PDA

View Full Version : Tight Suspension

drkcyd
05-23-2002, 09:53 PM
I need some advice of a modification, just picked up my 1994 318is, everyone including myself who has gotten into the car has complained that the ride is very harsh...I took it to chuck (thanks for the hook up sickfinger) and he says that the suspension is fine he only had to change the rear shock mount...Cdn tire says the rear shocks need to be changed (hey don't laugh..i work at head office and get a discount) my dilema the previous owner lowered the car supposedly with a m3 suspension...but maybe i'm getting older but the ride is way to harsh and i don't feel any real performance improvement...I just got out of my friends 1988 stock honda civic and it had better ride quality than my beemer....should I change the shocks or could it be the lowering springs....I can get a great deal on tokico shocks through cdn tire for 36% off retail or I can go for the bilstein Touring shocks or should I be looking at my lowering springs first....and replace them.

KIRASIR
05-24-2002, 11:01 AM
Just get some used stock springs and swap the performance ones out.(I am assuming your car is lowered) The ride quality should greatly improve. It would also be nice to know what kind of shocks you have in there right now. If they are performance ones, just leave them as is. Stock springs with performance shocks make the ride slightly harshier but nowhere near uncomfortable. There is also things like swaybars, and bushings.

It would be really nice to know first what the hell was done to the car before trying to improve the ride quality.

Serge

Originally posted by drkcyd
I need some advice of a modification, just picked up my 1994 318is, everyone including myself who has gotten into the car has complained that the ride is very harsh...I took it to chuck (thanks for the hook up sickfinger) and he says that the suspension is fine he only had to change the rear shock mount...Cdn tire says the rear shocks need to be changed (hey don't laugh..i work at head office and get a discount) my dilema the previous owner lowered the car supposedly with a m3 suspension...but maybe i'm getting older but the ride is way to harsh and i don't feel any real performance improvement...I just got out of my friends 1988 stock honda civic and it had better ride quality than my beemer....should I change the shocks or could it be the lowering springs....I can get a great deal on tokico shocks through cdn tire for 36% off retail or I can go for the bilstein Touring shocks or should I be looking at my lowering springs first....and replace them.

'88 325e
05-24-2002, 11:13 AM
I can get a great deal on tokico shocks through cdn tire for 36% off retail or I can go for the bilstein Touring shocks or should I be looking at my lowering springs first....and replace them.

AAAAACCCCCKKKKKK!!!!!!! Don't go with Tokico's! They are crap! I have blown to shocks with in 6 months of buying them! BMW's are too heavy for Tokico's (they are fine for light cars like Civic's). I strongly suggest you save up the extra coin and getting the Billstiens. Billstiens are a lot better quality and can handle the weight of are heavy cars (A quote from my mechanic in a thick Scottish accent: "You don't see Tokicos on the new M5's! Billstiens are the way to go." And springs definatly are a must. I have heard nothing but good things about H&R's and pick the drop you want. Just realize the lower you go the stiffer the ride. BTW your ride sounds like my car when I bought it. Stock struts and shocks with aftermarket springs (BIG NO! NO! Because it eats up the weak rear shock mounts. I suggest going with the convertable or M3 shock mounts due to the fact that the regular 325 mounts are weak).

L8R,
Dave

drkcyd
05-24-2002, 07:55 PM
thanks guys i really appreciate the feedback...the ride quality is so bad I hate to drive right now...and hate it when other people get in the car and they always say ...nice car ...but my butt hurts...

drkcyd
05-24-2002, 08:13 PM
(Don't go with Tokico's! They are crap! I have blown to shocks with in 6 months of buying them! BMW's are too heavy for Tokico's (they are fine for light cars like Civic's)

Are we talking about the same Tokico..the ones I am talking about are the ones that they just released specifically for BMW's

(http://www.tokicogasshocks.com/car/car_feature.html)

However I am going to first find out what the hell is under there...for all I know the springs were just cut...I don't believe that an m3 suspension is this harsh.....I'll try changing the springs to stock and changing the shocks to the touring bilsteins....

'88 325e
05-25-2002, 08:38 AM
Are we talking about the same Tokico..the ones I am talking about are the ones that they just released specifically for BMW's?

I checked out the link and I still say to go with the Bilstien's! They are proven that they are a great quality shock. Yes they cost more but think if you get the Tokicos and you have to replace them more often. The cost of removal/installation is not covered under warranty!

Good luck,
Dave