PDA

View Full Version : To Much Fuel

Spartiatis
05-24-2002, 03:45 AM
I put in my chip a few weeks ago and I noticed that in third gear, the car hesitates a bit. My freind told me that he thinks that there is to much fuel going through. He said that I should go to my machanic so he could bump up the timing. Could this be the problem?

djcontra
05-24-2002, 10:11 AM
no dont listen to him!
the chip already changes the timing in your car i believe ahead a bit. Are you using supreme rated gas? 91octane or higher?

did you try changing your fuel filter? ($25 at a mechanic installed)

chips rely on the o2 sensor alot so i've been told. perhaps it's getting dirty.

Have you tried cleaning your throttle body?

How are your injectors? Did you try resetting your computer?

try all those cheap and easy fixes before doing anything drastic

Autotechnica
05-24-2002, 10:53 AM
You could always try to install an air/fuel ratio guage. My car was buring too rich and I could smell it at idle. Getting the A/F ratio guage will tell you if your car is indeed burning too rich. Either way whether you really need one or not, it looks nice in the interior of the car as well it will provide you with information about your cars fuel mixture, always good to know.

I would rather install an adjustable fuel pressure regulator and the A/F ratio guage to fine tune mixture. I would only install a custom chip once all my mods are complete.

Bryan

djcontra
05-24-2002, 11:43 AM
mtrd: i've seen those fuel regulators. Is that the same as a fuel pressure regulator?

where can i pickup something like this locally, and for how much?
i've always smelled a gas smell around my car, and have always suspected it of running a bit rich.
I wouldn't mind being able to lean out my gas a bit on those days where it's really expensive and i want to conserve it =)

Autotechnica
05-24-2002, 11:55 AM
Originally posted by djcontra
mtrd: i've seen those fuel regulators. Is that the same as a fuel pressure regulator?

where can i pickup something like this locally, and for how much?
i've always smelled a gas smell around my car, and have always suspected it of running a bit rich.
I wouldn't mind being able to lean out my gas a bit on those days where it's really expensive and i want to conserve it =)

Its the same thing, some are adjustable and some are not, the non adjustable ones are just as useless as performance chips. When I say useless I mean in that after a certain amount of mods the chip or non adjustable regulars do nothing, thats when its time to get adjustable regulators or custom made computer chips. If your planning on very simple mods such as intake, exhaust, throttle body and some mods to the ignition, the performance chips and non adjustable regulators will do just fine.

For price and quality I would go for Paxton, American company who sell the adjustable units for under $200 Cdn ciompared to BMP's $500!! They all serve the same purpose. You may also want to find a PSI guage for the unit if it isn't too expensive. The main things you will need is the A/F ratio guage, the FPR is kind of useless without it.

Bryan