-2004, 12:06 AM
Does anybody know if an E36 adjustable spring kit would work on an E30.....an 87 325es to be exact....I see kits cheap on Ebay for the E36....just wondering if anyone has tried it...

Jon@Bimmersport
03-29-2004, 12:16 AM
I had OBX E36 coilovers on my E30...they are good, but make sure u get good shocks. i had tociko...tociko + OBX = SHIT. lol..the coilovers themselves arent that bad.

BBSe30
03-29-2004, 01:58 AM
Cool....thats the answer I was lookin for....Ive got bilsteins....and some sorta lowered springs,not sure of the brand....but the car needs to be lower....

Chriskb3
03-29-2004, 08:20 AM
even the rear springs work with the e30? Can you link the ones your talkin about?

Chriskb3
03-29-2004, 10:31 PM
^^ never mind, i found em. I wanna get me a set for sure if they'll werk.

Skunk#1
03-29-2004, 11:22 PM
i think that you need some sort of cage or to reinforce the rear shock mounts (uppers) to be able to use the stock location. you should do this anyway with stiffer suspension. you will also have to cut and weld the trailing arm to accept them. someone on here has put up pictures of this. i found a set of h&r coilovers and was going to do this setup so if someone knows the link to the pics or i can get them from the local bimmer tech shop.

Chriskb3
03-30-2004, 12:09 AM
if its too much trouble, might be better to stick with normal lowerin springs...

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 01:02 AM
Originally posted by Skunk#1
i think that you need some sort of cage or to reinforce the rear shock mounts (uppers) to be able to use the stock location. you should do this anyway with stiffer suspension. you will also have to cut and weld the trailing arm to accept them. someone on here has put up pictures of this. i found a set of h&r coilovers and was going to do this setup so if someone knows the link to the pics or i can get them from the local bimmer tech shop.

That's only if the coilovers relocated the springs from their inboard position to the wheel well. Very few of the setups do this, as you would need a full rollcage to pull it off.

Chriskb3
03-30-2004, 01:09 AM
so the coilover springs will fit without any extra work?

John Hubbert
03-30-2004, 01:31 AM
Coil-overs do fit the rear shocks of e-30's, there close but didn't rub, till I put the 18 x 8 s on, 10 mm spacer with slightly longer M.B lug bolts fixed that . Front springs are 450 ft pounds , Rears are 400 lb .
Rear's need to be bumped up to about 500 ( sub box and all that) Any way just make sure you beef up the upper mount ...

MorningCruiser
03-30-2004, 01:36 AM
Where'd you get those at John?

Chriskb3
03-30-2004, 01:39 AM
what exactly do you cut/weld when you install the coilovers??

jeremy
03-30-2004, 01:42 AM
john,

what coilovers are you running ?

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 01:59 AM
Originally posted by Chriskb3
what exactly do you cut/weld when you install the coilovers??

Just the spring perch. You cut off the stock one and weld the new one.

John, that type of setup isn't safe at all without a cage, you should be blowing through the towers.

T.Dot_E30
03-30-2004, 04:09 AM
Originally posted by Mystikal

John, that type of setup isn't safe at all without a cage, you should be blowing through the towers.

How come it isn't safe? doesn't the Fk coilover use the same rear setup. Their kits say everything needed is included, im pretty sure they would have mentioned it if major modifications were needed.

Jus wanna know, cus im considering coil-overs at the moment.

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 04:15 AM
No, on E30's the rear spring is inboard. It's not a true coilover, the height is adjustable via a perch on the spring. The shock is still a seperate unit.

Imagine this, just with an adjustment perch on the bottom of the spring:

T.Dot_E30
03-30-2004, 04:26 AM
hmmm ok thanks alot.

so many options donno what to choose. What would you choose jay?

budget is about 1G.

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 04:32 AM
For $1k, that's tough. I'd personally save for Ground Controls with Koni SA shocks, it's a popular combo that you can order with whatever spring rates you like. You can also set the "just right" height and adjust the firmness of the shocks. It would be closer to $1500 though.

If you really have to stick to that price ceiling, I'd do H&R Sports with Bilstein Sports or Koni SA. The Eibach Pro-Kits are kinda low for winter driving, they almost slam the car when they settle.

Do you have MSN? Add me if you wanna talk, I've been researching this stuff for like a year now. mystikal_325@hotmail.com

BBSe30
03-30-2004, 04:49 AM
U got a "G" to spend .....dude....check these out....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42609&item=2469631174
This is a pretty nice setup....for a little extra you can get adjustable front upper pillow ball mounts........wish I had a "G" to spend on my suspension.......

T.Dot_E30
03-30-2004, 04:56 AM
Originally posted by BBSe30
U got a "G" to spend .....dude....check these out....
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42609&item=2469631174
This is a pretty nice setup....for a little extra you can get adjustable front upper pillow ball mounts........wish I had a "G" to spend on my suspension.......

well i meant a grand CND, not USD.
im sure D2 might be a good company,i jus haven't heard anything about them, but for that much i'd prefer to go with FK. Im thinking im gonna wait, n do it right the first time. for ~$500 more, it might be worth it, cus if i decide later i want the coilovers its gonna end up costing me way more.

