PDA

View Full Version : Z4 shiffter ???

Dan Bro
03-02-2004, 02:28 AM
Would a Z4 shifter rod fit into the e36 ????
I was wondering about that, I took a z4 for a spin, and I liked how it was shorter then the normal e36 I ever drove... I think it would be a nice mode, plus it would be original from BMW so it might last longer then other aftermarket short shifters

What do you guys think ???

and if somebody did that allready, I guess I'll be the goof

Autotechnica
03-02-2004, 04:51 AM
Originally posted by Dan Bro
I was wondering about that, I took a z4 for a spin, and I liked how it was shorter then the normal e36 I ever drove... I think it would be a nice mode, plus it would be original from BMW so it might last longer then other aftermarket short shifters

What do you guys think ???

and if somebody did that allready, I guess I'll be the goof

Buy the MZ3 shift lever.. it shortens the shift throw by more than 60% on E36's.

Remember, just because it's shorter on the Z4, doesn't mean if you swap it into the E36 it will be just as short. It all depends on how the shifter is designed. The MZ3 shifter is even shorter installed in the E36 than it is stock on a MZ3.

Bry

thinair
03-02-2004, 06:14 AM
Originally posted by Dan Bro

...plus it would be original from BMW

Yes it will fit, most the BMW's shifters follow the same build design, but with different geometry.

And it more then likely won't last longer then any aftermarket short shifter. Many companies use stock 328/M3 shifters for 318/325's, and bent ZM3 shifters for the 328/M3 as a short shifter. The ones who don't generally build their short shifters will harder bushings (delrin or ball bearing bushings, and steel pivots).

Originally posted by Autotechnica
Buy the MZ3 shift lever.. it shortens the shift throw by more than 60% on E36's.

This is sorta true, it shortens it by 60% on 318/325, but for the 328/M3 it's 30%. I have a ZM3 shifter on my 328 and I like it, it was a cheap mod that works. I also weighted my selector rod to make the shifter a little smoother.

Personally I don't like the 60% reduction, it's too notchy, it feels like a toggle switch.

Autotechnica
03-02-2004, 03:39 PM
Originally posted by thinair

Personally I don't like the 60% reduction, it's too notchy, it feels like a toggle switch.

Agreed. The shift throw is just right for me, but it's definitely too notchy. I heard the weighted shifter mod from understeer.com helps to somewhat alleviate this problem.

Bry

thinair
03-02-2004, 03:43 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
I heard the weighted shifter mod from understeer.com helps to somewhat alleviate this problem.

So what are you waiting for?:P

Autotechnica
03-02-2004, 03:48 PM
Originally posted by thinair
So what are you waiting for?:P

For someone to do it for me :P