Don't even ask!:( :( :(

Autotechnica
05-16-2002, 08:48 PM
next

Autotechnica
05-16-2002, 08:51 PM

NickP
05-16-2002, 08:59 PM
Car's trashed, glad you're not... I guess in the greater scheme of things that's all that is important

bimmersport
05-16-2002, 09:01 PM
I still can't believe it!!!!!!!:(

The car was driving so good after you had the sub-frame fixed, DAMN!

Bryan, what do you mean "no longer a maXbimmer member"?

Autotechnica
05-16-2002, 09:01 PM
yep car is totaled.

Autotechnica
05-16-2002, 09:08 PM
You can check out the crash site around 16th and Baview (16th going East) if your in that area.

I think my car become too stiff because I was obsessed with having a stiff chassis. It was raining and I was driving on 16th at 11am. There was a small bend in the road, the rear of the car broke loose and the tail came out to the left. I counter steered it half throttle, the car then started to spin in the opposite direction. I countered once again w/ no throtte on neutral. The car did a 360 into the opposite lane, jumped the curb, skidded many meters before hitting a electricity pole, (left front fender), car did another 180 and backed up and hit a tree.

Bliss
05-16-2002, 09:29 PM
Oh man! sorry to hear that. Be glad that you're ok though. It looked like you hit it pretty hard. Whats the plan after this Bryan?

M-POSING
05-16-2002, 09:45 PM
OMG!!!....Thank god your ok Bryan...the car can be replaced at a later time but your life can't :eek: :(
-Alfred

'88 325e
05-16-2002, 09:48 PM
OUCH! Glad your are still with us Bryan! I think you will be a maXbimmer member for life!

L8R,
Dave

Autotechnica
05-16-2002, 09:50 PM
Thanks for the concern guys. I'm waiting to see what my insurance company will pay me for the car. Its unfixable. Maybe I will get an E30 325 or save up and get a 94+ 325 or 328 E36. Hopefully I can get $8K or more for my '92 318.

Bryan

SickFinga
05-16-2002, 10:00 PM
OMG MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! !!!!!!
that's a lot of damage
I'm really sorry for your car.
I hate accidents.
You are ok, that's the main.

AND LIKE I SAID BEFORE F*UCKING RAIN
really I'm scared to drive in rain now.

Mr seville
05-16-2002, 10:08 PM
did you go to the hospital to get yourself checked out?

i can't believe it!!!!!two weeks ago randy was barking at your car :( and now look. well all i can say is to hope for the best and if you get another car make sure that it is compatible with the parts you import.

hope to see ya soon
mar

Gamite
05-16-2002, 10:08 PM
Man, this is the first time me seeing it. I still cant believe it. :(

BMW BMXer
05-16-2002, 10:30 PM
:eek: to much rain in ontario...

shit..sucks bro, but at least u live on to get another BMW

MP328
05-16-2002, 10:38 PM
hollllyyy f******ck

sorry to hear and see that man.
your still ok so that cunts you'll get another one.

looks like there is nothing that can be saved anymore on there

MPRESION
05-16-2002, 11:19 PM
Originally posted by Gamite
Man, this is the first time me seeing it. I still cant believe it. :(

Same here... thought it was a joke at first until I scrolled down to see more pics and info. Geez Brian, sorry to hear. Are you ok though?

DunDan
05-16-2002, 11:42 PM
Bryan,

That is one of the most awful sights. Sorry to see that it happened but at least you are ok.

KIRASIR
05-16-2002, 11:58 PM
Sorry to hear this dude, at least you are alright. If I were you I would buy the car out and fix it.

I could probably hook you up with a guy who could make like new again for a reasonable price. I've seen him restore cars that were in WAY worst condition than yours. He's been doing body work for the last 15-20 years.

Serge

Eurostyle
05-17-2002, 12:17 AM
S#$t.....it looks like maxbimmer is loosing a car every few weeks!!! Its good that you are OK, but it realy sucks for your car!!!! sorry to see that...*uzi*

Betray
05-17-2002, 12:18 AM
**** Bryan, wtf to make things worse right in front of my house...
and about 3 hours before this i called and asked you for a repair body shop cause someone did a ****ing hit and run on my car..
thank god its only a cavalier.. but still pisses me off =(
so sorry to hear man.,... **** this is awfull

Furious
05-17-2002, 12:40 AM
ahh bryan sorry to hear man,,, thankfully your ok,,

e36_freak
05-17-2002, 12:40 AM
man that sux. like eurostyle said maxbimmer losing bimmers like mad. dang summer only starting too......:(

///Mr.T
05-17-2002, 12:56 AM
no! not again! This is terrible! That sounds like a horrific wreck. Glad you're ok, your car was one of the best, I'm sure the next will be just as good. Make sure you get checked out! :(

Matthew C Smith
05-17-2002, 01:56 AM
hey, glad to hear that you're alright.

