PDA

View Full Version : Help...removing instrument cluster.

Skimeister
03-05-2004, 10:19 PM
Hey guys.... I need to remove my instrument cluster (speedo, tach unit). How hard is it ?? do I need to remove the enire dash ? Can someone please give me some instructions... thanks !

nzer
03-05-2004, 10:32 PM
Remove the steering wheel (its just easier). Remove the trim that goes down to your legs by the pedal and is under the dash. There are two big screws that you can undo with your hand by reaching up inside and underneath the dash and then the front big of trim by the steering column comes off. Its pretty obvious now - unscrew the trim round the instrument cluster - unscrew the instrument cluster and pull it out.

good luck

BladeRunner
03-05-2004, 11:37 PM
to remove the steering wheel you'll need a 23mm socket to remove the bolt located beneath the roundel in the center of your steering wheel. Pull hte intrument cluster out by grapping hte tabs and lowering them just enough to carefully wiggle the cluster out. Not sure how many wires you have behind your cluster but just incase you don't have a photographic memory it would be best to label all the wires connecting to the cluster.

I used a knife to remove many of my clusters because the flat head of most screw drivers are to thick to wedge between points. The cluster can be easily removed with the steering wheel still in, only problem is that some manuevering is neccessary to get to some screws.

It's a 1+hr operation if you don't know what your doing and are careful.

Go here for some instrustions: http://www.strictlyeta.net/technical/dashboard.html

snd84318i
03-06-2004, 12:26 AM
i didnt do that to remove it . all you need to do is unscrew two nuts behind the bottom of the dash unit then that little cover comes off then just unscrew two silver screws on top into the dash near the clear cover then unscrew some black screws behind that plastic cover you took over and fiddle it out good luck

Skimeister
03-06-2004, 03:25 AM
Thanks guys ! I'll try to tackle it this weekend...either way I'm relieved that I don't have to remove the entire dash. Cheers !!

nzer
03-06-2004, 07:58 PM
It only takes 10 - 20 mins tops. Easy job.

NickP
03-06-2004, 08:49 PM
This is my favourite write up on this how to:

http://www.e30m3performance.com/maintenance/SI_Board/SI_Board.htm

jeremy
03-06-2004, 09:02 PM
you don't have to take the wheel or dash off...

-remove kick panel
-reach up behind the kick panel. there are to thumb srews you need to remove that hold in a trim panel
-re-move gauge cluster trim
-un-screw screws holding in the cluster ears.
-un plug cluster.

i have done this toooooo many times...it is a fairly easy task.

BladeRunner
03-09-2004, 06:24 PM
what was your reson for removal?

PS excuse my link NickP's was better:)