PDA

View Full Version : What do I need to Lower my E30?

camc3
03-18-2004, 01:47 AM
I have been debating on lowering my E30 (1986) now for a few months. But FINALLY, I have decided to go through with it. I have heard many different ways on on what I SHOULD buy but I am still not sure what shoudl be bought. I am looking to lower the front 2'' and the Rear 3''. After some precise tape measure work :D I found that the rear was 1'' higher. I figured 3 in the back and 2 in the front would be a nice balance and make the car look even. SO my question would be, What can I buy that will lower my car as stated above at the bare minium cost? I'm not looking to do track runs or anything. Just normal driving and mabey a few drags *angel* If anyone can help me I would give many thanks. *wave*

PS: I have a set of 17'' wheels shipping to my door. I havent bought the tires yet, so I figure I should be able to fit them under the car with some low pro tires *th-up* Many Thanks!

camc3

BimmerKris
03-18-2004, 03:49 AM
Cut off 2 coils on the springs. will give you about 2.5 drop. if you go any lower you detsroy the oil pan. It is only cast aluminum, that doesn't dent or bend, it breaks. I have a hard enough time becuase the flow master bottoms out all the time.

Or you could get the H&R's, they'll give you about 1.75 at the most

felixthecat
03-18-2004, 04:03 AM
dont cut them.......heat up the coils with a torch..they'll sag.....pour water on them when you get to the height you want them..

e30cabrio
03-18-2004, 04:41 AM
Or..you guys could get a real suspension........modifying any springs in anyway at home is no good!

I'm getting H&R Cup Kit suspension, it is supposed to lower my car 2" in the front and 1.7" in the rear. Only $600 for this one!

You can get Ground Control Coilovers, I'm not sure on the drop on those, but I know it'll drop UP TO 2.3" in the front. Look to spend $1300 on a complete suspension for this one.

If you get Ireland Engineering's Stage 3 Race Springs made by Eibach, and combine them with a good set of shocks, it will lower the car 2.1" in the front and 1.6" in the rear! Look to spend about $750 on this setup

EDIT:: I guess if you want to go the cheap way, what you could do, is remove the spring hats...that'll take off an inch or so all around.

Jase
03-18-2004, 05:59 AM
You can find springs of like 300 .i did ,I have fk 75/50 mm drop springs. A bit more aggressive than your lookin at
Jase

Mystikal
03-18-2004, 02:14 PM
The H&R Cup Kit would fit your needs. Good price for what you get.

camc3
03-18-2004, 07:01 PM
Thanks guys. Could anyone post some links on where I may be able to pick some of the 'kits' up at? the H&R kit sounds good. I am not sure where to find a reliable dealer at. Any help would be good!

camc3

bmwm5lover
03-18-2004, 07:39 PM
i would be interested to know too

BMWE30
03-18-2004, 10:49 PM
How do you remove these "spring hats" ...i'm a bit strapped for cash right now and until i can get springs and shocks/struts..i need to lower my car about an inch. Also...will this hurt the car/suspension in any way? Thanks. Im currently looking for 16" -17" wheels also.

Rally318ti
03-19-2004, 12:30 AM
howabout a 60mm (F) 60mm (R) drop? would look gr8 & you wouldn't lose much comfort..........I have a 50/30 on mine & these springs are the Sh#t!!!!! Awesome springs!!!!

Wortha look...

http://www.bg-suspension.com/

camc3
03-19-2004, 12:59 AM
So another Question, Do I need just springs or coilovers? Or both. Im little confused on the issue. New to the E30 scene. Thanks

camc3

Rally318ti
03-19-2004, 02:54 AM
Springs & Shocks.............Coilovers are adjustable ride height springs...........but you need an alignment everytime you adjust em, I suppose its a gr8 idea if you drive the car in winter..(what I should have done actually)

bmwm5lover
03-19-2004, 02:59 AM
that site does nto list prices...

craz azn
03-26-2004, 12:50 AM
BimmerKris said that u could cut the coils off the spring. But if i may ask, what happens to the rear springs when u cut the spring there? since it smallens up at the top and the bottom so how would it stay? I interested too on lowering mye30 but it looks like u cant cut them. or does it work?

RG

johnoz
03-26-2004, 12:53 AM
Hi,

I am also condireing H&R Cup kit for my 89is(stock suspension). Where are you getting them? Also how good are the shocks on these, I decided to have a little comfy ride(getting older I guess).
Are they any good? Almost $900 cnd taxes in, I think it is an OK set-up.

I am hoping to get them from here
http://www.rpiequipped.com/

Will I be hit by PST and brokarage fees on this. Anybody know?

Originally posted by e30cabrio
Or..you guys could get a real suspension........modifying any springs in anyway at home is no good!

I'm getting H&R Cup Kit suspension, it is supposed to lower my car 2" in the front and 1.7" in the rear. Only $600 for this one!

gsbadbmr
03-26-2004, 01:25 AM
Cutting springs is G.H.E.T.T.O...................period.

-gsbadbmr

aaron_silva
03-26-2004, 03:35 AM
Originally posted by Rally318ti
Springs & Shocks.............Coilovers are adjustable ride height springs...........but you need an alignment everytime you adjust em, I suppose its a gr8 idea if you drive the car in winter..(what I should have done actually)

You DONT need an alignment every time you adjust. Anyways, on e30's the only thing you can adjust is front toe.

You cannot cut the springs in rear. It will NOT work.

Heating the springs reduces the integrity of the spring and would most likely result in a shitty ride.

Removing the spring pads will NOT lower the car 1". They are only a few mm thick. Also, some people are against removing the pads due to metal on metal contact (could be noisy or cause rust). I personally dont think they are that big of a deal.

H&R cup kit can be found at www.turnermotorsports.com.

For $60-80 USD you can purchase a set of e30 M3 springs. These will lower the car 3/4"-1" max. You can use your stock shocks with these (they will not blow). That is unless your shocks arent in very good condition.

HTH.

Aaron

Mystikal
03-26-2004, 01:13 PM
Originally posted by aaron_silva
For $60-80 USD you can purchase a set of e30 M3 springs. These will lower the car 3/4"-1" max. You can use your stock shocks with these (they will not blow). That is unless your shocks arent in very good condition.

How old were T.J.'s? He blew them almost immediately IIRC.

aaron_silva
03-26-2004, 02:19 PM
I dont know how old TJ's were. I have heard that the part numbers for M3 shocks and non-M e30 shocks are the same. Stock shocks should be able to handle the slight drop.

Aaron

qimis
03-26-2004, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by craz azn
BimmerKris said that u could cut the coils off the spring. But if i may ask, what happens to the rear springs when u cut the spring there? since it smallens up at the top and the bottom so how would it stay? I interested too on lowering mye30 but it looks like u cant cut them. or does it work?

RG

you'll need to heat up the bottom part with torch and shape it again. that way it'll fit at the bottom. *th-up*

FRANKYBIMMER
03-26-2004, 04:03 PM
i would not recommend heating or cutting the springs
i personally installed eibach pro series lowering springs they affordable and perform great

bmwm5lover
03-26-2004, 04:04 PM
frankybimmer, where did u purchase the spirngs, how much, and do u have stock shocks, or other?

qimis
03-26-2004, 10:13 PM
andreNY has a lowering kit for sale and cheap ! check out the for sale section

qimis
03-27-2004, 11:39 AM
Originally posted by aaron_silva

Also, some people are against removing the pads due to metal on metal contact (could be noisy or cause rust). I personally dont think they are that big of a deal.

cut up 4-5 inch of rubber hose (the one that you use to water your garden) slide it in at the end of the springs. no more noise :) neither rust :)