PDA

View Full Version : Which BMW's have Perfect 50:50 balance.


Gamite
05-22-2002, 06:48 PM
From what I've read and heard, the E36 318, E34 535 and the E39 M5 have perfect 50/50 balance, what other cars have it?

BigD
05-22-2002, 08:20 PM
I've heard the enitre E36 line is 50/50, esp 325. I've never heard of the 5ers being 50/50.

You know, I kinda wonder how the hell it's possible to have 50/50 with a fron't engine. What do you have in the back that offsets the engine and the driver? THE SPARE TIRE??? I understand how something like a Boxter or MR2 can be 50/50. Even the S2000 because the car is very short and the engine is set in very deep over the front wheels.

PS: sorry about being late with the CD bro, my writer fried and I'm waiting on Yamaha to fix it. Should be ready for pickup late this week.

BigD

Gamite
05-22-2002, 08:47 PM
Don't worry bout the CD, no rush.

I forgot where I read that the 535 was perfect balance, it was in some old review of the car when it was still a new car.

I'll try to find it.


and about E36's, if the 318 was perfect balance then the other cars would have more weight in the front end since the 1.8L is a light engine wouldnt it?

M3driver
05-22-2002, 09:16 PM
I have heard that almost all BMWs are near 50/50 distribution. That is why they handle so well.

Jon@Bimmersport
05-22-2002, 10:24 PM
the new 5ers got 50/50....not sure bout the e34....btw gamite nice lookin car u got...is it like driving a boat? they look pretty dam big!

Gamite
05-22-2002, 10:26 PM
Originally posted by M3driver
I have heard that almost all BMWs are near 50/50 distribution. That is why they handle so well.

Yeah, but some are Perfect 50:50, just wondering which are.



E46_lover, thanks, when its actually not that bad, great highway car, when you put the aftermarket suspension, the car feels less like a boat. The inside size is just like an E36, but you get more leg room in the back.

Autotechnica
05-22-2002, 10:31 PM
Originally posted by BigD
I've heard the enitre E36 line is 50/50, esp 325. I've never heard of the 5ers being 50/50.

You know, I kinda wonder how the hell it's possible to have 50/50 with a fron't engine. What do you have in the back that offsets the engine and the driver? THE SPARE TIRE??? I understand how something like a Boxter or MR2 can be 50/50. Even the S2000 because the car is very short and the engine is set in very deep over the front wheels.

PS: sorry about being late with the CD bro, my writer fried and I'm waiting on Yamaha to fix it. Should be ready for pickup late this week.

BigD

Your actually wrong. Out of all the E36's and E30's, both the M3 E30 and 318 E36 have near perfect 50/50 weight distribution ratio which makes them perfectly neutral. The 325, 328 and M3 are actually around 60F/40R (approximately).

Other cars with perfect ratio E34 535, E39 M5. Possibly others as well.

Bryan

Jon@Bimmersport
05-22-2002, 10:31 PM
perfect...cuz my dad was lookin at 1....green wit tan leather....except i aint too much on it for looks...the new 5ers look sexy! esp wit angel eyes...:D....btw wats the gas like on urs?

Gamite
05-22-2002, 10:37 PM
Gas is sometimes a problem, 80L tank, 3.5 L tank = eats gas quite fast. But not THAT bad.

GR8 Ride
05-22-2002, 10:42 PM
Originally posted by MTRD


Your actually wrong. Out of all the E36's and E30's, both the M3 E30 and 318 E36 have near perfect 50/50 weight distribution ratio which makes them perfectly neutral. The 325, 328 and M3 are actually around 60F/40R (approximately).

Other cars with perfect ratio E34 535, E39 M5. Possibly others as well.

Bryan

Actually, it's a lot closer to 50:50 for the E36 than 60/40....

They *might* be as much out as 52/48, but I'd be surprised at anything more than that.

A couple things to consider in weight balance. First of all, the engine in the E36 is BEHIND the front axle, so not all of the engine's weight will be supported solely by the front suspension.

Secondly, the driver, fuel tank, seats etc are all placed in the greenhouse so as to help balance the weight out. The E36 fuel tank is under the rear seat (not behind the rear axle), so this also diminishes the effect of the motor upfront.

Another factor is engine weight itself. It depends on which 6-cyl the 325 has; the late model E30 2.5L was roughly 100 lbs lighter than the VANOS version (94 and up) 2.5L 6-cyl.

Also, the frame itself isn't a perfect 50:50 weight balance; more frame weight and powertrain may actually be supported by the rear suspension (rear diff, driveshaft, tranny etc....) than by the front.

