PDA

View Full Version : Group M Intake

///MsAniTy
03-23-2004, 01:58 AM
is this thing actually worth it i mean its $1200 or somthin like that one of my friends dads wants a intake for his m3 and is asking is it really worth it? any gains? Give me the real scoop

Quack
03-23-2004, 02:01 AM
I think it's worth what you pay for, I'm planning on getting the Gruppe M for my car, the one for the E46 M3 is very nice, good gains, good quality and cheaper than Dinan

///MsAniTy
03-23-2004, 02:02 AM
is there a way to get it for cheaper i mean a intake for 1200 holllyness

Quack
03-23-2004, 02:10 AM
where did you check for pricing, call www.rennsport.com , it might seem steep, but Dinan want $1600 for my car, Gruppe M wants only $1200, but I think Gruppe M just looks much better

ZiMMie
03-23-2004, 02:12 AM
Gruppe M Sounds nuts.
Go for the Gruppe M u will be amazed perfomace and sound wise.

Quack
03-23-2004, 02:13 AM
see, ZiMMie knows what I'm talking about

///MsAniTy
03-23-2004, 02:17 AM
so how much is it roughly for the e46 m3? cuz i dont kno if he got good pricing or not.

ZiMMie
03-23-2004, 02:24 AM
U should order it directly from the manufature..

http://www.gruppemna.com/products_order.php?prod_id=19

tlaselva
03-23-2004, 02:27 AM
Gruppe M released this intake when I had my E46 M3.

They 'claimed' a 12 HP gain, but like many manufactures claims, they tend to be optimistic.
People were asking, including myself a before and after dyno run with this intake.
4 weeks later, it never came....:huh?:

Some people with this intake have noted at best a 5 HP gain on a E46 M3. Many have noted only 1 to 2 HP.....:rolleyes:

Needless to say, I didn't buy it. Hell for that money, they should also package Cindy Crawford for a weekend.... :D

Just my experience when I was looking into this intake for my E46 M3.

Kal
03-23-2004, 02:32 AM
$1200 for an intake?

hold on let me repeat that ... $1200 for an intake?!

dude that is insane ... invest else where

crusher
03-23-2004, 05:00 AM
watch e46toronto, someone was selling one for 600 or 800 CND

golden
03-23-2004, 05:42 PM
$612.47 USD for a 325ci intake

u can get it from Rennsport for 469 US

EMPOWERD
03-23-2004, 09:23 PM
Don't bother with the GruppeM intake... Carbonio has come out with an E46 intake system now that surpasses the GruppeM is everyway (cost, fit & finish, flow, availability). Email Carbonio for more info on the spring '04 release date.

golden
03-24-2004, 01:57 AM
well, the Carbonio goes right down to the bottom like the Dinan one... so it wouldnt be wise to use it in the winter

where the Gruppe is a short ram intake, and you can use it year round

Daft
03-24-2004, 06:05 PM
I have the GruppeM on my M3 and it has proven gains. They will be very little on a stock car but add a cat-back and you will see much more gains. It also sounds cool to!

http://www.daftproductions.com/m3/m3gruppem1s.jpg

///MsAniTy
03-24-2004, 10:40 PM
daft check yr pm.

golden
03-24-2004, 10:47 PM
the gruppe M sounds like nothing else
idont know what they do

but it sounds killer

people say its worth the money just for the sound

STALKER
03-27-2004, 07:54 PM
I got one these babies on my M3 just like Daft. I have no regrets about buying it. The quality of amazing.

golden
03-28-2004, 04:33 PM
Stalker, your such a pimp man.... your car is crazy

do you still have HRE wheels?

Quack
03-28-2004, 04:52 PM
Gruppe M intake & HRE wheels on E46 M3 all I gotta say is *mw*

golden
03-28-2004, 06:15 PM
i think he has a Gruppe M Titanium Exhaust as well!

Quack
03-28-2004, 06:46 PM
Golden you better stop teasing me, now I gotta go drive around Burlington to look for his car

STALKER
03-29-2004, 07:59 PM
hey guys, sold the HREs. Was not to happy with them. Have my Silver special order BBS RS-GTs coming in though. Just waiting for the Michelin PS2 tires. Gruppe M intakes are $$$, but in terms of quality, they are second to none. Actually there are two ballers in Burlington, Daft's car is mad nice, even though I have not yet seen him.

golden
03-29-2004, 11:18 PM
Stalker do you have a gruppe M titanium exhaust?

