PDA

View Full Version : Am I stupid?? audio experts pls advise..

Dluxazn58
05-25-2002, 03:29 AM
i have 1 10s in my trunk...

and i'm thinking of putting an amp in for my speakers...

would it be stupid to have 2 6x9's mounted in seperate boxes in the trunk. Then have a 4 channel power the 2 6x9's and the front speakers in the car? or should i forget the 6x9's, upgrade the rear speakers (front are upgraded) and have the 4 channel power those?

would the sound from the 6x9's even get through to the inside of the car?

Softy
05-25-2002, 04:17 AM
Do you care about your rear passengers hearing the music?

6x9's in the trunk would be useless since the mid and high range frequencies wont make it through objects like the rear seats. Bass will go through almost anything.

Rear speakers are generally just for a bit of fill to make the sound more whole and engulfing, or for the rear passengers. Most installs these days are concerned with "staging" of the music and the installers recommend no rear fill at all in order to make it sound like your watching a concert and the sound is comming at you.

But it's up to your preference. I'd use your 4 channel as a 3 channel with 2 for the fronts and 2 bridged for the 10' sub in your trunk. Run the original rears off your head unit.

'88 325e
05-25-2002, 10:00 AM
*uzi*6X9's! Aaarrggghhh!!! Don't bother with 6X9's! I would replace the factory speakers with aftermarket ones and use them as "rear fill". I have heard too many systems have rear speakers that are overpowering and throw the staging to the rear (in my mind that sounds like POO POO! LOL!) A good system has rear speakers that you can't hear but helps with the overall sound.

Furious
05-25-2002, 01:24 PM
dont put the 6x9's in the box,,,,,thats only for hatchbacks,,,,if i were you id just upgrade your system using stock sizes,, but better quality speakers........its only two 10's you wont need anything too serious to keep up with them

Dluxazn58
05-25-2002, 01:32 PM
koo thanks guys!

i'm ditching the 6x9's, and I think i may put the "decent" pioneer speakers i have now in the front.... in the back. and possibly get better ones for the front.

what do you guys think of Alpine type-r speakers?

BMW_M52_M20
05-26-2002, 01:04 PM
All I have to say, is that if you amplify shit speakers, they will sound nice in the end. You can make a lot of speakers sound nice if you amplify them. I would highly recommend it, but don't use those 6X9's in the trunk, no one will hear it and if they do it will be all distorted and sound crappie.
Ciao
Jay

BMW BMXer
05-26-2002, 02:58 PM
I have no rear fill in my eta

all the passengers here is lyrics (boom boom) lyrics (boom boom)

o well