PDA

View Full Version : The ///M logo

WoLF
05-23-2002, 02:37 AM
I'd like to know what everyone thinks about putting a ///M logo on the grille or back of your car. We're not talking the ///M3 logo..

Would you discourage putting it on a car such as mine? An 87 325e E30.

I'm also wondering about getting ///M stuff to put in the car, like the shift knob for example.

So, what do you think?

Slowered318
05-23-2002, 02:57 AM
well i know the E30 325is comes with "m" logo shift knob and wheel.. but as far as M325 M540 ect. that looks ghetto

WoLF
05-23-2002, 03:18 AM
You talking about the badge?

As for my wheel, it came with a 4 spoke one. With a horn button on each, no ///M logo in sight. Plus its an auto, so it doesn't need a knob, I was just making an example.

What does everyone else think?

Gamite
05-23-2002, 04:04 AM
Personally I think the "badge" is tacky, just the badge, I mean its like a $10 piece of coloured plastic, if you pay the money to get like rims or a shift knob thats different, no need to buy some little badge to prove anything.

But thats just my opinion, I have no beef with people putting badges on their cars, people are intitled to do whatever they want to their cars, I just hate it when they try to fake an M3/M5

mike125k
05-23-2002, 11:24 AM
i think it makes a normal car look stupid when you put ///M badges on it. but i shouldnt talk i have an ///M logo shift knob, but thats because it was actually cheaper than the normal one without the ///M. go figure:huh?: i think those are ok since they arnt on the outside for everyone to see. its only there for you so you can dream that you are driving an ///M car :D

GR8 Ride
05-23-2002, 12:11 PM
Originally posted by 318iSwim
well i know the E30 325is comes with "m" logo shift knob and wheel.. but as far as M325 M540 ect. that looks ghetto

Better be careful on that one.

In 1995, BMW Canada imported 32 official M540i's into Canada.

Full E34 M5 carriage (brakes, suspension etc), with the 4.0L V-8 instead of the 3.8L inline 6.

Very nice car, and VERY quick....

If you see a car badged as an M540i, then there is a good chance it's official. The car was hand finished at Garching, which is the now BMW Individual plant (formerly the BMW M plant).

Pat

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 12:36 PM
I saw a 318 with a ///M badge on it recently. I talked to him a bit and found out he had more ///M stuff than a US spec M3! Well minus the engine of course. He had the M3 LWT aluminum control arms, X-brace, M-tech suspension, full M3 body kit, custom fitted M3 exhaust, M3 euro airbox custom fitted, M3 sway bars and endlinks and finally an "///M318" badge in the rear. I'd say this guy deserved that ///M badge and I have no objection to what he did. Even my 318 had M3 sway bars,x-brace,M3 suspension and was even thinking of the M3 muffler, I didn't put the ///M badge on though. My car is debadged.

Bryan

MP525i
05-23-2002, 01:12 PM
I say if you're pushing a 3.2L M engine conversion with a super/turbo charger as well, I would definetly put the M badge on. If it's stock then I wouldn't cause you don't have the HP to back up the badge. People would see the M and wanna race. Then it all goes down hill.

Slowered318
05-23-2002, 01:19 PM
hahah good way to put it

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 04:50 PM
Originally posted by MP525i
I say if you're pushing a 3.2L M engine conversion with a super/turbo charger as well, I would definetly put the M badge on. If it's stock then I wouldn't cause you don't have the HP to back up the badge. People would see the M and wanna race. Then it all goes down hill.

M-technik does not just refer to the engine. They are world famous for their handling capabilities. And since the US spec M3 isn't a "real" M3 engine, just what does the "m" stand for?

Bryan

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 04:53 PM
if you want my opinion.

Don't waste money on the badge, M318 looks ghetto, debadge it for a nice clean look.
Small M badge on the grill looks nice, so go with it, but don't put M badge on the trunk.

