PDA

View Full Version : 328is M Package Question ?

jdmls
03-13-2004, 04:23 PM
Im still pretty new at this guys so i was hoping u could help me out. What are the uprgraded features that come in the M Package offered on an 1997 328is from the factory ?, and does this car come with a locking differential ? Any information would be greatly appreciated .

Thanks

uk325sport
03-13-2004, 06:54 PM
from what i know there might be quiet a few might be better to go and find the full spec sheet of it

thinair
03-13-2004, 11:42 PM
There was no limited slip differentials on the 97+ 328's, only ASC that sorta tries to act like an LSD.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-14-2004, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by thinair
There was no limited slip differentials on the 97+ 328's, only ASC that sorta tries to act like an LSD.

i learned that what mercedes ESP does..i asked ALL the techs if AMG cars have LSD..they said no it doesnt need it because of ESP...thats so gay

thinair
03-14-2004, 12:54 AM
When ASC is on, if it senses rear wheel spinning a lot more then the other, it applies the brake to the spinning wheel.

beamerboycsl
03-15-2004, 03:08 AM
it also and primarily reduces the engine power and torque.

thinair
03-15-2004, 03:42 AM
Originally posted by beamerboycsl
it also and primarily reduces the engine power and torque.

Only when it sense wheelspin.....

Desisuperman
03-16-2004, 11:49 PM
do u guys race with ASC on/off ?

thinair
03-17-2004, 12:19 AM
Originally posted by Desisuperman
do u guys race with ASC on/off ?

Off!!! I actually removed mine altogether. I never used it, now I don't have to hit that pesky ASC button everytime I turn on my car.

ASC will cut power to the engine if it senses wheelspin right, and it usually overexaggerates the power loss so you end up going a lot slower.

Desisuperman
03-17-2004, 02:42 AM
yeah, i'm still experimenting with my car since only got it a few months ago. trying to perfect my start with least amount of wheelspin

bentlink
03-20-2004, 07:03 PM
Recently I attended BMW's Advanced Driver Training 'Winter School' in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada. Two days with an instructor skidding, braking, slaloming and racing (gently, that is) around several tracks on a large frozen lake.

Sooo much fun and learned a lot! (Highly recommended – the cheapest mod to make your car faster :)

The snow covered ice track is excellent for learning vehicle behaviour, because, as my instructor said, “Driving in the rain equates to having a vehicle that three times as powerful – and ice may be 10 times.” Meaning that you will lose traction, spin, etc so much easier – probably like driving a F1.

Anyway, even on ice, there is more control with AST OFF if you are a 'driver' (or drive competitively and at the edge). It is on by default for the uninspired (e.g. our moms ;) who mostly enjoy the heated seats…

I often drive with it off anyway, but we spent the whole Winter School weekend with off for several reasons.
Problems if you leave it AST on:
-prevents you using oversteer to your advantage
-less total traction -- best traction in real terms is about 15% wheelspin (source: my instructor, reading about rally driving etc.)
-less feel (less control) and inconsistent results (from the automatic mix of reduction in power and ABS braking)
-may actually encourage understeer

However, it is a ‘knife edge’ that requires a feel for oversteer.

If interested, here’s an attached pic of me on day two.
Cheers.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-20-2004, 08:57 PM
isnt the M pkg jus the sport pkg?

u get the sport seats, M steering wheel, sport suspension (basically M3?)