Car's can be replaced, you can't

Phantom
05-17-2002, 05:43 AM
Good grief !!............... :eek: ...This is becoming a weekly occurence. Sorry 'bout the car Bryan. I never even got to see it in person. You're ok like everyone says, and that's what counts. Bimmers are replaceable. Remember Bruces E36??

djcontra
05-17-2002, 08:51 AM
Shit man! That's unbelievable! I feel bad because i know how it feels to get into an accident, it sucks ass, even if the insurance company helps out, it's still traumatising.
I'll help you find a new car if you need any assistance. Do you think they'll let you salvage any mods for the next car?
I'm paranoid of driving in the rain/snow as well. That's when i had my accident. In fact i saw a miata spinout and get completely totalled yesterday around 8am on the kipling exit off the gardner. The whole scene wa sa complete mess, but the passengers (an older couple) were ok which was good. Everybody jumped from their cars on the offramp to help out because it looked so bad. Makes me mad nobody stopped to help ME out when i had my accident 2 years ago :mad:

dont feel so bad though, it could have happened to anyone. The car is replacable, and if you didn't like something about this ride, you can improve on that and do things differently with the next!
Things can only get better from here
:)

bmer332i
05-17-2002, 09:40 AM
Man, that's a terrible site to see. The important thing is your not hurt physically. Emotionally you'll be affected for a long time .. but in a positive way. You'll learn from this experience and will know how to avoid such a situation in the future. I speak from experience as a similar thing happened to me 8 years ago.

I'm sure you'll end up getting something better in the near future .. that's usually how it works out. This is just a temporary setback that you're sure to overcome.

EMPOWERD
05-17-2002, 11:09 AM
Originally posted by MP328

Someone needs to get layed...?:D

Bryan,

Sorry to hear that.. like everyone said, glad you're okay. There's no reason not to be a MaxBimmer member though.

NickP
05-17-2002, 11:18 AM
Originally posted by empowerd

Originally posted by MP328

I think he left out an o -> counts... hmnnn I've got to use that as an excuse in emails, no I mean counts, counts!!! :P

MP328
05-17-2002, 03:39 PM

well it's friday so i'll take care of that

and bryan i never had a chance to race you :( . i'll wait for your next car

Autotechnica
05-18-2002, 03:17 AM
Again thank you all for your concerns and for still welcoming me to this board.

I have already been looking around for some solid E30's.

Bryan

EMPOWERD
05-18-2002, 08:10 AM
Bryan,

Don't bother with an E30 M3.... torqueless money pit. Just get a 325is and do a conversion in the future.

'88 325e
05-18-2002, 09:39 AM
Don't bother with an E30 M3.... torqueless money pit. Just get a 325is and do a conversion in the future.

Bryan and Randy,

I had this crazy idea when I read that. I was thinking that you should get a E30 M3 with a blown motor and put in a newer M3 engine in it. I dont know how good of an idea it is but man that would be sweet and hella fast!

P.S. I bet i'm going to be flamed for this! LOL! :D

Carlo
05-18-2002, 02:56 PM
If your looking. PM me for details.

http://http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/attachment.php?s=&postid=19320

Betray
05-19-2002, 12:11 PM
i thought thats what randy did with his e30 M3

anyways bryan what happend with the parts?

'88 325e
05-19-2002, 12:47 PM
Originally posted by Betray
i thought thats what randy did with his e30 M3

Randy's E30 started it life as a 1988 325e. Yep. Just another 2.7L eta under the hood. :)

ronin
05-19-2002, 01:45 PM
Bryan,

Glad that you're ok.
Good luck with the insurance and hope to see
your new Bimmer soon!

