PDA

View Full Version : What is so good about a 5 series?


Miguel
03-10-2004, 11:56 PM
OK, time to raise a little hell and play devils advocate...:)

Why did you choose a 5 series? what makes it better than a GS430, an E Class, or hell.. an S2000 and a winter beater?
The 5er seems to be the jack of all trades but master of none.

It is not a great winter car, its rear wheel drive.
It is not the fastest car on the road, you'd get stomped by a much cheaper dodge SRT-4
It is not the most luxerious, see M.Benz.
It's too small to be a hauler/touring car, see 7er and S-Class.
Its too big to be a decent auto-x'er, see 3 series.

So what is so good about these things?
*shiner*

Quack
03-11-2004, 12:59 AM
it handles better than most cars in it's class, and how can you compare S2000, S-Class, 7er, SRT-4, those cars aren't even the same class, the 5er is just a overall great car

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 02:36 AM
I wouldn't worry about miguel he's just a shit disturber, he likes to tell people to get white interiors and has problems with walking 30 feet.

windsor318is
03-11-2004, 02:54 AM
eh miguel theres your Q..........

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 03:12 AM
^^^ this guy likes to stick that nose in also, al you wanna go to T.O. next weekend, yes or no, not difficult?

Quack
03-11-2004, 03:14 AM
come on down you guys, lets get a meet going

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 03:15 AM
convince al is all you have to do

Quack
03-11-2004, 04:10 AM
I'll take you guys out for dinner at the finest resturant T.O. has to offer, Burger King

Gamite
03-11-2004, 04:28 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
OK, time to raise a little hell and play devils advocate...:)

Why did you choose a 5 series? what makes it better than a GS430, an E Class, or hell.. an S2000 and a winter beater?
The 5er seems to be the jack of all trades but master of none.

It is not a great winter car, its rear wheel drive.
It is not the fastest car on the road, you'd get stomped by a much cheaper dodge SRT-4
It is not the most luxerious, see M.Benz.
It's too small to be a hauler/touring car, see 7er and S-Class.
Its too big to be a decent auto-x'er, see 3 series.

So what is so good about these things?
*shiner*


I can easily answer that. You buy it for what it is.

It is not a great winter car, its rear wheel drive.
- No, but when that rubber hits dry pavement, u can let her rip. With great handling ability.

It is not the fastest car on the road, you'd get stomped by a much cheaper dodge SRT-4
- No, but its more comfortable, more room, more leg room, and you'll get more looks while crusing in style.

It is not the most luxerious, see M.Benz.
- No, but it will out handle and out accelerate its equivelant benz, and still have luxurious attributes.

It's too small to be a hauler/touring car, see 7er and S-Class.
- No, but try parking one of those big luggers, and city traffic ain't so great, plus u get the same engine as those cars with a lighter car = faster.

Its too big to be a decent auto-x'er, see 3 series.
- No, but its a cruiser. Its not meant to be an auto xer.


Basically, you buy the car because its what you want. If you want something nimble quick and racey, then you bought the wrong car.

A 5 is a great mix is style luxury and performance, all tied into one package. No car is the best at everything, everything will have a downside. A 5 has a good mix. Its an excellent cruiser, but it has handling and power, for when you need it ;)

Quack
03-11-2004, 04:49 AM
good job Julian, I was too lazy to explain that to Miguel

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 05:06 AM
defently good call on that julian

Miguel
03-11-2004, 05:15 AM
Originally posted by BMWF1
I wouldn't worry about miguel he's just a shit disturber, he likes to tell people to get white interiors and has problems with walking 30 feet.

30 feet = 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 Al Block.

Miguel
03-11-2004, 05:21 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
Basically, you buy the car because its what you want. If you want something nimble quick and racey, then you bought the wrong car.

A 5 is a great mix is style luxury and performance, all tied into one package. No car is the best at everything, everything will have a downside. A 5 has a good mix. Its an excellent cruiser, but it has handling and power, for when you need it ;)

So what is the purpose of the 5 series? It is not exceptional at anything. Yes, I know it has a good mix of everything... but so does an Audi A4 or a BMW 330i. What does a 5 series do that either an A4 or 330i can't do?

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 05:25 AM
^^^ the capability of putting in a dinan sc and getting 420hp

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 05:35 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
30 feet = 0.0000000000000000000000000000001 Al Block.


hahahah, thats so true.

Jaghaath
03-11-2004, 08:06 AM
It's a BMW=drivers car. The E39 has been said many times to be the best cars in the world. When the E34 M5 came out it was in the league of its own, same with th E28 M5.
And what't the point comparing 5-series to some crappy neon or S-class, it's like comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted a luxurious car I'd buy a 7, if I wanted a fast and nimble car I'd buy a M3, if I wanted a good winter car I'd buy an iX or X5. What would be the point of other models if the 5 would be the best in all those categories?
Are u stupid or just a troll?:moon:

Miguel
03-11-2004, 08:12 AM
Originally posted by Jaghaath
It's a BMW=drivers car. The E39 has been said many times to be the best cars in the world. When the E34 M5 came out it was in the league of its own, same with th E28 M5.
And what't the point comparing 5-series to some crappy neon or S-class, it's like comparing apples to oranges. If I wanted a luxurious car I'd buy a 7, if I wanted a fast and nimble car I'd buy a M3, if I wanted a good winter car I'd buy an iX or X5. What would be the point of other models if the 5 would be the best in all those categories?
Yes, I am comparing apples to oranges... did you miss the point of the question I asked? why is this car so great when it is not THE BEST at anything?

