PDA

View Full Version : fuel pump!

SebSter
03-26-2004, 03:38 AM
So I go to turn on my car, engine turns on after about 5 seconds idling it dies. Im like hmm thats odd. So I try it again, engine turns over, cranks once, bam...dead again.. this goes on a few times.. till i realize 'uh-oh somethings wrong'

So I call up my dad, over the phone we decide it must be the fuel pump is dead... meanwhile im fuming, that this car which i treat like a little princess is ****in quitting on me.. and he gives me the number for some tow truck dude who hooks us up for cheaper tows. So im pacing down the street, call once - no answer. Call again - no answer. At this point im feeling im gonna pop!!, my girlfriends trying to calm me down, my cousins about to give me a number for another towing place when all of a sudden.....

...eureka!! i remember a meet we had a few months back when Terry's fuel pump was practically dead, and he took off the back seat and just smacked on the metal above it a few times to get it to start. So I take off my back seat and start wailing on it, letting out all my anger.. and surely enough I go to try it again and (expecting the worst) it starts, not only does it start but its also running smoother and the throttle isnt as stiff as it was before.

Long story short, THANK YOU TERRY - your crazy antics saved my night, and a LOT of money for a tow (I was pretty far from home). Ive never felt so much relief as when i turned the key and heard the engine rev!

Anyways, more money down the drain now, how much is a new fuel pump gonna run me?

lvan
03-26-2004, 05:26 AM
I heard $500 bucks to get fule pump done.. I think it must be done my mechanic cuz the can get catch fire if not done by pro.... Aks zimmie if he has fuel pumo he sould..... if so then just look for labour to put it in.....
Good luck

felixthecat
03-26-2004, 05:48 AM
i have one seb....i'll put it in for ya for 100$...you just have to ground the tank and yourself.....no big deal....why is everybody so afraid of gas tanks,there not as volatile as you think....

Eurostyle
03-26-2004, 06:26 AM
Yeah, I did the one on Terry's car and had no problems! His car hasnt caught fire (yet!)...:D

MorningCruiser
03-26-2004, 06:38 AM
Fil, can I trust you to work on my car? :D j/k

Ian Sheppard
03-26-2004, 01:28 PM
i had the pump go on my 325 last year, and bought a new one at the stealer for $280. I put it in myself in about 20 mins...Just depresurize the system, haul it out, swap the conectors and gas line and throw the new one in.

chromius
03-26-2004, 02:18 PM
Do our 325's have the 2 pumps? Like the main one and then the Auxiliary pump (transfer pump)? If it does how do you know which one is shot?

bmwm5lover
03-26-2004, 02:29 PM
hahahah, seba. glad to see i unintentionally helped you!
Fuel pump is 400$ from the dealer, i bought an almost brand new one from charlie for 2 bills. ill install it for u, its a piece of cake!

Mystikal
03-26-2004, 02:47 PM
You're lucky. Same thing happened to me at my dad's work, and banging on the tank didn't provide much more than 30 seconds of service. I had to flatbed my baby to the mechanic.

Originally posted by chromius_e30
Do our 325's have the 2 pumps? Like the main one and then the Auxiliary pump (transfer pump)? If it does how do you know which one is shot?

Pre-88 E30's had dual pumps.

SebSter
03-26-2004, 06:47 PM
lol thx for all the advice guys, im gonna take it to my mechanic see if he can hook me up for cheaper, if not ill probably try to find one off here in good condition and get it put in.. this weekends gonna be tough tho cuz i still gotta get out, so ill be in constant risk of breaking down, lol

SebSter
03-26-2004, 07:08 PM
400 from the dealer? felix how new is the one you have?

lvan
03-26-2004, 07:16 PM
I think I was right.... 4 bills just for pump plus the labour is rip off.. on my car water pump is about 80 bucks so with labour most places asked300. Now if you end up getting new pump and labour for $500 you are lucky.
Just get good fuel pump and pay someone for cheap labour.

SebSter
03-26-2004, 07:22 PM
well im hoping someone on here can help me out a little.. im not really overflowing with money right now

BMW_M52_M20
03-26-2004, 08:18 PM
I replaced the fuel pump and the fuel lines at the same time. You might want to check the condition of the gas tank, mine was rusted all around at the seams, so I replaced that asell.

I know you have babied it, but the car is 15 years or so old (don't know what year your car is), so expect to put some money into the car. Just things with age.
TB/tensioner, water pump, gaskets/seals, etc.
Jay

felixthecat
03-26-2004, 08:18 PM
i have no idea to be honest...its out of my 88 325is...it works good is all i know seb.....if your gonna make the trip up here i'll do it for 50$....you should check all the wiring first though...the pump might not be the problem...i had problems like that in my 318..turned out to be a loose clip behind the dash ,near the fuel computer...

bmwm5lover
03-26-2004, 10:34 PM
seba, an 325E pump WILL NOT FIT!That was the first thing i tried when mine broke down, but they are different... Gimme a call, and i cancome take a look at it for u, and i can give u a hand to install it,... ITS REAL EASY!

SebSter
03-26-2004, 10:59 PM
well dan just said its off an 88 325is, so i think it will fit..and for 50dollars i think its worth it even if its old, as long as it works, a new one will cost me well over 400 (which i dont have) so i think ill probably just take the trip up to barrie sometime this week.. terry thx for the offertho, i just wanna get this fixed up as cheaply as possible since im low on funds at the moment

just a question though, is it possible that something was just clogged, and i unclogged it when i smaked it.. cause not only did i have no problems driving today, its actually running smoother than it was before :confused:

lvan
03-27-2004, 01:42 AM
bro one honest advice .....always fil your baby up ...full thank....sometimes u might get that at the botom of thank and I heard it is not good for fuel pump....all bad dust got at the botom...
back home me aND MY boy THAT HAD gas station we always use d to make fun of people that own benz or bmw but put it for 10 deuth mark hahah

bmwm5lover
03-27-2004, 04:04 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
well dan just said its off an 88 325is, so i think it will fit..and for 50dollars i think its worth it even if its old, as long as it works, a new one will cost me well over 400 (which i dont have) so i think ill probably just take the trip up to barrie sometime this week.. terry thx for the offertho, i just wanna get this fixed up as cheaply as possible since im low on funds at the moment

just a question though, is it possible that something was just clogged, and i unclogged it when i smaked it.. cause not only did i have no problems driving today, its actually running smoother than it was before :confused: sorry, i misread felix
's post....

felixthecat
03-27-2004, 05:28 AM
anytime thats good for you seb....i feel bad about your current cash situation....since you have to come all the way up here i'll do it for a large 4cream&4sugar from timmy's...we'll have a look and make sure that the pump is the problem...i have an ohmeter...you have my #,call anytime you want..*th-up*

lvan
03-27-2004, 06:24 AM
Honestly for 50 bones that is hell crazy deal.... One of the most helpfull guys on board is felix......just my 0.002 cents hahah .... You know what those Canadian are inocent so in any way dont know how to screw ya hahaha

snd84318i
03-27-2004, 02:02 PM
i had the pump go on my 325 last year, and bought a new one at the stealer for $280. I put it in myself in about 20 mins

i paid 135 from nopi online and took 20 mins also to install .

ZiMMie
03-27-2004, 02:31 PM
yep for 50$ u cant go wrong. Felix its very helpful. suprise him with a pack of smokes (ultra Light) if u can too ..