PDA

View Full Version : Please help me, accidentally cut wires

BladeRunner
03-22-2004, 04:49 PM
Please help me, accidentally cut wires to my new H4 headlights (outers hi/low). I was thinking of just soldering the wires together and placing some electrical tape around it but moisture will just settle in there and rust wire and possibly impede the current.

Then I had another idea solder wires back together then crimp them, but I'm not sure about moisture settling in the crimp.

Lastly, I was shopping and came across the handyman isle I walked down it and saw something name splice. It's used to join either a cut wire or two seperate wires together. It has a straight through design unlike the crimper but it can be clapped like the crimper. Lastly, I read a section on the box and it read "contracts on heat and is water tight."

So which of these methods would be best to rejoin my headlight wires, or maybe recommend something I have thought of.

MorningCruiser
03-22-2004, 08:44 PM
Heatshrink tubing, slide heatshrink down the wire (appropriate size), solder them together, wait for it to dry/cool, then slide heatshrink over and use a heatgun.

burtonownz
03-23-2004, 12:05 AM
Yeah, exactly. MorningCruiser has the right idea...

If you want the place where the wires split to be even stronger, back weave each fiber into the other side and then solder it and then heat the heat shrink tubing.

BladeRunner
03-24-2004, 01:47 AM
If by heat gun your refering to a blow drier for the hair I have that. Either of you ever done this before?

burtonownz
03-24-2004, 02:13 AM
No, it's actually not the same thing. I'm pretty sure a blow dryer can't get hot enough. I couldn't tell you how much one of them costs, but go to a hardware store and ask or look for heat guns and they'll show you. If you have some kind of electronics store near you, I'm sure they'd have one too or at least be able to show you one.

Here's an example of one:
heat gun (http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00002246F/104-9814217-3554332?v=glance)

It's probably overkill unless you think you'll need one in the future but they are different things from blow dryers for hair.

Good luck.

Quack
03-24-2004, 02:30 AM
for god sake people, you can use a lighter, you just have to be careful that's all, I use heatshrink almost everyday and I heat it with a mini torch

MorningCruiser
03-24-2004, 06:57 AM
Mini torch and lighter are two diff things, a mini torch does it from 3" away, a lighter has to be 5mm above the flame...

Mini torches work too, they're just, useless for everything else...

SebSter
03-24-2004, 02:41 PM
a lighter does work too, ive used it before....or if you want you can just get a lighter with the blue flame, and do it from a bit farther away.. theres no point in wasting money for a heat gun for just one little job

MorningCruiser
03-24-2004, 07:49 PM
I have a heatgun though, it is handy for a lot of things, believe it or not it even helps for tough bolts, and it's safer than using oxy-ace sometimes...

BladeRunner
03-25-2004, 04:43 PM
cool, thanks for the replies. i don't think i want use a lighter might start a fire so i'll use the blower.

T.Dot_E30
03-25-2004, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
cool, thanks for the replies. i don't think i want use a lighter might start a fire so i'll use the blower.

LOL.....take your car to a shop then, you were capable of cutting the wires but can't use a lighter to heat up a little piece of plastic (shrink wrap) around a wire?

its not like ur working with fuel lines.

BladeRunner
03-25-2004, 09:46 PM
the lighter isn't out of the question just don't fell comfortable using it near flameables. I have the typical wasted oil spots and dripping in the engine bay.

Simiply put I'm a clumsy person so don't want to drop lighter and start a fire, just trying to be cautious and wait until i feel comfortable.

oh yeah as far as I know I didn't cut the wires, someone else did and just put them back together with electrical tape.

Quack
03-25-2004, 09:53 PM
it will be alright, I do a lot of wiring at work, go get a mini torch at a convience store, you can find one for a few bucks