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 02:51 PM
Holy hell those D2's look the business.

That's the type I meant when I say ROLLCAGE REQUIRED. If the spring wraps around the shock in the rear, you have to cage it.

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 04:04 PM
plus a cage looks like the shiz-nit! i am savin for tha real deal.

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 04:05 PM
On a street car? You'll die when you crash. :huh?:

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 04:38 PM
dual purpose, mostly track car. but you know the weekend car show at the local spot. why would i die when i crash?

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 05:32 PM
No helmet and a steel bar inches from your skull. That's why they are illegal on the street.

MorningCruiser
03-30-2004, 07:09 PM
Uh, a 6 point that ties into the strut towers would work wouldn't it? I imagine a 4 point might if done right.

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 07:20 PM
not here in texas. plus i can build cages, my boss and i have done it for off road trucks for like 6 years. plus i have a friend who strickly does bumpers and cages, he wants to start doing them in cars, www.jkcustoms.com . he has some friends that are in a honda club that are going to go into a group buy type thing to get it all started, i will let him do those before i ask him to help me (let him mess there cars up first! haha). plus the coils can be changed so that you could run a little softer for the street and have some stiff ones for the track, you would just have to pull them apart. not really that hard since the car is going to be for the track primarily and sometimes go on the street maybe once a month, you should see the coilovers we have installed on some of these off roaders. they are like 3-4 feet long, just like the ones on baja trucks, accually thats is what they are. they have two, sometimes three coils (progressive) per shock. they are expensive, a lot more than a lot of these bimmer kits ($550-$1200 per wheel) but they have upto 38inches of travel, they are pretty cool looking. biggest bilsteins i have ever seen.

MorningCruiser
03-30-2004, 07:34 PM
Haha, yeah, real double sprung coilovers on offroad rigs, a lot of guys run them here, and in Moab.

Funny, a large portion of them are fully street legal.

My Jeep has a full cage, it's 4" from my head, it's street legal here.

MorningCruiser
03-30-2004, 07:35 PM
BTW, King Coilovers that are double sprung are roughly $1000CDN per corner... And they aren't cream of the crop either.

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 08:29 PM
that is what i build, trying to move into cars though. the parts are a lot lighter. you dont need to buy stands to stand on just to get in the engine compartment, just a whole lot easier on the body. i am 23 and have the back of an old man, that sucks. i am going to get my race license for scca racing here in college station and am starting autocross to advertise my section of the shop. it will be Skunk Projects, i will still work on the trucks at LCS (my boss and i's shop now) but will have my half turned in to building and modifing cars. i already have my land cruiser competing in some calroc/narrca events around here. i need to buy a dodge diesel so i can tow my toys around.

Skunk#1
03-30-2004, 08:37 PM
MorningCruiser is it the stock cage or is it like fully fabricated, because we have to use DOM and build cages to spec before they let us compete. the cages are by far bigger and stronger than stock, that is why some places might be illeagal. the way the truck would handle would make it more top heavy, as well as increase braking distance, etc. you are adding a lot of weight. stock cages in jeeps wouldn't hold up to a real roll over. i have upgraded brakes (4 wheel disks on a 75 fj40!), suspension, engine internals, rims/tires, wheel bearings, knuckle bearings to make my truck safer with all the off road equiptmnet. here in texas if anything is questionable about being approved by DOT, we can take it to DPS(department of public safty) and they will give it there own inspection and if it meets the requirements then it is allowed to be registered and allowed to get insurance. you can take them 2 stroke dirt bikes and get them street legal.

John Hubbert
03-30-2004, 11:17 PM
My coil overs are basically a generic piece of shit ! ( made by Matrix ) I got them from Performance Inprovments in Barrie .
I think they are for GM junk acctually ? Z24 or some other piece of crap like that ... Any way on sale $199.00 not bad , I thought
what the hell I can make them work , Springs are springs , I don't
give a fuk what name is on them . Like I said just reinforce the upper mount , I used a piece of 3"x 3" x 1/4" about 4" long of T6
aluminum. No problems so far ,and I bottom out the rear to often.
Need to find 500 lb rear springs .

MorningCruiser
03-30-2004, 11:29 PM
Here we can't do private DOT inspections, it's stupid...

My jeep is full 2" DOM cage...

Out here all you need for a dirt bike to be legal is mirrors and turn signals, haha.

Skunk#1
03-31-2004, 07:01 PM
2" DOM *mw*

even if it is a 2 stroke? damn, i have to go there. :D

Skunk#1
03-31-2004, 07:06 PM
"those D2's look the business"-Mystical

but they dont make them for the rear of any bimmers?! that is crap! not even for the e36.

MorningCruiser
03-31-2004, 08:15 PM
What are you talking about Skunk?

They're front and rear... They only have pillow ball mounts for the front *thwak*

Oh, and you need a plate on your dirtbike too (that's a given though)...

And yes, even on two strokes...

Skunk#1
04-01-2004, 01:04 AM
werd i misread that! my bad.