PDA

View Full Version : ecu removal

gromit
03-12-2004, 11:28 PM
have atarted to look at trimming back my loom as a lot of the engine stuff isnt needed witht the different engine going in. things i need to keep are like engine temp oil pressure and all the starter stuff etc.
has anyone every had any expierience of doing such a thing? or know how much i can remove? can the ecu be removed completely or do i need to leave it in the car for ither functions??

help much appreciated!!
*par-t*

thinair
03-13-2004, 03:11 PM
Well, what is running your gauge cluster? Like your tach, speedometer and such?

gromit
03-14-2004, 11:42 PM
Originally posted by gromit
have atarted to look at trimming back my loom as a lot of the engine stuff isnt needed witht the different engine going in. things i need to keep are like engine temp oil pressure and all the starter stuff etc.
has anyone every had any expierience of doing such a thing? or know how much i can remove? can the ecu be removed completely or do i need to leave it in the car for ither functions??

help much appreciated!!
*par-t*

i was never expecting the tach to work was something i was gonna look into at a later date am gonna fit a shift light for now and the speedo works on the diff.

thinair
03-15-2004, 03:41 AM
Originally posted by gromit
i was never expecting the tach to work was something i was gonna look into at a later date am gonna fit a shift light for now and the speedo works on the diff.

The speedo is fed from the diff, but it goes through the ECU to power it doesn't it? Plus the ECUs on BMW's like to know how fast you're going so it can cut the spark to limit high speeds.

In other words the speedo sensor in the diff isn't wired directly to the speedometer.

djcontra
03-16-2004, 05:46 PM
I would just use the ECU designed for the engine you're swapping in. You can always retrofit gauges from the donor car into the BMW cluster, or buy aftermarket gauges and make your own cluster. I did that when I swapped a V8 into a fiero; I used the gauges from the donor car, and mounted them behind my chopped up fiero gauge cluster.

(that's the simplified version however :D, there is a alot of wiring to do still)