PDA

View Full Version : E30 325i or 325is questions

burtonownz
03-17-2004, 10:01 PM
I've been looking for a 325 i or is for quite a while now. Although it's ultimately my decision, I've sought some opinions on whether this is a good idea. I talked to my father who introduced me to one of his friends whom I talked to today. The guy knows a lot about cars because that's all he's done for the past 35 years or so...

Anyways, he basically tried to talk me out of getting a BMW period and told me to just get a car to get me from point A to B. His rationale was that when the car needs to be repaired, I will not only have trouble finding parts and/or someone to supply them/install them but since I'm driving a BMW, prices will also be higher.

I understand that there could be a difference in price and a difference in availbility but have any of you found this? Another thing, does your BMW require much maintenance anymore than another car?

Thanks for any input. Talk me in or out of buying a BMW, heh.

T.Dot_E30
03-17-2004, 11:18 PM
Well my honest opinion would be based on weather u can do some of the work on ur own. Dont be fooled the prices on E30 parts are not any higher than most imports.

If you aren't mechanically inclined its hard, unless ur willing to spend money paying to fix it and have a mechanic u can trust and not rape you with labour charges bcus its a bmw.

if you take care of an E30 you shouldn't have much problems with it. I have to change a ball joint and both tie rods. The press in ball joint was $30, tie rods were $36 each, these are not dealer parts, but for the price difference i dont mind changing them twice, a control arm was $475, which bmw would wanna change if i took it to them since they dont use press in ball joints, plus bmw labour of course.

But i guess im lucky cus i have family members who are mechanics and help me out, if i had to pay for labour charges i dont think i'd be happy with a bimmer, considering im only a student and dont have much to spend on repair bills

burtonownz
03-18-2004, 03:28 AM
I do intend to do as much of the repairs as possible. I'm mechanically inclined but just missing experience pertaining to vehicles. So, that really isn't an issue.

King Luis
03-18-2004, 03:34 AM
most mechanics i have talked too, as well as older people try to bring people away from german cars mostly. they usually say get a cheap car that goes from point a to b.
BUT...german cars are more reliable which means you won't be making nessecary repairs often. plus, if you really want a e30 get one, it's your choice, and as long as you know how to treat a car right, and fix a problem before it gets worse, you should be fine

BimmerKris
03-18-2004, 03:38 AM
E30's are very easy to work on. By yourself or a "professional". It is really no different then an old american car to work on. Parts are accually pretty easy to come about to

burtonownz
03-18-2004, 03:51 AM
Thanks for the replies so far guys. I really do like input. I'm going to take a look at a 325is tommorow that looks to be in good condition but we'll have to see.

burtonownz
03-18-2004, 03:55 AM
Do you guys tend to think that there's a "reason" that cars that were once sold for tens of thousands of dollars are now selling for under $10,000? I once heard someone tell this to my friend who bought an E30 M3. Personally, I don't believe this is specific to BMW's but instead to all cars that are now sold from the same time period.

Sylak
03-18-2004, 02:18 PM
E30 a not too expensive to repair... Just look on the internet for parts..
BMW dealer are expensive... i was charging me 245$ for a front wheel Bearing.. finaly i buy it form turnermotorsport.com for 69$ USD after shipping canadian taxe etc etc it cost me 155$. still 90$ cheaper than the dealer Here in trois-rivieres... if you know able to do a little shopping for you're part you won't ahve to much trouble.

burtonownz
03-18-2004, 02:41 PM
Good, I'm glad to hear this...