PDA

View Full Version : Water leaking in the trunk? or My trunk smells like moldy snatch? (My first write up)

Adriano
03-02-2004, 01:41 PM
Oh are you in for some fun now *sad*
Sorry I didn't take any pictures but I wasn't thinking of doing a write-up at the time until qimis needed it so I am posting this for everyone.

My car is in MINT condition and I had a shitload of rotting in the trunk area. It kept getting wet for some reason and the trunk hood kept getting condensation every day. I thought that it was the trunk lid leaking until I pulled out the carpeting. One day last week, I installed a stereo and decided to rip out the carpet to clean the metal inside the trunk. To my surprise I found about 3 holes I could fit a golf ball thru.

What to do is go to Crappy tire and buy woven fiberglass and liquid resin. If you have never fiber glassed anything then tell me and I can direct you how.

Pull out your carpeting on the trunk floor and walls. While your at it you might want to clean your carpets and spray the inside trunk with Lysol (to get rid of that nasty moldy snatch smell.:D :puke: )

You will find the trunk rotted near the back of your rear wheel wells. The most common side is where the car jack is because it is lower then the passenger side. The problem is that stones from the tires hit the trunk pan and wear away at the undercoating and eventually rot the trunk pan.

You will also have to remove your battery and the plastic battery tray to get underneath it. TRUST ME you’ll want to do this. I found ˝” of old nasty shitty crappy moldy stuff that was kicked up from the tires into the trunk along with another hole.

First take a screw driver and break out all the rotted metal until you reach solid steel. You will find that a .5" hole will end up to be 3" long. Then using 80 grit sandpaper and a file, remove all the shit around the hole so you will be fiber glassing bare steel. Use a wire brush to remove rust from the hard to reach places. Clean all the crap out with a garden hose and let it dry.

Cut your fiberglass matting in sections to overlap the holes at least 3/4". I used about 4 layers of fiberglass to fill the holes. Before I laid the fg over the holes, I spread some resin around the hole, on the thickness of the steel and around the hole even on the outside of the car around the hole. I laid one layer of fg on the hole from the outside of the car wheel well to prevent water from further rotting the hole.

Like magic, you won't have any more water leaks.

Damn all this talk about holes, going to the gf's house to get me some action tonight *love* *mw* *love* *mw*

NickP
03-02-2004, 09:34 PM
Also on e30's tail light gaskets leak like you wouldn't believe - this is what may have caused some of the holes in the first place.

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:06 AM
me and adriano was working on my trunk yesterday. you wouldn't believe there was a lake with all super nasty stuff underneath there. first i cleaned up all the rust w/ wire brush, sand paper, anything that can clean up that nasty thing. then clean the 'lake' after. adriano helped me putting the fibreglass in, although we got high for an hour or so *drink* (freakin resin ... ). it came out really good after that, no more water coming in to the trunk *th-up* (hopefully ... )

and here's a couple pics from yesterday and today :)

:puke: :puke: :puke:

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:08 AM
ready to be patched w/ fibre glass ...

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:09 AM
a bit of resin, hardener, fibre glass ... done !

bmwm5lover
04-19-2004, 03:09 AM
o man i better check mine...

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:10 AM
adriano's car wearing a wedding gown :D

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:11 AM
ready to eat you ! :mad:

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:13 AM
BOOOOO !

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:15 AM
alpine white :)

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:15 AM
rear bumper's in for good

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:16 AM
al's going euro w/ his rear tires *th-up*

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:17 AM
sexy *love*

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:21 AM
today's mods:

- independent fog lights *th-up*.

special thanks to adriano *th-up*

qimis
04-19-2004, 03:25 AM
Originally posted by bmwm5lover
o man i better check mine...

i would recommend all of you that has E30, especially if the car is winter driven, should check this spot. this is a common problem on E30.
take out the trunk cover (mouse hair) on the sides, and see if there's any rusts / not. there's also a plastic cover besides the battery, where the hole in my trunk was, you might wanna take out the plastic ( it has a little clip attached ).

T.Dot_E30
04-19-2004, 03:59 AM
i ripped my trunk apart when i installed my system, i was amazed at how clean it was.....

Im wanna rip apart the inside and check, hopefully inside is jus a clean, while im at it im gonna re-wire my front speakers

LP_E30PWR
04-19-2004, 09:34 PM
wow the red e30 looks great

what bodykit is that?
is possible for 4-doors version too?

thanks

LP_E30PWR
04-19-2004, 09:37 PM
my trunk is also a bit rusty but you can't see it it's behind everything. and i have had some throubles wiht water but that's finished now

qimis
04-19-2004, 11:26 PM
Originally posted by LP_E30PWR
wow the red e30 looks great

what bodykit is that?
is possible for 4-doors version too?

thanks

that's autovogue's AV3 kit
yes it is possible for 4 doors:

http://www.behindmatrix.com/e30/fotost/f00259/02.jpg

you can find more pics in here :)
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=33187&perpage=15&pagenumber=1

Mystikal
04-20-2004, 02:28 AM
Wow, my battery area is mint. I was in there last summer, sparkling clean.

The other side is a small swimming pool though. I'm going to replace the trunk lid and tail light gaskets.

BMWF1
04-20-2004, 02:39 AM
I checked mine, its spotless, nadda, i put a dry cell back there a while ago also, so i don't really got much to worry about.

Adriano
05-25-2004, 01:46 PM
Greg,
This problem only applies to E30s