PDA

View Full Version : New E30 questions

MaxPowerE30
03-04-2004, 11:30 PM
I just picked up a cherry 90 325i with only 80K on it...it's in great shape outside of two issues I've noticed...first, I think the power steering rack is shot...it groans and squeals when I turn the wheel...is there any way to remove the power steering from the car? I want to replace the rack with an E36 rack but don't want power steering...Second, the clutch is stiff as hell...I know what your probably thinking, but trust me...it's STIFF...no other car I have owned has had a clutch this stiff...I feel like I have to literally stomp on the pedal to shift...any clue on what could be wrong?...could it be due to the car sitting around in a garage so much?...

I also have a general question about the car...it was purchased in Germany and shipped over here by a guy in the Army...the car has NO options on it...the only thing it has is power windows and cruise...it has a sunroof but it's manual...is this pretty normal for a 325, especially a late one?

Thanks for all your help

snd84318i
03-04-2004, 11:34 PM
maybe germans legs are more powerful then yours lol j/k i read somewhere that you can change out the mastercylinder for a more bigger one like 25mm or something . i have a manual roof . for we its cool i like it just not the part of it feeling open in he highway . noise comes in like its open . nice find though good luck with it .

BladeRunner
03-05-2004, 01:13 AM
ah man forget all the electric stuff all it does is cause headache and resultin in (B)ig (M)oney (W)asted if catch my drift. Good find though, I've always wondered about cars shipped from Eur-Asia wondering is there condition any better than the condition the North American ones. I don't know about the wining thing, may need fluid may need oil not sure my dads Ford Ranger whines like hell when turning steering wheel. Thin again many Fords made around 92-96 whined during racking.

addbhp
03-05-2004, 12:03 PM
E30's quite often need their steering rack replaced at one time or another, as with age the seals dry up and cause the fluid to leak. A short term solution to the groaning is to top up the fluid. I use Dexrion (sp) 111 ATF.

As for the clutch, BMW's are definitely stiffer than some cars, esp. Japanese cars.

chromius
03-05-2004, 02:15 PM
No doubt e30 BMW clutches are stiff, the leg will get tired in heavy traffic, but it will shift like no other cuz you have so much more control and feedback.

MaxPowerE30
03-05-2004, 10:08 PM
thanks for the info...I'm gonna take a closer look at the clutch over the weekend and see what I can come up with...maybe that's just part of the BMW experience...we'll see...is it hard to get a manual E36 rack or would I be better off going with a power one?...have never really liked power steering...I grew up around 60's muscle cars without it and prefer it that way...

chromius
03-05-2004, 10:27 PM
one thing with the clutch, if it was changed at some point with a high performance clutch plate, it will be very stiff...so maybe thats it. just a thought.....cuz it shouldn't be really hard to push, but still stiff. if you know someone else with an e30 compare it with theirs.

toffa182
03-06-2004, 10:28 PM
Originally posted by MaxPowerE30
I also have a general question about the car...it was purchased in Germany and shipped over here by a guy in the Army...the car has NO options on it...the only thing it has is power windows and cruise...it has a sunroof but it's manual...is this pretty normal for a 325, especially a late one?

Thanks for all your help

you north-americans are so spoiled! :D if your car doesn't have ac it's like the end of the world. hmmm. one would be lucky to even get power windows here in finland. :) i have yet to see an e30 with cruise control in real life.

no offense whatsoever to you MaxPowerE30 or anyone else for that matter ;)

Mystikal
03-06-2004, 10:57 PM
Originally posted by toffa182
you north-americans are so spoiled! :D if your car doesn't have ac it's like the end of the world. hmmm. one would be lucky to even get power windows here in finland. :) i have yet to see an e30 with cruise control in real life.

no offense whatsoever to you MaxPowerE30 or anyone else for that matter ;)

Yeah, E30's came absolutely LOADED to North America.

E46 M3's to Canada are fat pigs, EVERYTHING is standard, even compared to the US version.

Jon@Bimmersport
03-06-2004, 11:14 PM
yea mystikals right....xenons were an option on E46 M3 in US..or bixenons or something

Mystikal
03-07-2004, 04:32 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
yea mystikals right....xenons were an option on E46 M3 in US..or bixenons or something

It's a lot more than that. It's the moonroof, the leather, etc. Lots of heavy ass shit. I'm not one to be very picky on weight, but for the racers out there it really sucks.

MaxPowerE30
03-07-2004, 06:50 AM
hmmm...guess I have a pretty rare one then...that's cool...to be honest, I'm not a big fan of all that power stuff (even power steering)...had a 92 GTI back in the day and it had power nothing...windows/sunroof/seats...all it basically had was air and cruise...which is basicaly what i have now, except for the windows...I was surprised to see one, especially a late one, with basically no options...doesn't even have the obc...jus a digital clock...which I plan to switch to the analog one...i guess going to germany, getting what you want and shipping it back is the way to go, eh?...which is cool, I have all the paperwork, including the papers where it was purchased in germany (in german), the shipping papers here to the us, the dot paperwork and all the maintaince records...feel like i really lucked out, especially 80K for 3K...

toffa182
03-08-2004, 06:25 AM
how much did it cost to ship the car from germany to na?

jordan325
03-09-2004, 02:14 AM
If your power steering is groaning it's not the rack. Check your fluid, and if that's not the problem it's your PS pump. Very cheap and easy to replace.

Jordan