PDA

View Full Version : 325ix being so slow?

RigsPGT
03-28-2004, 07:15 PM
The engine runs good but i think there's a problem in the power transfer section (tranny, transfer case etc etc). This car needs high rpms to move. Lets say at 60mph the tach shows 4k rpms:confused: And if u want to get it up past 60, u need a lot of pedal and rpm effort.

Anyone has a suggestion on this car? (89-325ix) Are the Rpms where they should be? What might be causing this delay?
I cant think of any slow vehicle to compare this too. Its just slower than it should be.

Thanks, Rigert

felixthecat
03-28-2004, 07:44 PM
have you changed the fuel filter lately????

RigsPGT
03-29-2004, 01:47 AM
Yea actually the filter is 1 month old and as i said, the motor sounds to be in perfect condition (100K now). The car feels like it has a lot of potential but somehow it won't put that power on the ground. Its not that it misses or anything. Like a slipping clutch where the rpms jump up high but the car moves slow.
Any other suggestions?

Rigert

felixthecat
03-29-2004, 02:30 AM
i cant say man...i dont really know the ix drivetrain that well.....
its not an engine power problem eh?...more like a mechanical problem?

WhadUpp
03-29-2004, 02:35 AM
tranny is slipping and not delivering power to wheels. eventually it will go completely and you will be hammering the gas and not going anywhere. Get the tranny checked.

RigsPGT
03-29-2004, 03:00 AM
Originally posted by WhadUpp
tranny is slipping and not delivering power to wheels. eventually it will go completely and you will be hammering the gas and not going anywhere. Get the tranny checked.

Thats what im thinkin too. I suspect that either the case (i heard they go bad in IXs) or maybe the whole tranny is going.
Are there any good places to get inspected besides the dealer?

Oh yea forgot to ask, lately the car will slowly move when parked, kinda skipping one tooth at a time. Thats weird and annoying cause everytime i shut it off, i have to use the E-brake. Last year i had to replace an axle that connects the tranny with the case so im assuming thats my starting point of the problem.
:confused:

felixthecat
03-29-2004, 03:45 AM
lol....theres your problem....the t -case is fckd

MorningCruiser
03-29-2004, 08:46 PM
Auto or 5spd?

Center diffs and auto trannys aren't exactly supposed to last forever in BMWs afaik.

school
03-30-2004, 12:52 PM
Do the 325ix have a flex disc it could be this or the tranny seal. My car had this problem before I took it the shop had to rev to 4-6k rpm to get going. After a fix of the tranny seal and replacement of the flex disc all was fine and well.

RigsPGT
04-06-2004, 04:52 AM
Originally posted by school
After a fix of the tranny seal and replacement of the flex disc all was fine and well.

By Flex disc, are you refearing to the flywheel?

Are there any info about Tranny seals? Im not familiar with Automatics, is this something that can be done without having a shop do it?
Thnx again, Rigert

school
04-06-2004, 10:58 PM
By all means you all correct me if I'm wrong here. The flex disk is a rubber compound type disk that links the drive shaft together. In fact, this is part of the drive shaft, it wears out over time and needs replacing.

As for the seals, I believe all trannys have seals just as all engine, as far as I know, have seals. Now whether the seals on the Auto is different from the seals on the manual not sure, I had my machanic replace the tranny seal.

RigsPGT
04-09-2004, 04:34 AM
Originally posted by school
The flex disk is a rubber compound type disk that links the drive shaft together. In fact, this is part of the drive shaft, it wears out over time and needs replacing.

Yea, now i understand what you're talking about and thats the same exact part which i had changed a year ago!

Thanks a mile, Rigert