PDA

View Full Version : E30 - Head Unit Installation

qimis
03-06-2004, 04:58 AM
Does anyone have the steps / DIY info. on how to install a new deck on E30 ? Thanks

SebSter
03-06-2004, 10:43 AM
http://www3.telus.net/baisley/bmw1.htm

qimis
03-07-2004, 08:34 PM
I brought my new deck to Future Shop and they said they have to rewire all the speakers because the ground cable are connected together :confused: . Does anyone knows where can I get the adapter harness for E30 ? I tried Future Shop's adapter harness, but that was for E36 ( although it says BMW 1990-1998 ). How did you guys get your deck installed in your E30 ?

T.Dot_E30
03-07-2004, 08:42 PM
I got the wiring diagram and found the 12v constant power, ground, acc power wires.

After that i ran a remote wire to my trunk, along with 2 rca's.

umm the inside is running off a 4 channel amp, and my subs are running off the next amp.

This way i jus had to run wires from the amp to the speakers, the back was easy since the amp is in the trunk, the front i jus used the stock wire that the stock amp was using, im planning on running new wires for it int he summer.

nothin is running off my HU i jus used the rca outputs. If you want to use ur HU to power the speakers you gotta run wires from each speaker to the HU.

Hope that helps

qimis
03-07-2004, 09:03 PM
I'm still gonna use my OEM speakers and I have the premium sound. Do I still need to rewire all the speakers to my new HU ?

T.Dot_E30
03-07-2004, 09:55 PM
Yup you still have to rewire all the speakers. The stock amp, is in the trunk, all the speaker wires lead into the trunk.

You would still need to run wires all the way to the trunk to make sure of them, but it doesn't make sence, plus the wires are old and probably not the best anways.

So your best bet is to run wires from the Head Unit to each speaker.

Actually im assuming you are gonna bypass the factory amp(bcus its garbage). Im not sure if it would work with ur new HU, even if it does, the sound might not be good. I donno if anyone has actually done this, maybe they can tell u. But i recommend u bypass it and not use it.

IF you were closer i'd help you out.

beammer12000
03-08-2004, 12:22 AM
that is the only way or eles you blow your speakers or worse the radio

SebSter
03-08-2004, 01:14 AM
stock wiring is shit.. mine is installed with the hu rca outs going to the 4ch amp in the trunk and the stock wires for the speakers connected to that.. and all grounded with the common e30 ground.. i get alternator whine like a bitch.. anyone got some tips on what to change in regards to the ground to get rid of that? i wanna do it myself i dont feel like paying more to get this fixed up

im not too sure on how car audio works, but basically what needs to be grounded is the HU and the amp right? so if i just ran wires from the HU ground-out to a ground and a wire from the Amp ground-out to a ground it should get rid of the whine?

(sry to butt in on ur thread, but this problem is really ticking me off..and actually is an issue on a lot of e30s so it might become a prob for u too)

lvan
03-08-2004, 01:51 AM
I still have original deck in my E30. Whe I put the volume it is pretty loud .I guess wires are ok but i hate since it's tape deck...

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2004, 02:13 AM
Originally posted by SebSter

im not too sure on how car audio works, but basically what needs to be grounded is the HU and the amp right? so if i just ran wires from the HU ground-out to a ground and a wire from the Amp ground-out to a ground it should get rid of the whine?

I used to have that problem, but it went away i can bearly hear it now. The wires that ran from the factory amp, is not using the common ground you hear about.....there is actually a pos(+) and neg(-) that runs sep to each speaker.

I think that if you run ur own wires it should get rid of it, bcus i think the wine is coming from all the other wires that run along with the speaker wires causing interfarence....ie. the brake light, park light, power anttena wire, and various power wires that are taped together and ran to the back of the car.

When i rewire my car in the summer ill let you know for sure thou.
im almost sure the interfarence is not coming from the rca's, cus they are pretty expensive ones....plus i moved them around and i get the same thing. And there is no way its coming from the power wires that power the amp cus the battery is in the back, and no other wires run beside mine.

Originally posted by lvan
I still have original deck in my E30. Whe I put the volume it is pretty loud .I guess wires are ok but i hate since it's tape deck...

The reason you think ur wires are still ok is bcus u have a stock deck.

lvan
03-08-2004, 02:37 AM
oki doki,so if you buy from future shop ,do they install the deck for you?

T.Dot_E30
03-08-2004, 02:41 AM
oki doki,so if you buy from future shop ,do they install the deck for you?

If the deck comes with "free installation" they will say it will cost you extra because they have to rewire it. Assuming they know how to.

If it doesn't come with free installation you jus have to pay more*th-up*

Mystikal
03-08-2004, 04:34 AM
NEVER, EVER let Future Shop touch your car. EVER.

lvan
03-08-2004, 05:21 AM
hahah kool . So get a deck and pay those guys to do so. I was quoted so..... Mystikcal...Wanna sell you Kicker for 60 bucks?

Mystikal
03-08-2004, 03:12 PM
Hell no. It was almost $400 new. :P

SebSter
03-08-2004, 03:46 PM
jay if you still have it in a couple of weeks ill prolly take it off you... does it sound anywhere close to the 12 you had in yesterday?

lvan
03-09-2004, 01:31 AM
retail 400 buck on just one 12' sub???

I am not saying u r asking too much but if come nobosy picked it up if it is a good deal for 100 bucks....

Mystikal
03-09-2004, 03:11 AM
Originally posted by SebSter
jay if you still have it in a couple of weeks ill prolly take it off you... does it sound anywhere close to the 12 you had in yesterday?

It's even louder.

Mystikal
03-09-2004, 03:12 AM
retail 400 buck on just one 12' sub???

That's the price level that subs start to even become worth buying. No cheap stuff comes near my car. :)

lvan
03-09-2004, 03:26 AM
yeah yeah ,that is my point. Since retail is 4 bills ,I guess it should be gone long time ago.. well keep my offer in consideration haha maybe I get a pm froj you later on hehe

Mystikal
03-09-2004, 03:32 AM
I have 4 separate people interested, I'm just gonna give it to the first person to come to my door with cash. *wiggle*

SebSter
03-09-2004, 04:06 AM
you have no idea how much i wanna just show up tomorrow with the money, but my springs r coming in on monday (latest) and i need to have 350 ready to pick those up (at 250 now) , if i had the cash i woulda taken the sub already.. hopefully (for me) ull still have it in a couple of weeks.. tho i know how much ur dying to get rid of it

Mystikal
03-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Not really dying to, I'm just tired of looking at it.

Oh, the installation of my new system is DONE, it took 7 hours to finish today. :eek: Absolutely incredible sound, next meet I'll show ya. *wiggle*

T.Dot_E30
03-09-2004, 05:51 AM
What did you add to your system? I wont mind hearing it one day.

Mystikal
03-09-2004, 05:55 AM
I re-did the entire system from the ground up. I still have one part left (new sub and custom box in the works) so I'll just post pics and details when that's done with. :)

BMW BMXer
03-09-2004, 04:04 PM
Tease.

qimis
03-20-2004, 05:48 PM
has anyone use an adapter harness to connect the aftermarket HU to your E30 ?

i've tried AAMP BHA8590 adapter harness and it didn't work
http://i11.ebayimg.com/03/i/01/70/00/77_1.JPG

i dont know if the BHO9003 will work
http://i22.ebayimg.com/02/i/01/7c/0d/8d_1.JPG