Bad-Karma, yeah I just read about those M540 in BIMMER magazine, each car is marked like euro m3s. Pretty cool cars, if I had one, I wouldn't drive it keep it as a collection car.

btw there is also M635csi

Gamite
05-23-2002, 05:32 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
Bad-Karma, yeah I just read about those M540 in BIMMER magazine, each car is marked like euro m3s. Pretty cool cars, if I had one, I wouldn't drive it keep it as a collection car.

So far I've seen only 4 of these on the road and one in an auto trader. I'd love to get my hands on one. I remember the first one I saw, I thought it was fake, it was purple, then when I looked inside, EVERYTHING was marked with ///M on it, it so much that I knew that this wasnt some personal upgrade.

Gamite
05-23-2002, 05:40 PM
Really? schweeet. :D

BMW_M52_M20
05-23-2002, 06:23 PM
I have an M///323is on my user name, just for a laugh because it isn't one, but don't put one on your car, it is like a regular civic and putting a type R badge on it!
Ciao
Jay

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by MTRD

M-technik does not just refer to the engine. They are world famous for their handling capabilities. And since the US spec M3 isn't a "real" M3 engine, just what does the "m" stand for?

Bryan

hmm why it is not REAL m3 engine, yes it is real but it is a cheaper version of m3 engine.
So if BMW put m sign on it, it is real

GR8 Ride
05-23-2002, 07:19 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3
There's also ///M535i in the early '80's......

And actually, that was the first *official* ///M car that BMW produced.

The M1 was never really intended as a road-going vehicle, so the M535i was the first vehicle truly built for public consumption.

They were never available in North America though.

The E28 M5 was next, followed by the ///M6, and then the E30 M3, and then the E34 M5, which (along with the M540i for Canada) was the last ///M vehicle produced at the Garching ///M plant in Germany. Now all ///M vehicles are produced on the normal assembly lines alongside non-M badged cars.

The E46 M3 was actually not going to be called an M3, but rather the 330 CSi (much like the 4.6iS and the 850 CSi). BMW Motorsport didn't think it worthy of the ///M badge, but BMW Marketing (which is the new ///M!!) did. Marketing one, and hence the new ///M3.

There were also several non-M badged cars which were certainly worthy of one; the 635 CSi and the 850 CSi being the two most common.

One of BMW M's requirements for the badge is availability of a manual transmission. The X5 4.6iS can't have an ///M badge because it's an automatic tranny only.

There is quite a collection of politics in which ///M cars are imported into North America and which aren't. Prior to 1996, BMW Canada and BMW-NA were two separate entities, and cars imported into one might not have been imported into others.

BMW-NA was pissed at Canada getting the '94 Euro M3 and '95 M540i so much so that BMW AG gave BMW-NA the M3 LTW in 1995 to make up for it. That model was never offered in Canada.

From 1996 on, BMW-NA has determined which cars would be imported into both Canada and the United States (due primarily to consistent regulation of import restrictions).

The 1994 Euro M3 we got because of an old Canadian law which allowed the importing of any vehicle which was already certified (smog, safety etc) in at least one of a short list of countries. A couple of European countries were on that list, and BMW Canada was allowed to import the Euro M3. That law was changed in 1995....and the rest is history.

Pat

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 07:25 PM
M1 was available for publicm I think just about 400 were made.
and all CSI cars considered as M cars. The VIN starts with WBS

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 07:34 PM
I really have no idea, but I don't think e36 and up models were hand built, too many cars were made

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 08:10 PM

hmm why it is not REAL m3 engine, yes it is real but it is a cheaper version of m3 engine.
So if BMW put m sign on it, it is real

The US specification E36 M3 engines are simply upgraded 325 engines w/ a different intake manifold and a larger bore, everyone knows that. So in actuallity they aren't the "real" M3's where as most other "///M" cars still have the same or similar Euro spec design engines.

Bryan

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 09:10 PM
1. 95 m3 had tuned up 325 engine, 96 and up had 328 engine.
2. I thought camshaft are different too.

if M division placed an m sign than is it real M.
Most bimmer are 6cyl except 1.5-1.8 engine, so this is not a real bimmer?

