PDA

View Full Version : How to make my 318IS faster

Wind
03-02-2004, 06:20 AM
I just bought a very clean stock 1995 318 IS today with 84000 kms. I paid 12500 Canadian for it.

I was wondering what things i can do to make this car faster. All opinions would help. I don't wish to remove anything for "weight reduction" though.

Thanks for everyone's help

thinair
03-02-2004, 06:28 AM
It depends on your budget really. There are a few options from getting your basic intake/exhaust/chip, to getting NOČ/forced induction/engine swap.

How much are you looking to spend roughly?

Just wait till Autotechnica to respond, he'll give you some more insight.

Wind
03-02-2004, 06:41 AM
I guess nothing too crazy.....about 2000 canadian.

What brand of intake/chip/exhaust should i get?

I'm not overly familiar with the brands and the things that i should get to maximize my gains of hp and torque. Since my car stock is 138...i'll be happy if i can get it to 175? or something around there with the least amount of money.

thinair
03-02-2004, 06:48 AM
Originally posted by Wind
I guess nothing too crazy.....about 2000 canadian.

What brand of intake/chip/exhaust should i get?

They're all pretty close to each other performance wise.

And intake you can honestly put together yourself for $100. There are a few guys here who have done it, a K&N cone filter, a homemade heatshield, and some fittings and stuff. It doesn't look that bad.

Exhaust depends on how loud you want your car to be I guess.

And for software, I believe MarkD here on max can burn a chip for you. Try PM'ing him.

Getting to 175hp might be a bit of a stretch with two grand without resorting to NOČ.

A lower geared differential (numberically higher) can make your car accelerate faster, but will kill your top speed, and makes your car rev higher at a given speed.

crazyvadim
03-02-2004, 07:02 AM
I hope your car is on stick...
Your best bet is to put on some bolt ons and pick up a downing atlanta supercharger...

Eurostyle
03-02-2004, 07:33 AM
If you do the work yourself you can get an M50 engine swap done for that price...

crazyvadim
03-02-2004, 07:54 AM
Originally posted by Eurostyle
If you do the work yourself you can get an M50 engine swap done for that price...

I would consider that stupid,why not just resell and buy a 325 then...

Eurostyle
03-02-2004, 08:01 AM
Originally posted by crazyvadim
I would consider that stupid,why not just resell and buy a 325 then...

I guess the car is in very good conditon, because for that price (12G's+) you can buy a 325is....

Wind
03-03-2004, 12:39 AM
the car is in very very good condition, very clean and such. It also has low kilometers and there's no accidents and no damage on the exterior. If i was to find a 325is...it would have been in pretty beat shape with high km's and not a 95, probabaly a 92 or 93.

I was looking at a TMS chip that my friend suggested. Is that alright?

What cold air intake should i get if i would like to buy one?

Exhaust wise and catback, i was thinking of supersprint.
It doesnt' matter how loud it is...i would perfer a low deep sound.

Mystikal
03-03-2004, 12:44 AM
Bolt-ons really, really won't do much. Save your pennies for a while, then buy the Downing S/C when you can afford it. Enjoy the rest of the car for now.

Autotechnica
03-03-2004, 12:59 AM
I've done the Dinan chip, bored out throttle body, intake and heat shield and cat back exhaust. It shows some very respectable gains. Although I haven't dyno'd my car yet I have raced stock 318's. My car is significantly faster and has more grunt than even an auto 325. I wouldn't tell anyone with a 318 to completely give up on the motor. I'd be happy to give anyone a ride in my car to show what a few bolt-ons can do. It all depends on what makes you happy.

My advice is find a decently priced cat back exhaust system, make your own intake with a cheap K&N cone filter ($60-$80) then buy the Dinan chip. You won't be disappionted. If you're still not satisfied with the power output, get the supercharger once you save up. I don't think normal unexperienced people know how to swap their own motors and rewire the entire car. Don't forget with 318's you need new springs/shocks, exhaust, tranny, clutch, computer, engine mounts (requires modifications) and god only knows what else. I'd rather drive a slower 318 but have the reliability there. If you really want a 325, trade your car in and buy one, forget about the motor swaps. It's not a good idea unless you have a "ti". Just think of the 318 has a low powered, rev happy fun handling car. :) Enjoy!

Bry

djcontra
03-03-2004, 01:03 AM
If you want really noticable gains, save up for a turbo or install nos, end of story :)

All the other 'bolt-ons' will give you some gains, but dont expect a whole lot from them. It sure is fun though!

Autotechnica
03-03-2004, 01:06 AM
Nah, Just ask Serge, he'll tell you the turbo for the 318 isn't worth it and just too much hassle.

Bry

djcontra
03-03-2004, 01:09 AM
I could say the same for my supercharger, but my opinion changes every time I step on the gas pedal *mw*

Autotechnica
03-03-2004, 01:29 AM
*th-up*