Ronin

Autotechnica
05-19-2002, 07:22 PM
Hey guys, thanks for the ideas. Only problem is I'm not gonna get dink for the 318 when the adjuster takes a look at it. I've been looking at the auto traders and I would like to ask those of you who have early model E36 325's, whats the deal? 1992 325i is listed cheaper than a 1992 318i and in some cases even a '93 325i is cheaper. Are there certain problems related with the 325 that I don't know about, are the motors any good? I'm looking for the early model E36 325 engine w/o VANOS and OBD1. I realize that all pre '94/95 E36's will have the sub-frame failure, I will have to deal with that again.

I may just have the adjuster find me another 1992 318i w/ approx. the same amount of milage. Only problem is I need the adjuster to pay me for the rear sub-frame fix. Also, if I don't have the receipt for my 17" ATS rims which are now totaled, will my insurance company still pay me for that? Thanks

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-19-2002, 07:28 PM
Bryan,

Randy,

Thats a good idea, I can't find many good E30's which I can afford. If I had the money to do M3 conversions and forced induction I wouldn't be driving a 318 in the first place. How is the motor on the E30 325? Are they capable motors in terms of modifying them? All I've heard is that you can bore the shit outta them and get crazy displacement.

Rob,

All the cars you listed are way outta my price range. Added those E30 M3's sound like a fix or repair daily. Probably my 318 will only cover the repair costs of that car and not the actual car! I mean the only reason someone might sell that Bavarian beauty is if something were wrong with it. Thanks anyways.

Autotechnica
05-19-2002, 07:38 PM
Originally posted by ROB89M3

Bryan,if you are looking for torque,then grab yourself a V8 muscle car.They are dirt cheap too.......

Rob,

Are you sure that wasn't directed at Randy? :D

I really hope you aren't suggesting that I get a V8 muscle car. And besides I think M3's have plenty of muscle. At least they can corner and brake as well. I loved my 318 because it cornered like a race car. I knew the motor would never be torquey but after I changed my differential it had all the torque I needed, sometimes even too much! Well either way I wouldn't mind going for another 318. Just wanted to try something different, hoping to get the 325 but I think in the end I'm getting the 318. This time my diff is going to be stock! No more being left behind on the highway during cruises! :D

Bryan

Hartge H26
05-19-2002, 08:35 PM
rob, where's the '91 hartge. send me the link please.

thanks

Marita
05-20-2002, 08:47 AM
omg! good thing is that u r ok...

EMPOWERD
05-20-2002, 06:28 PM
Bryan,

Why would you bother with another 4 banger if you can buy a 6 for the same price? ESPECIALLY the E30 M3!!!! That thing is an absolute money pit in the worst way... ask anyone that actually drive's their M3 (NOT ROB!). You can buy a high mileage E30 325 in mint shape for around $4500 and for another $4500 you slap in a reliable M50 2.5L motor that can be tweaked in the future easily to hit 250+HP. Think about it.... leaves extra money to personalize the car with different wheels/skirts etc...

Mr seville
05-20-2002, 06:35 PM
i like your reasoning randy*th-up*

EMPOWERD
05-20-2002, 08:00 PM
not some car that was put together peice by peice. :rolleyes:

How do you think they assemble it at the Motorsport plant in Germany?..... is it just born out of an egg Rob? Man.. you're incredible!*drunk*

SickFinga
05-20-2002, 08:09 PM
I dunno why Randy dissing e30 m3, but I think those cars are amazing, they look so damn nice. I've never driven e30 m3, but I think it has nuff power and nuff torque
with 4cyl it has ~200hp and ~200torque.
not bad at all.

M3ntal Kev
05-20-2002, 08:14 PM
The e30 M3 is not a money pit..

Dude, are you sniffing glue? :huh?:

The e30 M3 is a money pit. It is a very high maintenance car and an expensive one at that.

Starting out with a cheaper shell and building a cost effective ride is a very smart plan. Now not everyone needs to go to Randy's lengths :D but an e30 with a motor swap can be quite a rewarding car. An e36 325is with some work can also be much the same.

The key to the equation is to find something you enjoy driving and then get around to really driving it.

M3ntal Kev
05-20-2002, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by SickFinga
I dunno why Randy dissing e30 m3, but I think those cars are amazing, they look so damn nice. I've never driven e30 m3, but I think it has nuff power and nuff torque
with 4cyl it has ~200hp and ~200torque.
not bad at all.

Not sure where you're getting your numbers but the stock hp is 192 @ 6750 and torque is 170 @ 4750.