M Roadster and M coupe comes with 240hp engines I believe in Europe.
So what I'm trying to say that it IS an m engine except that is it a cheaper version.

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 10:22 PM
1. 95 m3 had tuned up 325 engine, 96 and up had 328 engine.
2. I thought camshaft are different too.

if M division placed an m sign than is it real M.
Most bimmer are 6cyl except 1.5-1.8 engine, so this is not a real bimmer?

M Roadster and M coupe comes with 240hp engines I believe in Europe.
So what I'm trying to say that it IS an m engine except that is it a cheaper version.

Most modern day BMW's are 6 cyl. BMW was famous for the 4 cyl engines.

You are kinda comparing oranges to apples here. I was saying that the US spec E36 M3 isn't a real M3 ENGINE, which means it wasn't built from the bottom up like the Euro spec engine was, it was simply a modified engine. What would a 4 cyl BMW not be a BMW? I don't get it. The US spec M3 engine is still a great engine don't get me wrong, but I don't think its comparable to the REAL ///M.

Anyways, like I said earlier. There are other things which make a BMW an ///M besides just the engine. I'm not insulting your car Vlad, I'm simply stating the truth.

My own 318 engine was an M42, a US spec motor which was based on the 850 engine design. Its a nice engine design but still not a true Eurospec, so in a way I do feel like I'm not driving a true German made BMW.

Bryan

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 10:27 PM
bmw famous for 4cyl engines?

are you kidding? From what I've heard 4cyl bmw engines are most unreliable bmw engines.(not e30 m3s)

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 10:29 PM
bmw famous for 4cyl engines?

are you kidding? From what I've heard 4cyl bmw engines are most unreliable bmw engines.(not e30 m3s)

Thats correct. Read up on their racing history. Lots of 4 cyl competitors.

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 10:33 PM
m1 - 6cyl
3.5csl - 6cyl
3.0csl - 6cyl

I know that you are not trying to insult my car, what i'm trying to say that how can it be not real M if BMW put M sign on it?

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 10:35 PM
Man, you left out the most famous 4 cyl of all! The 2002?

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 10:35 PM

Vlady,you are misinformed there.

Bmw started out with their 4 cylinder engines. They were and still are the most successful engine,not only in racing,but also in sales. The legendary 2002 model really saved BMW from Banruptcy. The 2002 has a 4 cylinder engine and passsed it in the 320i e21. Then in '83-'84 the 318 was born.

hmmm I always though Isetta saved BMW from banrupticy.

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 10:38 PM
Man, you left out the most famous 4 cyl of all! The 2002?

yeah 2002 Turbo was 4cyl.

also when someone say BMW i think i6.

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 10:38 PM

hmmm I always though Isetta saved BMW from banrupticy.

I remember it was the 2002. People didn't like the larger BMW's at that time so BMW came up with a more compact design. It sold like hot cakes and it was also a rust bucket! hehe

Anyways,

Vlad, BMW 4 cyl engines are just as reliable as the 6 cyl engines. Theoretically 4 cyl engines will have more wear than 6 cyl since they need to work harder but thats about it.

Bryan

SickFinga
05-23-2002, 10:41 PM
I dunno how reliable 4cyl, I never had or knew someone wirh 4cyl bmw. Wehn I lived in Estonia most of my friends had bimmers and all of them were 6cyl.

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 10:51 PM
Well my next car is either going to be a 1992-93 E36 318 or 325. After driving the stock 325 I have to say that my 318 was way quicker! My 318 was modified but I mean I just expected more from the 325.

Bryan

KIRASIR
05-23-2002, 11:00 PM
Get a ti, you won't be disappointed. :huh?: Cheap to buy, and way more fun to drive than 318/325 e36.

:D

SL

Well my next car is either going to be a 1992-93 E36 318 or 325. After driving the stock 325 I have to say that my 318 was way quicker! My 318 was modified but I mean I just expected more from the 325.

