PDA

View Full Version : air intake

tokayd
05-23-2002, 06:09 PM
Hi Guys... Ive got a 2001 325Ci and I was thinking of fiddling with the restrictive factory air intake... I know the best option is to get a cold air intake but as you know they are such a hussle to clean (removal of the front bumper) and you got the risk of flooding the engine if you live in a country where it rains a lot... What do you reckon about an open air filter... I heard that open air filters actually decrease the performance of the car as they can take the hot air from the engine... I guess the best option is to get a replacement inbox air filter.... it wouldnt boost the power that much but at least its reliable and wouldnt knock out couple of years from engine's life... What dou you guys think on this.. Let me know.. thanks*wave*

330DTM
05-23-2002, 11:19 PM
I'd say get an ECIS Cold Air Intake.
It comes with a heatsheild properly built for your model to remove the hot air coming from the engine bay.
This intake does not sit like where the Diana CAI's do (i.e. located near lower section of front bumper). It sits where the intake box originally sits. For sure this setup, you won't run in the the case of having the intake flooded because of how high it sits.

Here's the URL:

Click Here (http://www.ecisbmw.com/product_files/intakes/01_E46325intake.htm)

BMW_M52_M20
05-26-2002, 11:58 AM
Yeah, I have a 98 323is and I was worried about that too. I went and bought an ECIS intake with the heatshield and I love it. The sound is great and after even say 5 mins of cruising, if you open up the hood, the intake bay is cold, not mild or luke warm but cold!
I drove back from London, Ont last night to my home in Oakville and when I got home, I opened up the hood, and the intake and inatke pipe and bay were freezing cold, and this is when it was 14.5 C at night. Pretty good investment I think.
Ciao
Jay