PDA

View Full Version : Question about Clutches

Hohner
03-25-2004, 05:06 AM
I own a 1991 318i, and my clutch is slowly wearing down, it's almost on it's way out. I'm going to replace the clutch myself, and I need some advice. I want to purchase a clutch that will never wear out and can withstand driving aggressively. For this overhaul, i'd like suggestions. I know I need to replace the clutch disc and the pressure plate, but what about the flywheel? If so, should I get one of those lightened ones? I've been moving away from the stock OEM clutch discs to either a stage 1 or stage 2 setup... someone, please help me out and gimme a link!

Thanks!*wiggle*

chromius
03-25-2004, 08:48 PM
unfortunatly you can't really have one without the other....a clutch disc will wear out eventually no matter what. Its like a brake pad. you can get long life ones or high performance ones, but one dosn't usually go with the other.

With that said a good combination would be a sachs sport clutch kit, It has a higher torque capacity, but isn't so harsh that it kills you're around town driving. And as for a flywheel I would say its not really worth it, unless you have a short throw shifter, because the engine speed will slow down much faster than normal, and you might find yourself having to compenstate between shifts to match it up. But its your call. Hope this helps.

Hohner
03-26-2004, 01:51 AM
Yeah, it really helps ... any clue to where to get the Sachs Sport Clutch Kit?

Miguel
03-26-2004, 02:17 AM
I have a luk clutch kit for sale $220

snd84318i
03-26-2004, 02:18 AM
how would you know when its starting to go and when you should change it . my car feels like its loosing its power at any gear after 4500 rpms does not pull as much i dont know if it s the clutch or the just the turque . my car is not n great running condition either . any way is this a symtom f clutch loss thanks

Hohner
03-26-2004, 02:20 AM
I feel that getting into any of my gears is getting 'mushy' and when the clutch is dropped the car hesitates ... and is sluggish getting to go. I remember the day when I first started driving it, the clutch felt precise, but now it's all over the place.

chromius
03-26-2004, 02:37 AM
Originally posted by snd84318i
how would you know when its starting to go and when you should change it . my car feels like its loosing its power at any gear after 4500 rpms does not pull as much i dont know if it s the clutch or the just the turque . my car is not n great running condition either . any way is this a symtom f clutch loss thanks

hard to say...it could be your clutch, but clutches tend to slip when pulling away hard from a dead stop, or flooring it while driving at a reasonable speed, because the friction of clutch disk has to overcome the rolling resistance of the car. Once you are already moving the clutch really isn't doing that much work at all, except under hard acceleration.

Hohner
03-26-2004, 03:52 AM
Anyone have a link for a good clutch kit?

chromius
03-26-2004, 12:55 PM
http://www.bavarianautosport.com

Check under their performance section.

snd84318i
04-01-2004, 11:56 AM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
hard to say...it could be your clutch, but clutches tend to slip when pulling away hard from a dead stop, or flooring it while driving at a reasonable speed, because the friction of clutch disk has to overcome the rolling resistance of the car. Once you are already moving the clutch really isn't doing that much work at all, except under hard acceleration.

so the clutch works its hardest at start up ? so if i take off normal and then apply a little more gas during the rest of the gear change , theres not much damage being done ? my car jumps some during changes mostly at second gear . does the presure plate or bearing cause clutch problems ? when i bought the car i was told from the last owner the clutch change before he parted it . he only drove it for about 3 to 4 months . don't know if all of the pieces were change of just the clutch .

chromius
04-01-2004, 01:20 PM
so the clutch works its hardest at start up ? so if i take off normal and then apply a little more gas during the rest of the gear change , theres not much damage being done ? my car jumps some during changes mostly at second gear . does the presure plate or bearing cause clutch problems ? when i bought the car i was told from the last owner the clutch change before he parted it . he only drove it for about 3 to 4 months . don't know if all of the pieces were change of just the clutch .

Yes thats right, starting from a stop when you are letting the clutch out slowly (before the plates are fully engaged), the friction on the plates is what gets the car moving, but this also is what wears the plates down. It does the same thing on every gear change, however not to quite the extent that is does when starting from a dead stop....and the more you are moving and less you are accelerating, the less wear there is....just like a 4th gear to 5th gear change will hardly wear the clutch at all, because you are usually moving quite fast already, and usually not accelerating as much.

For example, when I am not trying to launch my car, starting from a dead stop, I will just push the gas pedal enough to get the car rolling, and then once I have passed the friction zone and the clutch is fully engaged (ie let off the clutch pedal) then I give it more gas to get going.

And if you properly rev match at each gear change or down shift you will significantly reduce the wear on the clutch plates, because the plates dont have to do much work to get the engine at the same speed as the wheels.

chromius
04-01-2004, 01:28 PM
To save your clutch just dont accelerate until your foot is competely off the clutch pedal. Obviously if you are going to floor it to accel quickly this dosn't apply, but it does for every day driving.

One way to practice it is to get going at a constant speed, say 90km/h in 4th gear and do a 4th to 5th shift and back to 4th and then back to 5th etc....and if you are properly rev matching your speed will stay exactly the same, and you know that your clutch isn't doing much work...:)

snd84318i
04-01-2004, 05:02 PM
^^^^ WHAT im lost. this will show me that my clutch is in good condition ? im not to keen on clutches . i like the manual but im still learning . your saying i should let the clutch out completely evertime before pressing the gas except first ? if so if done his and in secound it kindof jumps . is this normal ? does this mean that it is still in good shape ? not slipping ?

chromius
04-01-2004, 06:17 PM
^^^^ WHAT im lost. this will show me that my clutch is in good condition ? im not to keen on clutches . i like the manual but im still learning . your saying i should let the clutch out completely evertime before pressing the gas except first ? if so if done his and in secound it kindof jumps . is this normal ? does this mean that it is still in good shape ? not slipping ?

This won't show you if your clutch is in good condition, this will keep your clutch in good condition, the key is you don't want the clutch to be in the "friction zone" for very long, thats what eats it up. You still want to push the gas pedal when shifting into other gears, but you only want to push it far enough that the engine speed is matching the speed that the wheels/tranny are moving. All the clutch does is match the speed of both. so if you can match it without using the clutch, then that is a lot less strain and work for the clutch disk/pressure plate.

If your car is jumping when in second that usually dosn't mean its slipping, that means that either you are not rev matching properly or that you have another problem. Jumping can usually be a sign that either your tranny mounts, subframe mounts or flex disc is/are bad....or you are just letting the clutch out too fast...

I have 270,000km on my original clutch, and it still feels like brand new...and thats by just taking a little care while shifting.