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-23-2002, 11:06 PM
Originally posted by KIRASIR
Get a ti, you won't be disappointed. :huh?: Cheap to buy, and way more fun to drive than 318/325 e36.

:D

SL

I know that thing is pretty zippy off the line. But I like neutral handling cars. I think with not much of a trunk the balance ratio F:R must be a little funny. How is the handling? Can't say I know anyone with one or have ever driven one hard.

Thanks,

Bryan

GR8 Ride
05-24-2002, 01:05 AM
M1 was available for publicm I think just about 400 were made.
and all CSI cars considered as M cars. The VIN starts with WBS

The M1 was built as a homologation special, just like the M3 GTR (4.0L V-8) was built to suit ALMS rules.

The M1 *was* publicly available, but generally only by special order, and most were pre-sold before the car even hit the market (mostly to race teams, and some collectors).

The M535i was the first, mass available ///M car.

Pat

GR8 Ride
05-24-2002, 01:10 AM
ok..regarding the "///M" cars,are they handbuilt,or are only some parts of the car put together by hand?? My old manager at T&C bmw said he actually was at the Garching plant when they were assembling the E30 M3. He said that the whole car is put together by hand...is this true?

Some were handbuilt; most were merely hand-finished.

The E34 M5 and M540i were hand finished; the E30 M3 was primarily hand built, though I doubt it was done completely from the ground up. (it's one of the few ///M cars which radically was different than the rest of the design line, unlike the E36 M3).

The M1 was handbuilt, the M535 was hand finished, and most of the rest were hand finished cars.

Only two were ever really built as factory race cars; the M1 and E30 M3. Most of the rest were mass produced.

Pat

jiggaben
05-24-2002, 01:12 AM
ive got an 86 325es, and i have the m3 badge? on my front grill. my friends always try to clown on me for having it. my steering wheel and shift knobs are that way as well. i assume that its stock, it had it when i bought it just a few months ago. i tell them that it was part of the m-kit, hence my front lip. ...man i need a paintjob and ding-cleanup. or just an m3...next year, i hope

GR8 Ride
05-24-2002, 01:14 AM

The US specification E36 M3 engines are simply upgraded 325 engines w/ a different intake manifold and a larger bore, everyone knows that. So in actuallity they aren't the "real" M3's where as most other "///M" cars still have the same or similar Euro spec design engines.

Bryan

They are actually a slightly larger block, so it's not *entirely* true that it's merely an upgraded 2.5/2.8L motor.

They are different blocks however, as the Euro motors have piston squirters in them, which the US spec motors didn't.

That's the primary difference in the blocks, but the major difference was in the intake, multiple throttle bodies, and airbox.

The US spec motor was dumbed down primarily for financial reasons, as BMW felt it was too expensive to ship Euro M3 motors to the US and keep the price target they had for the car.

Pat

motoyen
05-24-2002, 04:02 AM
To me the most famous BMW 4 cylinder has got to be the 1983 Nelson Piquet Brabham F1 car. This was a 1.5 liter turbo that was producing over 1000BHP:eek: :eek: :eek:

I once read that the original E30 M3 was supposed to have a turbo in it and was producing close to 300bhp in street form. However BMW AG killed the turbo because they thought it would too costly to produce.

KIRASIR
05-24-2002, 11:00 AM
You would be suprised with the handling capabilities of a ti. :) The weight distribution is very close to 50/50. If you want I could take you for a spin some time next week after I replace the damn ball joints.

http://www.myplanet.net/lcjhnsn/Lances_318ti_page.htm

is a good page about ti's. :)

Serge

I know that thing is pretty zippy off the line. But I like neutral handling cars. I think with not much of a trunk the balance ratio F:R must be a little funny. How is the handling? Can't say I know anyone with one or have ever driven one hard.

Thanks,

Bryan

simsimma2000
05-31-2002, 12:59 PM
I agree with MP525, if you don't have the power to back it up.. then sometimes you might feel a little embarassed. but i say if it makes you happy than why not..