PDA

View Full Version : AA Intake


chitown
03-05-2004, 12:08 AM
Anyone know if the Active Autowerke CAI is the same design as say Carbonio? In the pic it sort of looks like a short ram. Anyone clarify?

I may be getting a AA Gen 3 exhaust in a couple weeks so I'm wondering if this would complement it better or not, but I want to make sure it goes towards the ground.

///MsAniTy
03-05-2004, 01:33 AM
no the aa intakes just sit in the engine bay they dont dip down

chitown
03-05-2004, 01:37 AM
Figured as much, thanks for the clarification :) Probably gonna go w/ the Carbonio.

///MsAniTy
03-05-2004, 01:39 AM
yea go with carbonio i have one and im satisfied if u ask me

Jon@Bimmersport
03-05-2004, 04:26 AM
AA intake is better. :) especially when you got the aa exhaust..depends, if u got $ to spare..get aa for sure

chitown
03-05-2004, 04:39 AM
Well I think the Carbonio and AA intake are around the same price, but different setups, I have no idea what the differences are between the two other than one sits below and the other on top :o

SickFinga
03-05-2004, 08:14 PM
I got aa intake and i like it

jmalixi
03-05-2004, 08:31 PM
I would stay away from those intakes with long pipes where the filter is positioned down low. I've seen a few posts at e46fanatics about cars ingesting water through the intake causing major damage. Note that your car warranty will not cover that and most likely not the intake manufacturer either.

IMO, stay with the short ram design with heat shield like AA, ECIS, or Conforti. I built a similar one on my own from various parts and the shielded area stays pretty cool.

R_JAY
03-06-2004, 05:29 AM
I have the Carbonio and it doesn't sit that far down that you will take on any water unless you're driving in a foot or two deep. If that's the case then i'm sure you'll have other things to worry about lol.

jmalixi
03-06-2004, 07:07 AM
Originally posted by R_JAY
I have the Carbonio and it doesn't sit that far down that you will take on any water unless you're driving in a foot or two deep. If that's the case then i'm sure you'll have other things to worry about lol.

You're right, in that case there are other things to worry about but I don't know about you, I'd rather have ONE less thing to worry about *th-up*

R_JAY
03-06-2004, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by jmalixi
You're right, in that case there are other things to worry about but I don't know about you, I'd rather have ONE less thing to worry about *th-up* True, true.
Short ones are great as long as you have the heatshield so if you buy the AA it'll be money well spent.

thinair
03-06-2004, 08:43 AM
Originally posted by E46_lover
AA intake is better. :)

Do you have proof?

And I also have the Carbonio intake, I can't say it's worse or better then the AA, but water ingestion isn't really an issue, unless you're in water up to your door mouldings. The filter doesn't go that far down. My old Motronix was way longer, the filter used to rest on the bottom of the lower bumper tray. I actually liked it that long, lots of fresh air going to it, I could actually see the filter from the front of my car through the right intake vent on my bumper.

jmalixi
03-06-2004, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Do you have proof?

And I also have the Carbonio intake, I can't say it's worse or better then the AA, but water ingestion isn't really an issue, unless you're in water up to your door mouldings. The filter doesn't go that far down. My old Motronix was way longer, the filter used to rest on the bottom of the lower bumper tray. I actually liked it that long, lots of fresh air going to it, I could actually see the filter from the front of my car through the right intake vent on my bumper.

Ooops, please excuse my ignorance. I've never seen a Carbonio intake and I just assumed it's as low as the other "long pipe" designed intakes.:)

M50E30
03-06-2004, 01:39 PM
Do the air bypass valves offered by certain manufacturers actually work???

Quote taken from AEM...

Air Bypass valve for Cold Air Induction Systems virtually eliminates the unlikely chance of water ingestion should the filter element become wet from deep puddles, rain, hail, sleet or snow–or any other scenario in which the filter element could encounter or become submerged in water. The valve installs along the upper portion of the inlet pipe on the same axis as the throttle body centerline. Should a drop in pressure occur within the pipe due to filter submersion, the valve shuts down induction at the filter and routes incoming air through its external orifices, eliminating any chance of water ingestion.

http://www.doctorimport.com/images/foam_cam2.jpg

chitown
03-06-2004, 02:10 PM
I'm sort of leaning towards the Carbonio because of the price, if I were to get the AA it'd be about $100 more.

Only thing I'm worried about with the Carbonio is that people talk about switching back to the stock intake during the winter and I really don't want that hassle.

Bill Gates
03-06-2004, 04:56 PM
Originally posted by chitown
Only thing I'm worried about with the Carbonio is that people talk about switching back to the stock intake during the winter and I really don't want that hassle.

just wondering why people would switch back with Carbonio and not with AA. also, why do they switch back, i'm assuming poor performance in cold weather...???

Thanks

thinair
03-06-2004, 05:08 PM
Originally posted by Bill Gates
just wondering why people would switch back with Carbonio and not with AA. also, why do they switch back, i'm assuming poor performance in cold weather...???

Thanks

I think it's more of a worry of the filter getting frozen and clogged with snow and salt issue.

Don't drive my car in the winter, so I can't save I've experienced it.

Bill Gates
03-06-2004, 05:14 PM
Thanks thinair....

btw, anyone know which is quieter, the AA or Carbonio? i'd prefer something with a nice growl, but not too loud..

thx

e24_635csi
03-07-2004, 03:32 AM
Where are you gettin the AA Gen 3 Exhaust from?.. are there any AA dealers in Toronto/Surrounding areas?

chitown
03-07-2004, 05:12 PM
Yes, there are, I'm going to try calling the one in Markham on monday, here's a link: http://www.aatuning.com/dealers.asp