STALKER
03-30-2004, 12:32 AM
Nope, I have a Eisenmann Meisterchaft SUS. The Ti exhaust are way to loud for my taste or I would have picked one up. They really sing.

Quack
03-30-2004, 12:39 AM
is the Eisenmann exhaust titanium and does it have the blueish burnt tip look?

STALKER
03-30-2004, 01:19 AM
I have the SUS, which is stainless steel, they make Ti version. But mine is the Meisterchaft, its better quality then normal Eisenmann, its also a bit louder. Daft use to have the Ti version. All Ti exhaust have the flamed tips.

golden
03-30-2004, 01:44 AM
hmm, i musta got you mixed up with someone else, sorry

STALKER, what do you do for a living!? you have the best toys

Quack
03-30-2004, 01:52 AM
hey Golden I think you are referring to Sicktoy, he's got a laguna Seca E46 M3 with HRE, Gruppe M intake & exhaust TI version

Mystikal
03-30-2004, 02:09 AM
Originally posted by golden
well, the Carbonio goes right down to the bottom like the Dinan one... so it wouldnt be wise to use it in the winter

That's okay. Check out the AEM Bypass Valve, I've seen the test where they submerged the cone in a fish tank and proceeded to redline an NSX through the gears. :eek:

STALKER
03-30-2004, 07:09 AM
Golden, no probs, I had all that stuff but sold it for the new stuff. Im in the dental field right now but Im thinking of going into business with my father soon, so a change is on the way, hopefully the car can stay. You might also be thinking of Daft, he has all these toys, plus some other nice pieces.

Daft
03-31-2004, 04:11 AM
Originally posted by STALKER
hey guys, sold the HREs. Was not to happy with them. Have my Silver special order BBS RS-GTs coming in though. Just waiting for the Michelin PS2 tires. Gruppe M intakes are $$$, but in terms of quality, they are second to none. Actually there are two ballers in Burlington, Daft's car is mad nice, even though I have not yet seen him. heh ya... I drive my car nearly everyday and have not seen any Topaz Blue ///M's in Burlington yet. Do me a favour, if you see my car on the road get my attention somehow and i'll stop to chat. And i wanna see your BBS's..

HIM
03-31-2004, 05:44 AM
I was looking into getting one for the 330i. Its 469USD + 20USD for shipping from Rennsport, for the 330i that is. I've heard nothing but good comments about it from e46fanatics. When anyone asks what the best intake is they all say GruppeM. "The design of the Gruppe M is like no other. It is not a
tube that air is traveling through. It gathers the air and then condenses it to create more volume which is a lot more efficient." - Sam from rennsport

STALKER
03-31-2004, 05:06 PM
Daft, will do buddy. I live between Walkers and Appleby. I usually am not in Burlington though, just eat and sleep there pretty much. Hopefully I pump into you. You going to the meet on April 11th?

Carbonio
04-28-2004, 10:08 PM
Hi All,

As Empowered mentionned, yes we do have an intake now available for the E46 M3. We have been keeping it a little on the down low because our dealers are buying all of our production before we get it. We are now starting to get a few for ourselves to sell and will be putting it up on the website soon. On this one we actually first purchased a GruppeM system and then improved on it A LOT. Our casing is similar with the following improvements:

1. We used our proprietary 'thermal barrier' construction which yields a carbon fiber part with much less thermal conductivity than just regular carbon.

2. Our carbon pieces are made of pre-preg material and autoclave baked which is much stronger and lighter than the wet lamination process Gruppe M uses.

3. We use a one piece induction horn rather than the 8 pieces used by GruppeM. This results in a part that flows much better and looks far more finished than the 'piece meal' Gruppe M setup.

4. Our filter has more filtration area and flows considerably better than the unit offered by GruppeM

The best part is surely the price. Not only does our intake surpass, GruppeM's in every respect, at $799USD it is many hundreds of dollars cheaper.

We currently have a few pieces in stock and please call us for more info. We do not check the forums very often so please do not rely on us to answer post replies. The best way is to call or e-mail us.

Thanks

The Carbonio Team

www.carbonio.net
info@carbonio.net

golden
04-29-2004, 12:46 AM
the gruppe M can be had for 450 USD from rennsport

how much is one for e46 325ci?