Take a close look at the rpms that those numbers come in at and it becomes clear that the e30 M3 is a great (momentum) track machine and not a great daily driver.

SickFinga
05-20-2002, 08:22 PM
right here
http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Engines/BMW/M3/1988.asp

M3ntal Kev
05-20-2002, 08:26 PM
right here
http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Engines/BMW/M3/1988.asp

That page is totally wrong! (BTW, the e30 M3 is not Supercharged).

You want real specs, go here --> http://www.artglenn.com/bmwm3/

And click on the engine section to get the real info (Click Me (http://www.artglenn.com/bmwm3/engine.html))

M3ntal Kev
05-20-2002, 08:44 PM
Yes,it is a money pit if you keep on destroying it at the track...it will require more service the harder you drive it.Also the more you neglect the car,the worse it is...The parts are expensive (just like any rare car).

Oh no... here it comes... [ rant ]

Man you're unreal!

You tout the e30 M3 as the winningest touring car of all time but you whine about "destroying" it at the track. Man you're one funny guy. Perhaps you should have considered a vintage car of another type... wait no... hell, ever heard of the Goodwood Festival??? there are vintage cars there that get tracked that are worth many many many times as much as the e30 M3... what's funny is that more and more you're starting to sound like a poseur with an e30 M3.

You're not interested in track events ( w/your "winningest touring car of all time") or driving unless its driving at irresponisble speeds on public roads. Geez... man are you a f_cking moron or what?

You're scared to drive your car because you're scared of the maintenance... sheesh... for your $27k you could have easily bought a nice VW or Honda rather than letting your M3 suffer a fate worse than death.

[ /rant ]

M3ntal Kev
05-20-2002, 09:34 PM
OK...There are 2 kinds of E30 M3 owners...

Ones that go all out and track their M3's and don't give a hoot about'em....

and

M3 owners that care about their hard earned $$$ and plan on keeping their M3's for a long, long time....

It is really not feasible or in my best interest to track my car.This is when the most wear and tear takes place,not going straight at 220kph.....I only go fast when I'm with other (bmw's) on the road and THEY are going fast....I really don't speed at all...

Yes,I could've bought an M3 *JUST* to use at the track and have money left over to buy a honda of some sort,but I opted to pay a little extra and buy myself a 2.5 with all kinds of other mods to it,and I plan on keeping this car.Period

AND YES...the E30 M3 IS the most winningest touring car of all time and it does not need to keep on being raced on the track.....

thanks

Oh, I feel like crap because I don't care about my M3 and I didn't spend and hard earned money on mine. (I just picked the bills off the money tree in the backyard.)

I had you all wrong Rob, I didn't realize you only speed at 120km/h over the speed limit when you're with other BMWs. Shoot, that's okay then. And doing 130 in a 60 zone and complaining about brake fade is cool too, as long as there is a perfectly good reason, which I'm sure you can come up with.

One thing I haven't figured out yet, though, is why you need a 2.5 with nice mods if you don't ever speed and are worried about your M3's resale value and it spontaneously falling apart if you get too close to a race track?

BTW, I thought I was in the third group, which maintains and cares for their M3s and takes them to the track so their M3's soul doesn't die or fade away.

Autotechnica
05-20-2002, 11:14 PM
Randy,

I've searched around for E30's and I can't find any newer ones, 89-91 which have the black bumpers. I hate the chrome bumbers. If I do indeed purchase an E30 325 I would like to know how the engines are? No matter what you will never be able to keep up with the newer technologies, seems like the only thing to do is an engine swap. Also, for that $4500 to get an E30 its more than 10 years old. I don't feel good about purchasing such an old car, I know E30's are amazing cars, but still eventually things do fail, and I don't want to be left with a huge repair costs.

Please let me know where I can find these E30's for around $4500 in good condition, thanks Randy!

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-20-2002, 11:19 PM
Rob,

I think Kev is just saying that having a highly modified M3 motor and not racing it is just kinda odd. If you wanted to keep everything in top shape and not race it, you should have got a stock M3 or not an M3 at all. Makes sense to me. I don't know maybe you didn't have a choice since I know E30 M3's are rare. But I think if you really wanted to keep it in top shape and only drive around on the city roads you should try to restore it back to stock. Its just not practical.

