PDA

View Full Version : Buying a 5MP digicam

sjinto
03-26-2004, 03:00 PM
well it looks like it's down to two:

Canon S500 vs Sony DSC-T1 - both 5MP and both compact....

anybody have any personal reviews/advice...i've checked out some review sites and both appear to be good...

Gianpaolo_E46
03-26-2004, 03:47 PM
i got the DSC T1

sjinto
03-26-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by T_DOT_BIMMER
i got the DSC T1

so what's up?... what made you choose the sony, where did you get it from and when?

i need some feedback bro*wave*

BimmerMan
03-26-2004, 05:04 PM
I have a cannon s400 (which is the same as the s500 except for 4mp vs. 5mp). If you are looking for a compacy camera that you can keep in your pocket, i highly recommend it. Good amount of features, great quality pics. Only downside I find is only 3x optical zoom.

Gianpaolo_E46
03-26-2004, 05:09 PM
sorry bro i made a mistake, i got the Sony DSC V1

Gamite
03-26-2004, 05:10 PM
what's more important to you? functionality or compact? for compact, I would go for the Canon SD10, its 4MP, small, and its way cheaper, and its more functional than the T1.

The S500 is better than the T1 in terms of functionality as well, it has zoom for one, and adjustable aperture and shutter settings.

T1 is more of a point and click type of camera, its only attribute is that is compact, and it has a large screen. I wouldn't recommend it.

sjinto
03-26-2004, 07:36 PM
i need a point and click camera that's compact... something that will be used to take a lot of indoor pics... red eye shots will be a problem if the flash is poor (i think)...battery life is important as well as memory card storage....

from top to bottom that's the priority... 5mp although prolly not necessary would be nice when printing out shots (need good quality printed pics)

Originally posted by Gamite
what's more important to you? functionality or compact? for compact, I would go for the Canon SD10, its 4MP, small, and its way cheaper, and its more functional than the T1.

The S500 is better than the T1 in terms of functionality as well, it has zoom for one, and adjustable aperture and shutter settings.

T1 is more of a point and click type of camera, its only attribute is that is compact, and it has a large screen. I wouldn't recommend it.

whiskeym3
03-26-2004, 08:12 PM
Originally posted by Gamite

T1 does have a 3x optical zoom. Here is a review that rates the camera.

http://www.steves-digicams.com/2004_reviews/t1.html

Whiskey

Gamite
03-27-2004, 02:02 AM
hm, u'r right, it says so right on the camera.

you kno what? I said it cuz I was thinking about the U30, not T1. I still think canon makes a better camera, plus is cheaper.

T1 still cannot adjust aperture, nor ISO, and only 1 second slowest shutter speed. For the money, that camera is very limited.

2slow2race
03-27-2004, 11:05 PM
i would go with the canon s500

i just want my a80*th-up*

X5HogTown
03-28-2004, 12:21 AM
I bought the DSC-T1 a month ago and I love it. It's small enough to fit my front pant pocket and I carry it all the time. This will guarantee I get a lot of use out of it versus a camera that would sit in the closet.

I'm sure the Canon has a better lens but that's a trade off I was willing to take.

My sig picture was taken with the T1.

ps You can adjust iso from 100 to 400.

sjinto
03-29-2004, 08:42 PM
do you have any problems with the flash range especially when taking indoor pictures?

in the T1 specs it lists the max flash range as 5 feet as opposed to 10 feet with the s500:confused:

Originally posted by X5HogTown
I bought the DSC-T1 a month ago and I love it. It's small enough to fit my front pant pocket and I carry it all the time. This will guarantee I get a lot of use out of it versus a camera that would sit in the closet.

I'm sure the Canon has a better lens but that's a trade off I was willing to take.

My sig picture was taken with the T1.

ps You can adjust iso from 100 to 400.

SpudBoy
03-29-2004, 11:45 PM
I'm very pleased with my Canon Digital Rebel. Great pics in full auto and it's small enough to fit in the rear hatch of my car.:confused: Great pics but probably not for your needs. I'd go with Canon optics in any price range.

X5HogTown
03-30-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by sjinto
do you have any problems with the flash range especially when taking indoor pictures?

in the T1 specs it lists the max flash range as 5 feet as opposed to 10 feet with the s500:confused:

The tiny flash works great but it's only good for 5 feet. It's the price you pay for portability. :)

318isCrazy
03-30-2004, 03:23 PM
I would definetly go with S500. A lot more features for the money and better picture quality. It also does ISO settings from 50 to 400 and also does some exposure control. Besides, it will be cheaper to get Compact Flash than Sony memory stick.

Oh and T1 uses one of those new Duo memory sticks...little more money$$$$$

Friend of mine has T1...and she don't like it. Besides the compact design and bigger LCD screen, she'd rather get the bulky Sony V1.

I might be able to get it at a good price if you are interested(on both models). It will be brand new factory fresh with receipt and all....

Shout me a PM if you are interested!!