PDA

View Full Version : Voice your opinions

SebSter
03-24-2004, 03:38 AM
K, here's my situation.. I have brand new H&R sports sitting in the garage just collecting dust. I wanna get them on the car as soon as i can, I was gonna get them put on this weekend.

Now, there seem to be varying opinions on whether it is ok or not to run these springs with my stock shocks or not. Some people say the shocks will blow for sure, some people are saying its gonna be fine... looking around for shocks, the cheapest set i found was Bilsteins for 375US at hmsmotorsport.com

So for the big question, is it gonna be ok to run the new springs on my stock shocks or not? (keeping in mind that i dont track or auto-x, and the drop is only 1.4" in the front and 1.3" in the back)

thx

Quack
03-24-2004, 03:45 AM
well not knowing how old and worn out your old shocks are, here's your choice, you can put the springs on & see what happens, they might blow because they are old, or save some cash & buy those bilsteins

I would save some cash and have the springs & shocks done at the same time, it would be less labour involved if you do both at the same time

Ian Sheppard
03-24-2004, 03:54 AM
You need shocks. The stock ones will be underdamped, and the car will have a bouncy ride. It is well worth the mony for a set of bilsteins. I've been down that road with my E36, did the springs with stock shocks, and was back in there 3 months later puttin in Bilsteins.

Jordan
03-24-2004, 04:38 AM
If your stock shocks are original, chances are they are already blown or well on their way.

Every e30 I have done suspension on, with 90k-170k miles has had badly worn, or completely blown shocks/struts. The stock Boge units wear quickly.

Now it doesnt matter if you put the lowering springs on with those, or with a brand new set of Boges. The shocks/struts will be working outside of their intended operating range, and as a result they will fail in a very short period of time.

Installing lowering springs, with the stock shocks/struts is a universal no no. Wait until you have all he parts to properly lower your car before you do so. Not only will you save the time and money of having to repeat the labor later to replace the blown shocks, but you will be alot happier with the ride quality and the way the car handles with proper dampeners.

windsor318is
03-24-2004, 04:49 AM
check ebay 4 bilsteins are 349US, that said let the springs collect more dust till you get bilsteins

Miguel
03-24-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by windsor318is
check ebay 4 bilsteins are 349US, that said let the springs collect more dust till you get bilsteins

ditto + are you sure you wanna do this? a dropped ride is a hell of a lot harsher on your arse + it wears down your suspension compnents which on an E30iX ARE NOT CHEAP!

SebSter
03-24-2004, 05:39 AM
The thing is i want a lower ride for sure.. but money is a big issue, if i could afford the shocks right now i would get them in a second.. i was planning to ride on the stock shocks until either fall or next spring around this time when i would be able to afford the new ones... how long do you guys suppose that the stock shocks would last?

ps, i need to pimp around this summer with a low ride!! lol

pss, you guys suck, where are the bad influences at that will tell me to do it?

Jordan
03-24-2004, 06:26 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
how long do you guys suppose that the stock shocks would last?

About 1 week. That is if they are in good condition, which they most likely are not. Did you read my post, or are you just in denial, or what?

felixthecat
03-24-2004, 10:29 AM
if your stockers are still in good shape then your fine to put those springs in..you're gonna be supriised at how little a 1.4 drop gives you...it will be hard to notice its even been lowered

hammoj28
03-24-2004, 01:06 PM
I've heard that if you keep stock shocks then ride quality will be like shit.

BMW_M52_M20
03-24-2004, 01:55 PM
Look at it this way, you will do the springs without shocks plus an alignment. Then when the OEM shocks punch out, you will have to go back in there and pay agaion for labour.
I would wait, do it all at once.
I have been in cars that have just springs and they feel and ride like As$. They look stupid on the road bouncing all over the place.
Jay

chromius
03-24-2004, 03:00 PM
Man, If I were you I would wait until you can do it right, don't half ass it when it comes to suspension....otherwise you might as well save money on the springs too and just cut your stock ones:rolleyes: .
Besides I think your ride looks pimpin' even without the lowering.*th-up*

SebSter
03-24-2004, 03:01 PM
About 1 week. That is if they are in good condition, which they most likely are not. Did you read my post, or are you just in denial, or what?

yeah i read it, i think they'll last a little more than that.. but either way, doesnt seem like a good ida to do

if your stockers are still in good shape then your fine to put those springs in..you're gonna be supriised at how little a 1.4 drop gives you...it will be hard to notice its even been lowered

thats why i figured it would work with the stock shocks still, and im not looking to slam it, i just wanna close up the fender gap

Jay, you're right, I would be wasting the money for the labor.. in all honesty i was thinking that with such a subtle drop, i woudlnt even need to change the shocks, I dont know anymore though, ill have to see.. i dunno if i can justify spending $600 more just so i can drop the car such a small amount

bmwm5lover
03-24-2004, 04:52 PM
welcome to my world./.. im in the same boat as u./..

BMW_M52_M20
03-24-2004, 08:19 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
Jay, you're right, I would be wasting the money for the labor.. in all honesty i was thinking that with such a subtle drop, i woudlnt even need to change the shocks, I dont know anymore though, ill have to see.. i dunno if i can justify spending $600 more just so i can drop the car such a small amount

Yeah buddy, Labour is expensive for doing shocks springs and alignment. Better to do in one go. I went and did my shocks right away only because I knew they were punched out. Plus with a longer stock shock, the spring will not fit in the spring holder/plate, so if you ever go over a big bump and get air (not saying that you would), the spring may move around. The sport shocks are shorter so the shock plates clamp over properly with a shorter spring.
Cheers
Jay

MorningCruiser
03-24-2004, 09:19 PM
So are you telling me it's a bad idea to jump Dan's car after I buy it? :D

SebSter
03-24-2004, 09:30 PM
what suspension is he running?

MorningCruiser
03-24-2004, 09:31 PM
HR drop springs, ghetto super dropped (aka, heated them for extra drop) :D

SebSter
03-24-2004, 09:45 PM
stock shocks? how long has he been like this for?

bmwm5lover
03-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
HR drop springs, ghetto super dropped (aka, heated them for extra drop) :D
sounds tempting....