PDA

View Full Version : Feeler: E30 Carbon Fiber hood

M50E30
03-11-2004, 09:42 PM
There is a 10 hood minamum and they will be around $450 to $495 each. Anyone seirously interested? If you are broke please don't post.

Dave

jeremy
03-11-2004, 10:09 PM
450-495 canadian ?

what make ?

using original mounting points ?

MorningCruiser
03-12-2004, 12:10 AM
Quality? Full underside or flat underside?

straight_6
03-12-2004, 01:39 AM
I will be in for sure!
The only thing i need to know is the type of weave it will be.

M50E30
03-12-2004, 03:13 AM
The hood is fiberglass with a carbon fiber overlay (just like every hood out there), UV coating, and with full fiberglass underside.

I don't know about the stock mounting points since the E30 hood latch is so different than a regular hood (hood pins are reccomended on all CF hoods on the market BTW).

And as for the CF weave...very nice...and you can see some of thier hoods at my shop.

I will not be organizing this since the last one I tried was a flop. If someone wants to do this then contact Mark or Serge @ CF Technologies / XR8ED Lidds (I can get the #).

I also suggest if someone wants to do this that they get 100% of the money up front so no tire kickers screw things up like last time.

MorningCruiser
03-12-2004, 03:29 AM
Errr, fibreglass inside?

I don't mean to be a dink, but the hood that was made for my fiero was $350CDN and was FULL CF, and had a FULL underside too, vacuum bagged and all...

Regardless, show us some pics!

M50E30
03-12-2004, 03:34 AM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
Errr, fibreglass inside?

I don't mean to be a dink, but the hood that was made for my fiero was $350CDN and was FULL CF, and had a FULL underside too, vacuum bagged and all...

Regardless, show us some pics!

A real CF hood will run about $2000-$3000. Don't believe me...look at the prices of a single CF racing seat.

MorningCruiser
03-12-2004, 03:38 AM
I have a pic of a smashed cf decklid (one of mine) somewhere on film, and it's solid CF.

Regardless, post some pics.

It's also a good idea to try selling with hood clips mounted on the hoods as an option.

windsor318is
03-12-2004, 03:54 AM
sorry to be off topic dave, but did you ever find out about the front fenders??

M50E30
03-12-2004, 04:05 AM
Originally posted by windsor318is
sorry to be off topic dave, but did you ever find out about the front fenders??

Try finding a good pair of E30 fenders and I will organize that for shure!!!

MorningCruiser
03-12-2004, 04:51 AM
I can hook you up with a set, I'll see how much it costs to greyhound stuff now.

Jase
03-12-2004, 06:31 AM
what was jeremy running? full cf or laminated cf?

Eurostyle
03-12-2004, 09:27 AM
Thats a good price! I wouldnt even build glass hoods for that much!!!*no-no*

M50E30
03-12-2004, 01:06 PM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
Thats a good price! I wouldnt even build glass hoods for that much!!!*no-no*

Thanx Fil. At least someone knows what they are talking about. :)

Miguel
03-12-2004, 02:10 PM
Ya, I was quoted $1300 for a hood like this for an E34.

There is no way you can get a full CF hood for under $400, or hell under $1000... the materials alone would add up to $500, and that doesnt include the time to make a mold and actually MAKE the hood.

MorningCruiser
03-12-2004, 05:06 PM
:rolleyes:

I made my hood myself, vacuum bagged, and I sold a bunch, they sold for $600 each. They cost me about $350 EACH to make.

This doesn't include CF though, because I already had a whole bloody roll from making other parts for other things by laying them up over forms, including a FRONT hood.

Yes, I could have sold them for more, but I didn't feel it necessary to rip people off for three hours of effort after I had made the mold for myself. I guess I'm not good at charging for my own personal effort for something of my own.

Jase
03-12-2004, 09:43 PM
c/f is about 50 a yard cdn for 2x2 twill 5.7 oz fabric. you could use 19oz on the back for strength which is cheaper. the labour let alone the know how to do it is not a walk in the park. one air bubble and your out the cost of the c/f and the resin. materials would be 300 about so 495 is not bad at all. considering the risk and labour

MorningCruiser
03-12-2004, 11:41 PM
Bubbles = reason why you vacuum bag.

Now, I never said that my decklids or my hood looked pretty in weave arrangement, they didn't need to. They served one purpose: To be lighter than stock. Most of them got painted anyways as far as I know.

I'm not out to make anyone look like they're ripping people off, I'm just stating what it cost me.

I wish I had kept my CF stuff, but the thing is, I sold it all when I sold my Fiero, I got tired of having to deal with all kinds of stuck up pricks in the Fiero world, while most people were great, many were real jerks. I hoped the offroading world would be different, but it was more full of jerks than the racing world. Now I get to see if the BMW world is the same as the other two.

Miguel
03-13-2004, 12:46 AM
Originally posted by MorningCruiser
Now I get to see if the BMW world is the same as the other two.

I find there are a lot of pricks in the BMW world, especially american elitists on a certain board that starts with DT and ends in MPower.net

jeremy
03-13-2004, 12:47 AM
jase:mine was solid carbon fiber....with molded-in thread inserts to use stock mounting points....keep in mind, my hood listed at 1200.00 u.s from bmp...

m50e30: find out if the hood uses original mounting points...

MorningCruiser
03-13-2004, 02:58 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
I find there are a lot of pricks in the BMW world, especially american elitists on a certain board that starts with DT and ends in MPower.net

Been there, done that, got banned, Dado liked me and unbanned me.

Apparently there's something wrong with saying that asian women aren't hot over there, Tom tends to take things personally.

I meant more of a local/forum community.

I'm very tired of the forum politics that I've seen, the Fiero forums were GREAT for not having any, however there were a few too many I'm perfect and can do all and my shit don't stink kinda people in the Calgary community.

So far there are NO politics here, yey!

After deciding to get into the BMW world, I said to myself "You know what, if they're donkeys here, tough it out, or just keep your mouth shut and they won't say anything to you".

NP330
03-23-2004, 02:52 AM
I would like to see some pics of the hood. Otherwise count me in.

SebSter
03-23-2004, 06:52 AM
carbon fiber hoods look bad imo, they r practical though, i think the only reason to get them is for weight reduction and then paint it body color... idont think they improve the look of the car at all just left with the cf design

MorningCruiser
03-23-2004, 07:01 AM
This is why I don't get why weave pattern matters... CF doesn't look good with very many colours IMO.