PDA

View Full Version : brake dust!!!

gotkabab
03-02-2004, 05:33 AM
We have all had brake dust on our wheels, especially on our front two wheels. My question is, will it damage your wheels if you let it stay during the crazy winter season? I have chrome rims, and i've noticed some very minor rust. Is there a wheel protector for the snow or rain?

Autotechnica
03-02-2004, 05:44 AM
Originally posted by gotkabab
We have all had brake dust on our wheels, especially on our front two wheels. My question is, will it damage your wheels if you let it stay during the crazy winter season? I have chrome rims, and i've noticed some very minor rust. Is there a wheel protector for the snow or rain?

Rust? Unless you bought some really cheap chrome wheels made of steel then it shouldn't rust. Most alloy wheels are made of magnesium and aluminum alloys which DO NOT rust.

Anyways to answer your question, brake dust will not damage your wheels. However, if you leave the brake dust on the wheels for long period of time without washing it off properly, it will stain the rims. For a highly polished chrome finish brake dust shouldn't stick on the surface at all. Salt will damage alloy wheels and attack the metal and clear coat. I have no idea what affect it has on chrome plated steel wheels which is what you seem to have. :confused: :huh?:

Anyways, for chrome finishes it never hurts to use some kind of mag wheel polisher such as Eagle One. It makes it more difficult for any salt or brake dust to get caked on.

Bry

gotkabab
03-02-2004, 05:56 AM
Thanx Bry...The rust is because of this one small chip, but i don't want it to get worse. My rims are off a 1997 m3 oem chrome rims. I gotta wash them even if they get dirty again. Damn the bay area, it never stops raining, lol.

Gamite
03-02-2004, 05:57 AM
you could sand the affected area down, and then re-clear coat it.

Autotechnica
03-02-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Gamite
you could sand the affected area down, and then re-clear coat it.

I don't think chrome plating has clear coat does it? Plus, if you sand chrome, it turns black.

Autotechnica
03-02-2004, 06:10 AM
Thanx Bry...The rust is because of this one small chip, but i don't want it to get worse. My rims are off a 1997 m3 oem chrome rims. I gotta wash them even if they get dirty again. Damn the bay area, it never stops raining, lol.

Anyways, I still don't understand. If they are OEM wheels from an M3 they should be made of alloy. It shouldn't rust. Are you sure it's rust and not just some nasty colour brake dust?

Bry

thinair
03-02-2004, 07:24 AM
I honestly have no idea how you're wheels have rust. The OEM M3 wheels where polished aluminum, not chrome plated. Are you talking about the Motorsport wheels? Are they OEM? Do you have a picture?

And brake dust will damage your wheels if they're painted. The dust can get permenantly etched in the paint/clearcoat. Just another reason to wax your wheels.

Just a note, salt will permanently pit the aluminum on your wheels if they're not painted, either on brushed or polished aluminum.

Painted wheels
http://members.shaw.ca/pferlow/beetle_wheel2.jpg

gotkabab
03-03-2004, 12:56 AM
There oem. I'm not 100% sure if they came chrome, or the guy got them chrome dipped. I looked at it closely, and I'm not sure if its rust. It's more like a faded brass color. My lug nuts are what got some rust on them, haha. Oh and by the way this is not how they look, their dirty as hell right now.

By the way, my name is Amir. You can still call me gotkabab if you like, haha.

gotkabab
03-03-2004, 12:58 AM
This is my ride. I don't think i ever posted it. Just a nice m3 front bumper and mirrors, and i'm SET!

Autotechnica
03-03-2004, 01:11 AM
Amir,

I talked to you briefly over email not too long ago, don't know if you remember. You sent me pics of your car too. I apologize that I did not return your email afterwards. My hard drive got formated ;)

Anyways, I don't think those rims came in Chrome. They came on M3 USA specs and M3 LTW's, both in silver finishes.

Bry

Gamite
03-03-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I don't think chrome plating has clear coat does it? Plus, if you sand chrome, it turns black.

OOps, maybe I shoudl read the first thread next time.

Jim .E.
03-04-2004, 06:30 PM
if ur so concerned about brake dust why dont u buy kevlar brake pads? they dont give the black brake dust that is left on ur rims (thats what i've heard)

uk325sport
03-04-2004, 08:27 PM
in the uk due to amount of crap weather we have alot of people use vasaline or just oil based products that dont damage , the wheel dont look that good but wash it of now and again and re aplie and its all good for the summer

djcontra
03-04-2004, 11:05 PM
get some chrome polish (it's similar to a rubbing compound solution) and buff up your wheels by hand. I assure you that it will take off any of that brake dust (which makes the chrome appear cloudy), and might remove that brassy tarnished spot. The chrome could be wearing thin in that part where you see the discolouration though, and might just need to be re-dipped

gotkabab
03-05-2004, 07:07 AM
thanx all...i'm gonna take djcontras idea and polish my wheels. I washed the car finally...hey Bry i think my wheels do come in chrome too. I have'nt seen it before, but i'm pretty sure they made it. I know the M contour rims came in chrome too...Anyways even if the guy did chrome dip them, it looks sick!

Mystikal
03-05-2004, 02:45 PM
thanx all...i'm gonna take djcontras idea and polish my wheels. I washed the car finally...hey Bry i think my wheels do come in chrome too. I have'nt seen it before, but i'm pretty sure they made it. I know the M contour rims came in chrome too...Anyways even if the guy did chrome dip them, it looks sick!

No M wheel has ever come from the factory chromed. It would be blasphemy.