Bryan

EMPOWERD
05-20-2002, 11:26 PM
Bryan,

I totally understand you're concern about a car that old. That is big issue and if you really do love your car, little things that go wrong periodically don't really piss you off... they make me want to improve on it over and over. I can't promise that you'll find that perfect E30 'cause the fan blower relay might blow after 3 months... just typical 10+ yr old car problems. If you want something with less maintainence you might want to buy a '94+ Bimmer with warranty. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Don't let the aluminum bumpers throw you off too much, they can be replaced with M-Tech covers for peanuts.

Rob,

You're really digging your grave on this one..... why don't you just sell your "winningest touring car"... pay off that big loan and go buy a Hyundai.

EMPOWERD
05-20-2002, 11:46 PM

you really should not be talking like that Randy,cuz you are a moderator for maX. You're not showing a good example ..*no-no*

I'm showing the best example possible...

TRUTH

that's why people ask me for my opinion on things... I tell it the way it is. Not my fault if you can't handle it.:moon:

Autotechnica
05-20-2002, 11:47 PM
Bryan,

I totally understand you're concern about a car that old. That is big issue and if you really do love your car, little things that go wrong periodically don't really piss you off... they make me want to improve on it over and over. I can't promise that you'll find that perfect E30 'cause the fan blower relay might blow after 3 months... just typical 10+ yr old car problems. If you want something with less maintainence you might want to buy a '94+ Bimmer with warranty. I'll keep my eyes peeled for you. Don't let the aluminum bumpers throw you off too much, they can be replaced with M-Tech covers for peanuts.

Rob,

You're really digging your grave on this one..... why don't you just sell your "winningest touring car"... pay off that big loan and go buy a Hyundai.

Randy,

thanks for the advice. I agree with you that whenever a repair comes up I always try to get some new improved part. Sadly enough a lot of parts are just maintenence replacement parts which cannot be improved upon. These are exactly the type of things a 10 + year old car would incur. I just hope I can get at least $8K for my 318. I may just get an E30 afterall. The M50 motor swap sounds like a good idea. I should talk to Jacob or Darryl about that I guess. Generally the M50 motor can be swapped into the E30 with no further modifications right?

Thanks!

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-20-2002, 11:54 PM
Bryan,you won't find a good conditioned e30 89-91 for $4500. You will have to spend over $6500-$8500p, to get a decent e30 in those years,even more if they are slightly modded already.

is $4500 your max you will spend?

How 'bout this one?

Year: 1991
Make: BMW
Model: E30
Model Detail: HARTGE EDITION
Price: $10,500
Mileage: ------- km
Date Posted: 5/16/02
Ad Type: Private
Comment: Euro spec., local car, red on black, fully appointed w/all of BMW features & more! Low km, no accidents, 2nd owner, car must sell - leaving country! Will sell cert. & emissions. $10,500 obo. (416)737-4496 after 6 pm or (416)652-1386.

Rob,

Thats a sweet ass car. Exactly what kind of engine is that though? Anyways, I am always skeptical about purchasing modified cars, eh hem. If I don't know what is in the car or what has been done to it I wouldn't drive it. Who knows what could go wrong. Personally if I ever modified a car and spent so much money on it who in their right mind would sell it? Probably unless there was something wrong with it.

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-21-2002, 12:06 AM
Hey Bryan if you really want soemthing badly,you'll go ahead with it no matter what. Always get the car checked out (you have Charlie to do that for you) no matter what. This e30 looks like a really solid car. I haven't seen it,but looks really nice!!:eek:
Modified cars aren't always a bad idea to buy cuz it saves you all the hassle of doing it yourself which is $$$ and a pain in the ass.

Rob,

lets face it, there are lots of morons out there that would appear to know what they are doing but in reality don't know shit about modifying their cars. I wouldn't trust some teenager to modify my car. I would much rather start from scratch myself. Every mod effects how your car runs, how would you know what to modify on your car next if you don't even know what was done to it? Just because the car "looks" good it doesn't make me want to buy it. I can easly add those kits on myself at a later time. I guess we just have different ways of doing things. Honestly speaking do you even know what half of the mods in your car do? I'm not dissing you or anything, just proving a point.

Bryan

Autotechnica
05-21-2002, 12:17 AM
Before I bought my M3,since all the engine work was done by Steve/John at Bavarian Motors,I talked to them about the car. They know every spec on the engine and suspension on the car.
I know everything and every mod on my car.

I also had to rebuild my bottom end cuz my car had been tracked with no oil and it spun a bearing.There was no way of telling that this would happen. Anyway,my engine is very strong now since I took it to over 230 kph from wasaga. The engine is bulletproof now.

