PDA

View Full Version : stupid curiosity question.

chromius
03-04-2004, 01:38 PM
alright, you guys are gonna think I'm an idiot, but here goes.....what are elipsoid headlights? I thought I knew what they were but I think I may have been mistaken. I thought that they were the ones that had the smaller projector style lense in the middle, and that the reflective type were the non elipsoid...help me understand wise ones!:D

Bob Loblaw
03-04-2004, 01:42 PM
Yep, you're right. The US ellipsoids (maybe we should call them North American?) are different that the Euro ellipsoids. The Euro are often called smilies and have a small, extra light called the "city light".

Here are US ellipsoids:

Bob Loblaw
03-04-2004, 01:45 PM
Here are the Euro ones:

Bob Loblaw
03-04-2004, 01:46 PM
And here's a pic of the city lights in action (in the Euros).

chromius
03-04-2004, 01:51 PM
awesome! thanks Bob*th-up* I guess I was just getting confused between the NA elipsoids, and the Euro Elipsoids...and ended up thinking that I was completely off as to what they actually were. Thanks again.

Bob Loblaw
03-04-2004, 02:09 PM
No problem. I'd like to eventually get Euro ellipsoids. I think they look great. But just like plastic bumpers (or a full M-tech II kit, for that matter), I can't justify the cost right now.

Some day... :) I'm still (relatively) young and my car's not going away anytime soon.

chromius
03-04-2004, 02:17 PM
I hear ya, I keep finding myself spending too much on my car lately....money that I really shouldn't be spending:( ...but half the fun is doing it piece by piece...if all the mods were done at once, I'd get bored.:D

Bob Loblaw
03-04-2004, 02:23 PM
True dat!

lvan
03-04-2004, 04:11 PM
how much do euro ones go for? maybe it is better to buy it off on some german auction and get them to send it over....

Is it easy to instal ? Like plug and play?

Bob Loblaw
03-04-2004, 04:38 PM
From what I've seen, new Euro ellipsoids go for around $400 US. Factor in exchange rate, taxes and customs fees and it gets very expensive.

They're not plug and play but the modifications seem fairly easy to do (connectors, etc.). Maybe someone with more info on the installation process could add their 2 cents.