PDA

View Full Version : painting the window sills

spankerdan
03-10-2004, 09:57 AM
hey i hav an 88 320i and i was wondering how u painted the window sills?

do u just paint straight over the chrome?

What else do you think i could do to my car?
In the near future i am going to
- Put 16" or 17" mags
- Paint the Mirros Red
- Paint the top part of the bumper red
- and Lower it

Eurostyle
03-10-2004, 05:02 PM
Originally posted by spankerdan
hey i hav an 88 320i and i was wondering how u painted the window sills?

do u just paint straight over the chrome?

- Put 16" or 17" mags
- Paint the Mirros Red
- and Lower it

I just did it on my car, painted over the chrome with textured paint. I had to sand it down first (180 grid paper).

T.Dot_E30
03-10-2004, 05:15 PM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
I just did it on my car, painted over the chrome with textured paint. I had to sand it down first (180 grid paper).

I thought u got ones that were originally black from the 318?

Eurostyle
03-10-2004, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by TrEvOrLiCioS
I thought u got ones that were originally black from the 318?

That was for the front and rear....On the sides i had to paint them, which turned out better then original!

T.Dot_E30
03-10-2004, 05:47 PM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
That was for the front and rear....On the sides i had to paint them, which turned out better then original!

Ohh good stuff, if i can fiqure out how to take em out without breaking them, ill try it when it gets warmer

SebSter
03-10-2004, 06:33 PM
Originally posted by TrEvOrLiCioS
Ohh good stuff, if i can fiqure out how to take em out without breaking them, ill try it when it gets warmer

i gotta do this too, so if ya figure out how to take the side ones off lemme know pls

BladeRunner
03-13-2004, 01:36 AM
BMP sells an aluninium refinisher kit they recommend 200 grit. I would like to know how to remove the one for the windshields.

tuNED318
03-13-2004, 02:01 AM
Originally posted by spankerdan
- Put 16" or 17" mags
- Paint the Mirros Red
- and Lower it

Your car seems to be so clean I'd personnaly leave it that way, except for the drop. But thats me :)

Eurostyle
03-13-2004, 05:10 PM
Originally posted by BladeRunner
BMP sells an aluninium refinisher kit they recommend 200 grit. I would like to know how to remove the one for the windshields.

Removing the one for the windshield in not hard, but putting it back IN is another story!!! I'm glad i didnt paint mine (got the original black ones from 91 318i) becasue i would have scraped most of the paint off when installing it!*no-no*

200 grid would work too, but in my case i had some deep scratched that needed to be taken care off...Also the paint i use covers very well, so i didnt need to do any fine sanding...

BladeRunner
03-13-2004, 10:55 PM
My dashboard is currently out would now be a good time to replace the windshield seals or can this be done with the dash in, seems like would be a tight fit?