Sometimes there is no-way to tell what is gonna break down next. Unless you buy a brand new car with warranty and stuff,used cars will require more maintenance/repairs.No doubt about it.If you decide to go e30,make sure you find out as much as possible about it.

Ok thanks! :)

Bryan

Bliss
05-21-2002, 01:27 AM
Bryan, i didnt check this car out too well. Just asked if its for sale. There's a "91 M3 for sale by my place, and he's asking 13000. the downfall is that it was in an accident. Don't know how severe it was though. It's being sold fixed though. PM me if you want to check it out.

ThE bRoWn GuY
05-21-2002, 03:51 AM
Get an e30 and M50 it!! RELIABLE, and not too many other mods needed... Pretty much a drop-in!

addbhp
05-21-2002, 08:18 AM
Anyway,my engine is very strong now since I took it to over 230 kph from wasaga. The engine is bulletproof now.

Ugh, So because you've done 230 on the street your car is bulletproof? I'm sure that's not what you meant, better check your command of the english language.

What really pisses me off is the speed that you appear to drive on the street, and brag about it. I'm going to have to agree with M3ntal Kev, you sound like a poser, who gives the rest of the BMW drivers a bad name.

Mark

GladdoM3
05-21-2002, 08:44 AM
I am sorry to hear abou your accident ! Glad your OK !
Youre car can be replaced !

'88 325e
05-21-2002, 03:37 PM
Bryan,

When I get my car back I will let you take it for a spin to see if you like it or not. Sound cool? I'm crossing my fingers to get it back before I finalize the cruise to the Falls.

L8R,
Dave

Razkal
05-21-2002, 09:28 PM
OMG - those pics were pretty bad!!! I am happy that you made it through tho.

Glad to see ya here still and stay safe!!

Sanj

e36m3
05-21-2002, 11:00 PM
On the topic of losing cars, I've attached a few pics. It's not often that you meet a deer on the 401, eastbound at the DVP exit, on a rainy Thursday afternoon at 1:30pm... but with my luck, well, check out the pics. The estimate came to $13.5K for repairs. My insurance company had a look at the pics, and had no reason to doubt the cause of the damage.

SickFinga
05-21-2002, 11:02 PM
doesn't look like a 13.5k damage to me

e36m3
05-21-2002, 11:02 PM
Here's the poor deer. My friends commented that it's much cheaper to buy bullets.

e36m3
05-21-2002, 11:06 PM
Front end is shifted to the driver's side, rad supports broken, fan broken, rad punctured, ripped A/C lines, lots of crushed parts underneath the hood. There's even a big hole in the belly pan from one of the hooves that got ripped off by the spoiler, and it went up through the belly pan.

However, nothing happened to the overall structure. Perfectly straight on the frame machine. I'm hoping to pick up the car later this week.

SickFinga
05-21-2002, 11:09 PM
I f*cked up my m3 on DVP and on the raining day too.
pics are here:
http://www.maxbimmer.com/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=1406&highlight=f%2Acking+rain

paid 7k of hard earned money to fixed that.

morale: don't drive in rain with worn out tires

Gamite
05-22-2002, 12:02 AM
I cant believe you hit a deer on the 401!! What in the world is a deer doing on the 401 near DVP?? thats insane!

KIRASIR
05-22-2002, 09:32 AM
Last year I was driving on 401 between Waterloo and Toronto, It was about 11pm, pitch black. I missed a deer by about a foot doing about 130km/h. Imagine what would have happened!
Those ****ers do get on the highway once in a while.

SL

Originally posted by Gamite
I cant believe you hit a deer on the 401!! What in the world is a deer doing on the 401 near DVP?? thats insane!

GR8 Ride
05-22-2002, 11:26 AM
Bryan,

Why would you bother with another 4 banger if you can buy a 6 for the same price? ESPECIALLY the E30 M3!!!! That thing is an absolute money pit in the worst way... ask anyone that actually drive's their M3 (NOT ROB!). You can buy a high mileage E30 325 in mint shape for around $4500 and for another $4500 you slap in a reliable M50 2.5L motor that can be tweaked in the future easily to hit 250+HP. Think about it.... leaves extra money to personalize the car with different wheels/skirts etc...

I'll dispute that one, unless one is planning on pumping air into the motor.