Originally posted by Jaghaath
Are u stupid or just a troll?:moon:
Relax boy, I own a 5 series... Im just causing trouble. No need to be an internet tough guy.:rolleyes:

familysedan
03-11-2004, 08:34 AM
5 series is not the best of everything, but it has everything.
It got performance, handling, luxury, and also class.
By comparing to the same class, it is just better than others.

Gamite
03-11-2004, 11:48 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
So what is the purpose of the 5 series? It is not exceptional at anything. Yes, I know it has a good mix of everything... but so does an Audi A4 or a BMW 330i. What does a 5 series do that either an A4 or 330i can't do?

5 has more lux options than those two.

e28535isghost
03-11-2004, 02:13 PM
ok so maybe the 5 isnt the best at everything but in this world today if you think your the best there is definately better alot better someone is always gonna have better looks, be faster and handel better no matter what you have if you dont like the 5 dont buy one, but dont make us sound dumb for having them because my friend's 2000 323ci cant even come close to touching my e28 from light to light and on the highway see ya lata, yea he has all that traction control so it keeps him on the road, so yea he can outhandle me the 5 is a great car and in my mind is in its own class and who cares about some audi and a crappy neon that in another 60,000 you will find it in a junkyard somewhere, no comparison!!!

Miguel
03-11-2004, 03:00 PM
lol, looks like 5 series owners are the testy type*shiner*

Here's more fuel to the fire:

Great touring cars but not the greatest gas consumption.
Aftermarket.... WHAT aftermarket?!?


discuss amongst yourselves.

e28535isghost
03-11-2004, 03:08 PM
yea you got us on the fuel consumption i think the only aftermarket part that i havent found yet is a supercharger kit for my e28 and i know you can get alot more for the newer stuff out there but yea its not as easy to find parts as a 3 series but there still out there and we dont need a bunch of aftermarket stuff cuz most 5's are fast as they are!!!

e28535isghost
03-11-2004, 03:10 PM
who said you cant race a 5er??????? that looks like an e28 M5 to me!! kinda looks like hes side by side with that m3 2??

Gamite
03-11-2004, 06:21 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
lol, looks like 5 series owners are the testy type*shiner*


Especially the ones driving Black E34's named Miguel. :P

Jaghaath
03-11-2004, 06:58 PM
Originally posted by Miguel
Yes, I am comparing apples to oranges... did you miss the point of the question I asked? why is this car so great when it is not THE BEST at anything?

It is the best at it's own class. It's not supposed to be the best at everything and there's no other car that is. I just don't get your point?:huh?:

windsor318is
03-11-2004, 10:15 PM
Originally posted by BMWF1
^^^ this guy likes to stick that nose in also, al you wanna go to T.O. next weekend, yes or no, not difficult?

i sure do..... just not with you:P

BMWF1
03-11-2004, 11:30 PM
^^^ then take the golf off, call my cell phone when you break down on the 401 and need a ride the rest of the way *th-up*

thinair
03-12-2004, 01:07 AM
Ok, I've driven my mom's E34 pretty hard for, uh, 'testing' purposes.

For a 190hp 3560lbs car with an auto, it still pulls to 200km/h pretty well, although it takes a minute to get there.

For it's size, I'm also suprised how well it takes the corners, and how predictable it is. I might even auto-x it in July.

And the brakes rule (when the suspension bushings are in good shape)

I tried an e34 540ia a while ago, although I wish it was manual, it still pulled really hard, and nothing rules more then the sound of a german V8.

Miguel
03-12-2004, 04:46 AM
Originally posted by Jaghaath
It is the best at it's own class. It's not supposed to be the best at everything and there's no other car that is. I just don't get your point?:huh?:
My point is, why drive a car that does everything well but nothing great?

Originally posted by Gamite
Especially the ones driving Black E34's named Miguel.
guilty as charged*drink*

Originally posted by e28535isghost
who said you cant race a 5er??????? that looks like an e28 M5 to me!! kinda looks like hes side by side with that m3 2??
I think that E36 M3 is slightly ahead, Its definately ahead in tuneability, parts prices, parts availibility, handling, raw power, and resale value.

OK, here's something to think about... for the price of a new 5 series.. why not buy a Corvette Z06 for the summer and a used Subaru Impreza or Legacy for the winter? Subaru>5er in winter, pricing, gas consumption, & handling... Z06>5er in almost everything except fit/finish & interior.

Jaghaath
03-12-2004, 08:03 AM
Originally posted by Miguel
My point is, why drive a car that does everything well but nothing great?

Because it's a compromise. If I'd buy a fast and nimble car it wouldn't be as spacious and luxurious. And if I'd buy a pure luxury car it would be too big and heavy. And for winter there's no need to have a AWD car, just good set of winter tyres. Isn't it enough that I just like it alot, it has good looks, it's a drivers car but with 4 doors, RWD and is a BMW. I still understand where you're getting with this:confused:

bmwm5lover
03-12-2004, 04:56 PM
I have to agree with what Gamite says, and Jaghaath
said. 5ers are great in their own little way

crazyvadim
03-12-2004, 07:04 PM
When i was shopping for a 5 series i looked into GS400/430,A6,E430.....test drove all of them and nothing compared to a 540i Sport 6 speed.E430 has no manual either does GS and the A6 is AWD or front wheel drive.