PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone managed to cancel the DRL?

Mystikal
03-17-2004, 04:16 PM
I've always thought about doing this, and I've been researching today. It would appear as if cancelling the DRLs in E30s isn't nearly as simple as the US relay swap you can pull off in E36s. I spoke with Mike at Lakeside Motors about it also, he said Canadian-spec cars had totally different wiring setups including 3 relays, diodes, etc. Not a very simple project.

I'm still going to attempt a few ways to avoid taking apart the wiring system with a voltmeter, but I think it may come down to that. Has anyone accomplished it?

ZiMMie
03-17-2004, 04:19 PM
Wat does DRL stand for?/

R_JAY
03-17-2004, 04:28 PM
Daytime Running Lights

SebSter
03-17-2004, 04:30 PM
blah, is it really worth all that work just so the lights dont come on? just drive around with the lights in the "parking" position..lol

bmwm5lover
03-17-2004, 05:09 PM
i actuslly like the DRL with the fogs on all the time...(although one of my fogs is burned out)

edit: I dont think its worth it....

Mystikal
03-17-2004, 05:17 PM
It is to me, I tend to need the stealth look quite often. ;)

I'll be experimenting as my free time allows.

bmwm5lover
03-17-2004, 05:19 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
It is to me, I tend to need the stealth look quite often. ;)

I'll be experimenting as my free time allows. In that case, you may need to look into a black paint job aswell...:cool:

Lil'Smoothie
03-17-2004, 05:26 PM
none of my e30's has day time running lights....I dont beleive its a hard job todo tho

bmwm5lover
03-17-2004, 05:30 PM
Originally posted by Lil'Smoothie
none of my e30's has day time running lights....I dont beleive its a hard job todo tho
DRL came in 1990 thats why....

NOTORIOUS VR
03-17-2004, 05:56 PM
Aren't there any factory repair manuals available for North American spec models?! They ususally have complete wiring schematics at the back of the book, so it would be a lot easier to disable that way... Besides.. IMO owning a factory service manual is a must if you do a lot of work on your own. *th-up*

T.Dot_E30
03-17-2004, 08:32 PM
mine is an 88 and i dont have the DRL.

My car before had it, my uncle looked it up the wiring on his computer, and told me all i had to do was remove this relay, and he told me where it was.

But i guess it must be harder than that....my gues would be to rewire ur fogs since its only affecting your fogs.

its easy to get power, wire the wires, even use the same switch. So if its really that hard, i think this would be the best way

la klasic
03-17-2004, 09:38 PM
If someone is able to delete the DRL let me know.

What relay would it be. Mine actually runs off the low beams, even my dash is on, it is annoying

Thanks

Spaz
03-18-2004, 01:53 AM
mystical, i'm in the process of trying to do this also, if you have msn add me and we can figure this out together.

bmwmpowerd@hotmail.com

:)

Mystikal
03-18-2004, 01:44 PM
I already have the Bentley manual, but it only includes the U.S. wiring schematics. Mike at Lakeside said he has access to the Canadian one, and that's where he got the general idea that it was more difficult than what I was hoping. He also gave me the general idea that it would be too much work for him to research the project, and I can understand that.

Trevor, my fogs are already completely independent of anything on the car, they even run with the ignition off. Relays are fun. :D

Spaz, when my main desktop with MSN decides to work I'll add you. *th-up*