PDA

View Full Version : Going over my suspension

Phazer
03-05-2004, 04:27 AM
This weekend I am going to go over all my suspension bits and replacing any worn bits etc. What's the most common things I should look for?
Any writeup's around to do a "suspension inspection"?

crazyvadim
03-05-2004, 05:11 AM
It depends how far you gonna go,go with replacing ball joints and bushings to start with.If you go further you can replace control arms,steering knuckle,strut rod etc. etc.
The typical suspension problems i see at my shop is worn upper and/or lower and rear control arm bushings,worn or bad ball joints,worn strut rod bushing,loose sway bar frame bushing,sagging springs,bad shocks....just to name a few from the top of my head

thinair
03-05-2004, 07:40 AM
For the front, the main problem lies with the lower control arm bushings, then the ball joints, then the tie rods, then the control arm itself (the inner ball joint isn't replacable, so you need a whole control arm). Check the upper strut mount too, but I don't hear of them wearing out too quickly.

For the rear, toe arm bushing and shock mount mainly, and check the diff and subframe mounts/bushings while you're there. The other bushings in the rear go too, but not as common.

If you're going to replace your bushings, and you don't drive in the extreme cold, swap the bushings with urethane bushings, less flex, which is great for more aggressive driving.