Stickley has built a couple of *cheater* motors for Club Racer's, and he's only getting a reliable 240 HP out of the 2.5L block (with custom head work, etc). For awhile, I had talked to him about doing this, but the price for doing it was only slightly less than dropping a used 3.2L US spec motor into my car.

For the money, I would't spend too much trying to make the 2.5L motor into a 250+ HP monster; the 3.2L

On the flipside though, as a dedicated track car, the E30 M3 is an excellent choice, but it can be pricey as a daily driver. Torque isn't everything on the track, provided you at least a certain amount to begin with...4.10 rear ends make life interesting.

Besides, it's fun driving a high revving M3 on the track, rather than some OHV V-8 that tops out at 5000 RPM.

Pat

EMPOWERD
05-22-2002, 12:23 PM
Originally posted by Bad-Karma

I'll dispute that one, unless one is planning on pumping air into the motor.

Stickley has built a couple of *cheater* motors for Club Racer's, and he's only getting a reliable 240 HP out of the 2.5L block (with custom head work, etc). For awhile, I had talked to him about doing this, but the price for doing it was only slightly less than dropping a used 3.2L US spec motor into my car.

For the money, I would't spend too much trying to make the 2.5L motor into a 250+ HP monster; the 3.2L

On the flipside though, as a dedicated track car, the E30 M3 is an excellent choice, but it can be pricey as a daily driver. Torque isn't everything on the track, provided you at least a certain amount to begin with...4.10 rear ends make life interesting.

Besides, it's fun driving a high revving M3 on the track, rather than some OHV V-8 that tops out at 5000 RPM.

Pat

Pat,

I agree with you competely.... that's the whole reason BMW decided to go with a 4-cyl back in '87 for the M3.... the point I'm making is only referring to this thread which revolves around Bryan's unfortunate incident. I don't think Bryan even plans on tracking his next car (although it might be a good idea to help him out in case he looses the back end again -- sorry Bryan) and on that note, I think a 6 would be a lot more user-friendly on the street. A bigger issue which started the whole dispute was the maintainence costs of the S14 motor.

SickFinga
05-22-2002, 03:10 PM
hmmm ok I got a couple of question
1. Why did BMW decide to use 4cyl in m3?
2. I always though 4cyl cars were much better for daily driving. Why I'm wrong?

P.S. e30 m3 body looks so SIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIICK. I want it.

M3ntal Kev
05-22-2002, 04:19 PM
hmmm ok I got a couple of question
1. Why did BMW decide to use 4cyl in m3?
2. I always though 4cyl cars were much better for daily driving. Why I'm wrong?

1. I think the reason for using the 4cyl is for better balance. The engine sits further back in the engine bay resulting in a 53:47 fr:rr weigh bias.

2. Usually 4cyl engines are great for daily driving but the S14 is tuned for high rpm and track use. A 6cyl will have more torque and generally drive better in "light-to-light" environments.

I prefer 4cyl cars for performance driving but, 6cyl for daily driving; makes me miss my Mk2 Jetta GTX VR6. At the track, I prefer the M3 because its very nicely balanced and it screams through every gear. Even though I'd like some more power in the M3, I can still manage to pass quite a few more powerful cars (running R-compounds where I am not) at the track.

If you are serious about an e30 M3 I'd be happy to go for a drive with you so that you can compare it to your M3.

SickFinga
05-22-2002, 04:35 PM
yeah but why they pick 6cyl for e36 and e46 m3s?
and do u know how e36 m3 balanced?

Autotechnica
05-22-2002, 10:21 PM
I prefer 50/50 balance because I love neutral handling, its predictable. After I fixed my rear sub-frame and got urethane bushings in the rear my car was oversteering like a bi*ch. No problem, oversteer in a 4 cyl not so powerful engine is still quite safe and fun. After I got the front reinforced w/ stiffer bushings, x brace my car was drifting like crazy! My tires couldn't handle the stiff chassis and I wasn't use to it since these mods were done before I got use to the oversteer. I also have no experience countering when it comes to wet roads. I always save my a$$ on dry roads because I've had the practice. I'm getting quite good at cornering and countering oversteer. The tail kicks out so easily its just so predictable. I felt my car was unsafe for wet roads though.

Bryan

e36m3
05-27-2002, 09:06 PM
I got my car back today from the shop, and after some nice work by European Autobody, it's as good as new. The paint job is excellent.