Pat

Gamite
05-22-2002, 10:45 PM
Hrm, good points, correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt 50/50 using the driver as the mid point?

Autotechnica
05-22-2002, 10:53 PM
Hey Pat,

If the E36 325 engine can do enough to the suspension to lower the car more than an extra inch using 318 springs I'm sure it can throw off the balance more than 52/48. The 318 (M42) engine is also located right in the mid section of rear of the engine bay, the 325, 328 or M3 engines take up the entire length of the engine bay. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I recall the M42 E35 318 has perfect ratios.

Bryan

Mr seville
05-22-2002, 11:10 PM
Originally posted by Gamite


Yeah, but some are Perfect 50:50, just wondering which are.



E46_lover, thanks, when its actually not that bad, great highway car, when you put the aftermarket suspension, the car feels less like a boat. The inside size is just like an E36, but you get more leg room in the back.

well i know that the x5 is 52/48. they do tests at the driving school for the x5 that makes you balance this thing on a see-saw kind of thing

BigD
05-22-2002, 11:48 PM
Oh ok, if the driver is the pivot, then I could see some cars being 50/50 without a mid engine layout.

BigD

thinair
05-23-2002, 11:20 PM
Originally posted by MTRD


Your actually wrong. Out of all the E36's and E30's, both the M3 E30 and 318 E36 have near perfect 50/50 weight distribution ratio which makes them perfectly neutral. The 325, 328 and M3 are actually around 60F/40R (approximately).

Other cars with perfect ratio E34 535, E39 M5. Possibly others as well.

Bryan

According to the 3-series enthusiasts guide, the 328's are 50/50
the 325's are 51/49 and the 318's are 49/51 (all e36s, i have more numbers, but these are what I remember, i have the book and can check more weight ratios later)

SickFinga
05-24-2002, 01:07 AM
Originally posted by thinair


According to the 3-series enthusiasts guide, the 328's are 50/50
the 325's are 51/49 and the 318's are 49/51 (all e36s, i have more numbers, but these are what I remember, i have the book and can check more weight ratios later)

Can you check E36 M3/4
thanks

thinair
05-26-2002, 07:18 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga


Can you check E36 M3/4
thanks

50/50, of course

Gamite
05-27-2002, 04:49 AM
Originally posted by thinair


50/50, of course

Can you check the 5er's for me?

thinair
05-27-2002, 12:59 PM
I only have the specs for 3 series cars, sorry Gamite...

M-ATTACK
05-27-2002, 01:16 PM
BMW state that the m coupe is near 50/50

SickFinga
05-27-2002, 03:27 PM
Originally posted by thinair
I only have the specs for 3 series cars, sorry Gamite...

why don't you just post all 3series that you got?

thinair
05-27-2002, 09:01 PM
....i could, there are quite a few, maybe once I get home.....

SickFinga
05-30-2002, 12:14 AM
E46 328i is 50:50

Autotechnica
05-30-2002, 10:21 AM
I picked up one of my old issues of Performance BMW. It says that the E36 318i Sedan has 50:50 balance.. I remember I saw it somewhere! Anyways, I've seen this in a couple of magazines, possibly car and driver as well.

Bryan

thinair
05-30-2002, 01:09 PM
Ok, this is straight out of the Bentley's 'BMW 3-series Enthusiast's Companion'
Also, all numbers are %front/%rear, and the US models (CDN is the same basically)

1977-1983 320i (E21) - 51/49
1984-1985 318i, 325e (E30) - 53/47
1986-1987 325, 325es, 325e (E30) - 53/47
1987-1991 325is, 325i (E30) - 53/47
1987-1993 325i conv. (E30) - 53/47
1988 325 (E30) - 53/47
1988-1991 325ix (E30) - 55.2/44.8
1988-1991 M3 (E30) - 53/47
1991 318is, 318i (E30) - 54/46
1991-1992 318i conv. (E30) - 54/46
1992-1995 325is, 325i (E36) - 51/49
1994-1995 325i conv. (E36) - 51/49
1992-1997 318is (E36) - 49/51
1992-1998 318i (E36) - 49/51
1994-1997 318i conv (E36) - 48/52
1995-1999 M3 (E36) - 50/50
1997-1998 M3/4 (E36) - 50/50
1998-1999 M3 conv. (E36) - 50/50
1995-1999 318ti (E36) - 51/49
1996-1998 328i (E36) - 50/50
1996-1999 328is, 328i conv. (E36) - 50/50
1998 328i (E36) - 51/49
1998 328isA (E36) - 51/49
1998-1999 323is, 323i conv. (E36) - 51/49
and the book kinda avoids giving me me info on the E46's

Now you know......