PDA

View Full Version : Pads and Rotors. Questions.

BMW_M52_M20
03-16-2004, 05:42 PM
Okay,

I will be replacing the brakes on my car soon as they are getting low.
The combo I was thinking of was padgid pads and brembo cross drilled rotors. I had this on the e36 (no cross drilled) and it seemed like a good setup.
I assume the sensors are bult into one of the front pads.
Suggestions?
Thanks
Jay

bmwm5lover
03-16-2004, 06:36 PM
w/e u do, dont go OEM, 700 for pads/rotors(all 4), and i think that didnt inlcude labour...

BMW_M52_M20
03-16-2004, 07:15 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
w/e u do, dont go OEM, 700 for pads/rotors(all 4), and i think that didnt inlcude labour...

Atcually I do have that option because I get my parts at trade.
Jay

Jammasterj
03-17-2004, 12:09 AM
Yeah but why would you want to buy OEM anyways.
get a better aftermarket package and up the stopping pwr

BladeRunner
03-17-2004, 12:29 AM
Well said Jammasterj. Hey when was the AlpinWhite Club started? Hey while your looking for extra stopping power gone and drop in some braided steel brake lines.*th-up*

Mystikal
03-17-2004, 12:46 AM
Cross-drilled rotors are pointless. Stay away.

Stock rotors + good aftermarket pads + stainless lines = solid package.

Slowered318
03-17-2004, 01:00 AM
Get ATE rotors.. power disk up front.. they rock.

can't help you on pads though.. they all have there ups and downs

BMW_M52_M20
03-17-2004, 01:03 AM
Good info guys, thanks for the help. I find the stopping power is very good on the 325, never locks up on me unless it is slick out and even then it has to be jammed down pretty hard.

The only thing I hate now is I have cheap pads and rotors on and they squeak, and wear quickly.
Jay

John Hubbert
03-17-2004, 01:08 AM
I run Zimmerman rotor's they have a higher nickle content than the stock pig iron one's , so they dont start to rust minutes after you wash your ride and they take a little more heat ( So Iv'e bin told ) . Can't remember what pads , but Stainless lines are the best upgrade for the money !

BladeRunner
03-17-2004, 01:12 AM
What's the dif between cross-drilled and slotted other than the physical look? Cross-drilled seem to be the defacto standard for rotors so does that mean slotted rotors are no good or too expensive?

MorningCruiser
03-17-2004, 01:26 AM
errrr, cross drilled is the "stylish" way to go.

In reality, it chews pads, and WILL toast the rotors fairly quickly because they are drilled.

burtonownz
03-17-2004, 02:56 AM
I've actually seen debates of whether cross-drilled, slotted, both, or flat rotors are better. The general concensus (and this makes sense) is that both slotted and cross-drilled will eat up pads faster than plain rotors. The debate is at what rate the pads are eaten up. There are proponents of both. If I had the money to change out pads more often and I raced often, then I would get cross-drilled and slotted. But since that's not practical for 99% of us then I'd probably go with OEM or ATE rotors. I've heard great things about ATE.

However, another good suggestion is just to go OEM rotors with upgraded aftermarket pads and switching to stainless-steel braided brake lines.

Whew, hope that helps a little, heh.

Charlie

bmwm5lover
03-17-2004, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
Good info guys, thanks for the help. I find the stopping power is very good on the 325, never locks up on me unless it is slick out and even then it has to be jammed down pretty hard.

The only thing I hate now is I have cheap pads and rotors on and they squeak, and wear quickly.
Jay
Yes the ABS has saved my ass a few too many times LOL:D:D

BMWE30
03-17-2004, 08:13 PM
You will need to replace brake pads more frequently with cross drilled or slotted rotors, but cross-drilled and slotted do stay alot cooler.

audiophile
03-17-2004, 10:48 PM
i just did front discs/calipers/pads on my 87 325is.

i bought brembo regular (not slotted or drilled) for $41 each new, pagid pads, and oem replacement calipers

windsor318is
03-17-2004, 10:52 PM
having cross drilled and slotted front and back i can assure you jay that it does not eat up the pads..

i thnk i payed 179 a set from bav auto, im also running EBC green stuff front and back, awesome pads but they like to be hot, ive had them for 3 years know and im still waiting for them to wear, or make any dust!!!