PDA

View Full Version : Radiator Leaking Coolant

Desisuperman
03-04-2004, 09:45 PM
My Radiator is look coolant :( and it's leaking on the bottom corner oposite side of where the coolant sits. When i removed the bottom cover it was dripping beads of coolant :(

Where do i go from here? Do i need a new rad or can tihs problem be fixed?

Any help wil be greatly appreciated, thanks guys

pwrsurge
03-05-2004, 12:38 AM
Just get a new radiator, unless it's leaking from the plastic side tank which can be replaced. A new rad should cost a few hundred bucks plus installation, unless you can do the labour yourself.

Desisuperman
03-05-2004, 01:09 AM
few hundred bucks i wish... i went to this one guy and he quoted me $700 installed. i'm waitiing for a buddy of mine to quote me i'm sure he coudl get it and isntall it for a fraction of the price.

I'm going to call up a scrap yeards over the weekend and see what i can come up with cauze there's no way in hell i'm paying $700 for a radiator installed that's just BS.

Who's the guy here who works for BMW again.. .he's a regular but i can't seem to remeber his user name?

crazyvadim
03-05-2004, 06:27 AM
What bottom cover?? Inlet tank or the outlet tank?? maybe the reservoir is leaking?? or is the radiator itself leaking,if so you you gonna have to remove and replace or remove and rebuild the radiator.

Desisuperman
03-05-2004, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by crazyvadim
What bottom cover?? Inlet tank or the outlet tank?? maybe the reservoir is leaking?? or is the radiator itself leaking,if so you you gonna have to remove and replace or remove and rebuild the radiator.

it's in the bottom corner at the drivers side. i just noticed beads of coolant dripping from there. i gotta check agaian this weekend properly

HooliGaN*
03-05-2004, 04:35 PM
whered u get that diagram?

Julian

Desisuperman
03-05-2004, 04:59 PM
Originally posted by HooliGaN*
whered u get that diagram?

Julian

http://www.logun.org/radflush.htm

crazyvadim
03-05-2004, 10:20 PM
Originally posted by Desisuperman
it's in the bottom corner at the drivers side. i just noticed beads of coolant dripping from there. i gotta check agaian this weekend properly

Check again.
Is it on the side where the radiator cap is??
if so i would guess the outlet tank is leaking from what i understand.

Desisuperman
03-05-2004, 10:22 PM
nah, i'm positive I saw coolant dripping from bottom corner of the drivers side. I just don't know if that's excatly where the leak is or if it's from somewhere else but that's where i saw it dripping from

pwrsurge
03-06-2004, 10:25 AM
If you buy a new radiator from the stealer, you're going to pay top dollar for sure. Buy one from Ebay.. or a good quality aftermarket. I'm sure you can find out for $250 - $300 if you shop around.

Desisuperman
03-06-2004, 09:00 PM
what would be a good aftermarket one? would i really need to go with a BMW rad?

pwrsurge
03-06-2004, 10:25 PM
Well.. first of all, BMW does not make radiators. They get other manufacturers to make them and they put a "bmw" decal and part number on it.. but it's built to BMW specs. There's a good chance when you buy AEM, you get pretty much the same at OEM since you may get the manufacturer.

Check out the following link. An OEM BMW E36 radiator for $150USD.. which is approx $200CDN + shipping. You can't go wrong with that.. figure approx $250 CDN shipped which is not bad at all for a factory part!

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=42611&item=2464376153

Best of luck,
Serge

Desisuperman
03-06-2004, 11:18 PM
thanks man.. i wa slooking at the earlier.. i just wannn exhaust my other optoins before buying one, hopefully i can find a cheap fix for it but i doubt it

pwrsurge
03-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Well.. my opinion is when it comes to cheap fixes, a radiator should never be a part of that. There's that gunk sealant you can buy that sometimes will work but please don't put that in your BMW.. it's just a temp fix and may cause more problems than it fixes.. like cause a blockage in your colling system. I've heard of too many nightmares.. don't be pullin' a "MacGuyver" with your Bimmer! :D

Desisuperman
03-06-2004, 11:28 PM
lol that's the fix i was thinking too.. so your sayin don't do it eh thanks for the head up ;)