Carbonio
04-29-2004, 12:54 AM
Do not confuse any of the E46 systems made by GruppeM or ourselves with the one for the M3. The M3 intake is a totally different beast.

golden
04-29-2004, 01:06 AM
sorry, your right

hook me up with a intake.. u can use me as a show car :)

Quack
04-29-2004, 01:11 AM
Carbonio you guys gotta make something for my E39 540, if not then I got to go with Gruppe M

STALKER
04-29-2004, 04:43 AM
I would have to see the intake and see a dyno to believe it, the Gruppe M has been around and is proven. What sort of filter do you guys use for your intake.

e46it
04-29-2004, 05:41 AM
i got the gruppeM CAI in my car now and i love it... the sound after 4000 rpm is unreal.....*mw*

tlaselva
04-29-2004, 06:36 AM
Carbonio, any chance you will make an intake for a 4.4 X5........:)

BiMMeR_2_Nv
04-29-2004, 03:18 PM
Hey Carbonio... how much does an intake run for.. for a 1999 e46 323i ??

Rolled_Out
05-09-2004, 07:47 AM
Originally posted by golden

WRONG.
PLEASE know what you are talking about BEFORE you post it.
It's only a long arm on the 3 series, and NOT the M3.

The Carbonio system is MUCH better than the GM in every way. Looks, price, SOUND, and everything else.
Most people, not all, but most agree GM makes very little, or NO sound difference in the M3!
http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=154965&page=2&pp=20&highlight=gruppe+sound

Brian_m3's car was the M3 testcar for Carbonio, and let me tell you, this thing ROCKED. Screw Gruppe M and there garbage intake for a high price.

http://members.roadfly.com/m3widebody/c1.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/m3widebody/c2.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/m3widebody/c3.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/m3widebody/c4.jpg http://members.roadfly.com/m3widebody/c5.jpg

STALKER
05-10-2004, 09:21 AM
Looks like a pretty good Gruppe M replica to me. I would have to know the specifics of what makes this any different than a Gruppe M and not anything general like our filter is better ro our CF is stronger.

Carbonio
05-10-2004, 09:18 PM
Originally posted by STALKER
Looks like a pretty good Gruppe M replica to me. I would have to know the specifics of what makes this any different than a Gruppe M and not anything general like our filter is better ro our CF is stronger.

Allow us to point out the design advantages of our system over that offered by GruppeM:

1. Material selection.

Our intakes are made of our proprietary thermal barrier carbon fiber. Compared to GruppeM that uses regular carbon or carbon/kevlar laid up wet, we use pre-preg material that is autoclave baked. The result is a thinner, stronger and much lighter part that absorbs heat a fraction as much as the GruppeM system. Cooler temps mean cooler intake charges and more power.

2. The intake horn

The intake horn used by GruppeM is made up of 8 seperate pieces while we have an optimised light alloy design that is made up of only one piece. The result is much less turbulence in the intake airstream giving you more power and better throttle response. Also, the single piece looks much more finished than the GruppeM unit that looks like a bunch of pieces cobbled together.

3. The filter

Matched to the intake horn is a filter designed specifically for the application. We tried many filter designs and found that there was much to be gained through filter shape and construction.

4. The price

Our intake is priced much cheaper than GruppeM's because our composite production contracts allow for it. In designing our product we were aware of GruppeM's design and managed to improve on it in EVERY respect.

Please remember that questions are best asked on the phone or via e-mail because we rarely check the forums.

Carbonio
www.carbonio.net

STALKER
05-11-2004, 04:50 AM
I read this info before, it does not provide any real information though, to me they are just claims. If I could see some numbers, or some proof of these advantages, I would be wiling to switch, but until that, the Gruppe M is tested and has been on the market for a long time.

Crazy3Series
05-27-2004, 10:19 PM
Has anyone got one of these Carbonio intakes installed yet for an E46? If so, where did you get it done, how much did it cost? Does it sound good? What is the horsepower gain like?

Thanks much for your help.

A.

STALKER
05-28-2004, 02:16 AM
Bliss has one, try PMing him about it.

///MsAniTy
05-28-2004, 02:25 AM
i have hears bliss's car and it sounds very nice if i may say and i would reccomend it although i havnts heard the one that group m has for the e46

Crazy3Series
06-08-2004, 05:19 PM
I installed the carbonio intake this weekend and its pretty sweet. The only thing is that you only hear it at higher RPM, but its sounds really cool when it does kick in. I highly recommend it.