PDA

View Full Version : Alternator whine FINALLY solved

SebSter
03-12-2004, 03:52 PM
After endlessly taking the car apart trying to find new grounds or run wires through different places..

Turns out all I needed was some noise supressors. My amp was the source of the problem, so I just got the noise supressors from Future Shop that plug into the RCAs.. put em in this morning, and problem solved. *th-up*

bmwm5lover
03-12-2004, 04:12 PM
how much, i NEED ALL DETAILS!!!!!!!!!!!!Its driving me nuts!

SebSter
03-12-2004, 05:27 PM
lol i was thinking of you when i wrote the post.. i dont think it will work the same for u because i have an amp powering the speakers in from the trunk, your speakers get power from ur head-unit.. so im not really sure if its the same fix for you but you can give it a shot

sok
03-12-2004, 06:41 PM
hey i was wondering if you guys had this same problem, when i wired up my amp the ignition wire gives the amp power all the time even with the car off. i have an 89 325i and i was just wondering what color is your ignition wire and did you have a kill switch for it?

Jase
03-12-2004, 09:30 PM
i said noise suppressor. :)

Lil'Smoothie
03-12-2004, 11:05 PM
pretty sure I did too....

that is usually the fix for alternator wine

Mystikal
03-12-2004, 11:51 PM
Good stuff, we'll have an E30 audio sound-off this year. *angel*

BladeRunner
03-13-2004, 01:26 AM
sound off sound gooooooooood

snd84318i
03-13-2004, 04:30 AM
Originally posted by sok
hey i was wondering if you guys had this same problem, when i wired up my amp the ignition wire gives the amp power all the time even with the car off. i have an 89 325i and i was just wondering what color is your ignition wire and did you have a kill switch for it?

need to run a seperate wire from the battery is best . double check the wire and make sure its not the constent power wire . there should be tw opower wires . i ran a sep wire and do not have that problem . just the winding noise .

I just got the noise supressors from Future Shop that plug into the RCAs.. put em in this morning, and problem solved.
do they sell them at radioshack ? how much?

bmwm5lover
03-13-2004, 03:23 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
lol i was thinking of you when i wrote the post.. i dont think it will work the same for u because i have an amp powering the speakers in from the trunk, your speakers get power from ur head-unit.. so im not really sure if its the same fix for you but you can give it a shot actually as far as i know, the way it works on mine is,
head unit to stock amp, to speakers... someone correct me...

i used the wiring already there, not new wiring...
how much did that noise surpressor....

T.Dot_E30
03-13-2004, 07:33 PM
Hey, honestly lets do this sound off.........i wanna see how my car compares.

My full system probably costed me less than $500.......but lets jus say i got most of it pretty cheap plus 2 free amps from my uncle helps.

Alot of ppl say it sounds way better for how much i paid. My cus paid over 1500 for all his shit, and he admits my system is cleaner but his has more bass. but he was dumb/rich enough to pay full price for all his shit.

Anyways ya, great to hear the noise surpressor worked, my uncle has a few, but he says they never work for him.

anyways going to wash my car its nice out!!!

SebSter
03-13-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
actually as far as i know, the way it works on mine is,
head unit to stock amp, to speakers... someone correct me...

i used the wiring already there, not new wiring...
how much did that noise surpressor....

you didnt bypass the stock amp when u installed your new deck?

either way the noise supressors i got work with the rca inputs.. as far as i know the stock wiring doesnt use rca cables, maybe you could try the noise supressor that runs on the power supply cable... check out canadian tire, they have some... you can try it out and just return it if it doesnt work

SebSter
03-13-2004, 08:56 PM
and, gimme about a month to get all my sound stuff together and ill be in for the sound-off too :)

bmwm5lover
03-14-2004, 12:59 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
you didnt bypass the stock amp when u installed your new deck?

either way the noise supressors i got work with the rca inputs.. as far as i know the stock wiring doesnt use rca cables, maybe you could try the noise supressor that runs on the power supply cable... check out canadian tire, they have some... you can try it out and just return it if it doesnt work
you do realize this sounds like chinese to me, right??? i need some assistance please, and drinks are on me!

SebSter
03-14-2004, 01:14 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
you do realize this sounds like chinese to me, right??? i need some assistance please, and drinks are on me!

lol..to tell you the truth im no expert either... and i feel ok experimenting on my car because if i fcuk something up im the one who suffers.. but i dont wanna be responsible for blowing up ur car lol... if u really want tho we can take a look at it in the spring/summer when its warmer out..

i mean i watched the whole install procedure on my deck and everything, im pretty sure now i would be capable of installing a system from scratch... but again no guarantees

T.Dot_E30
03-14-2004, 02:13 AM
I dont mind doing the wiring and stuff, im good with that.

But you gotta take off all ur panels and stuff, im always afaid of cracking something.

In the summer when it gets warm, we can do a little tinkering with our systems, i dont mind helping anyone out jus gimmi a shout.

bmwm5lover
03-15-2004, 01:22 AM
thanx guys, for sure!

BMW_M52_M20
03-15-2004, 01:48 AM
Weird, in any of my cars including the e30, I have never had a whine on accelaration or at idle.......?????:confused:

bmwm5lover
03-15-2004, 03:05 PM
Originally posted by BMW_M52_M20
Weird, in any of my cars including the e30, I have never had a whine on accelaration or at idle.......?????:confused:
Ok...That was IT! Now I OFFICIALLY hate you for not having the alternator whine in ur e30....:mad:

Mystikal
03-15-2004, 03:17 PM
Don't worry Jay, not all of us get hacked-up stereo installs. :D

Jay - who, with 3 different setups, never once had engine noise in the system.

bmwm5lover
03-15-2004, 03:21 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Don't worry Jay, not all of us get hacked-up stereo installs. :D

Jay - who, with 3 different setups, never once had engine noise in the system.
You are on the hate list too...:mad:

SebSter
03-15-2004, 04:50 PM
well thats just cause you got the proper installation done..they probably rewired all your speakers along with doing the install

i got a future shop installation so u can guess how that went lol, right now i probably know more than they do about installing audio