PDA

View Full Version : Stereo Woes

audiophile
03-01-2004, 07:32 PM
Hey guys,

I have an 87 325is here, it's listed for sale in this forum as well, but thats not the point :p

The factory head unit is screwed beyond belief; my local stereo shop told me this car was common grounded, and thus an aftermarket head unit was out of the question unless i rewired all the speakers in the car.

say it isnt so! :(

Mystikal
03-01-2004, 07:58 PM
What you heard is true. It really shouldn't cost much extra to rewire them, my shop did it for free.

chromius
03-01-2004, 08:31 PM
only half true....it is true that it has a common ground, however, if you had the stock "upgraded system" with the amp behind the trunk lining, than it fits no prob. so if the guy told you that you had to rewire the all speakers, I would suggest a second opinion. Or just check to see if you have the amp in the trunk, its hidden behind the trunk lining on the drivers side. that will tell you if you have to rewire or not.*th-up*

Mystikal
03-01-2004, 08:49 PM
Yes, but headunits that are run through the stock amp sound absolutely terrible. Mine was for the first week, then I went back and had it redone properly.

chromius
03-01-2004, 08:52 PM
Originally posted by Mystikal
Yes, but headunits that are run through the stock amp sound absolutely terrible. Mine was for the first week, then I went back and had it redone properly.

I beg to differ, Mine sounds absolutly amazing....crystal clear.

BMW BMXer
03-01-2004, 08:56 PM
Ya just rewire.

Mystikal
03-01-2004, 08:59 PM
Originally posted by chromius_e30
I beg to differ, Mine sounds absolutly amazing....crystal clear.

What's the amps power, like 10rms per channel? That thing starts clipping before I can even enjoy the music.

chromius
03-01-2004, 09:05 PM
I'm dead serious when I say it sounds good. Right after I did it it sounded like crap, but its because I had a bad ground, once I got that fixed, I was amazed at how good it sounded.

Mystical...mine dosn't clip at all, maybe we are talking about different ones:confused: does your's have the tweeters in the doors up near the mirrors?

Mystikal
03-01-2004, 09:17 PM
I have the premium setup, with the sail panel tweets.

When my deck was installed they ran it through the factory amplifier and it sounded terrible, definitely worse than stock. When I went back to complain they explained the wiring configuration and rewired the entire car. The sound quality was about 4x better.

chromius
03-01-2004, 09:28 PM
Crap, I feel like an idiot...I just ran out and checked my setup, and realized that I did end up bypassing the amp in the trunk:rolleyes: , however I didn't rewire the speakers, because from the amp in the trunk there is both positive and ground for each individual speaker, so I used an aftermarket harness to switch the split grounds to a common ground at the head unit, and switched it back at the amp in the trunk. It was a while ago...I could have sworn that I left it connected.:confused: Sorry.

BMWE30
03-01-2004, 10:22 PM
I have my new Awia headunit wired through the stock setup...It sounds damn good and I even had the stock speakers...its a 200w head unit...Now I have JBL speakers and it sounds even more kick ass...stock amp isnt thattttttt bad ;)

audiophile
03-01-2004, 11:23 PM
this car has the sailpanel speakers, right behind the a-pillar... does that mean i have the upgraded sound system? i dont recall there being an amp in the trunk, but i'll go dig.

Mystikal
03-01-2004, 11:27 PM
If it has the component front speakers, then you have the premium setup. The car came with the amp, no one knows if it's still there. :D

SebSter
03-01-2004, 11:38 PM
can someone pls tell my what i exactly need to rewire for the ground so that it stops making the alternator whine? i tried just regrounding the headunit to a different ground and that didnt work.. i got an amp in the trunk powering the speakers, should i also reground that?

chromius
03-01-2004, 11:45 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
can someone pls tell my what i exactly need to rewire for the ground so that it stops making the alternator whine? i tried just regrounding the headunit to a different ground and that didnt work.. i got an amp in the trunk powering the speakers, should i also reground that?

That sound in mine went away when I switched to some new 8mm performance ingnition wires. that could be whats causing that on yours.

audiophile
03-01-2004, 11:45 PM
is the head unit the same for the premium and non premium?

i dont plan on having this car for much longer, so i really dont want to rewire it or pay to have it rewired- but the head unit is screwed and is very intermittent at best- and i am driving this until i sell it, so i really do need some tunes.

i was hoping to buy a used stock head unit, but if i need to find a premium one it will really complicate things.

chromius
03-01-2004, 11:55 PM
It should be the same, do you have the external fader control on yours? because there were some that didn't come with that and the fader was built right into the deck....don't know which models came with what though...but something to watch out for.

Jase
03-01-2004, 11:59 PM
Rewiring your speakers is easy. buya good spool of speaker wirepush pins and your all set.
If your engine is making noise check some of the grounds under the hood. You may be getting dirty power. You can run your 12v radio lead to the battery + terminal may clean it up. Or look into regrounding your amp and getting a line silencer( noise supperssor).

audiophile
03-02-2004, 12:21 AM
It should be the same, do you have the external fader control on yours? because there were some that didn't come with that and the fader was built right into the deck....don't know which models came with what though...but something to watch out for. I have the external fader on mine- it works like crap lol. No balance control I noticed.

SebSter
03-02-2004, 06:06 AM
That sound in mine went away when I switched to some new 8mm performance ingnition wires. that could be whats causing that on yours.

sry for the noob question but which ones are the ignition wires? (connecting what ot what?)

and jase, where can i pick up a noise suppressor?

Jase
03-02-2004, 06:12 AM
Any car audio shop sells them. Dont get a walmart kind or something.

chromius
03-02-2004, 01:23 PM
Originally posted by SebSter
sry for the noob question but which ones are the ignition wires? (connecting what ot what?)

and jase, where can i pick up a noise suppressor?

Some people call them sparkplug wires...

One goes from the Ignition coil to the distributer, and the other 6 go from the distributer to the spark plugs*th-up* Changing those definitly got rid of the noise.

SebSter
03-05-2004, 02:41 AM
Some people call them sparkplug wires...

One goes from the Ignition coil to the distributer, and the other 6 go from the distributer to the spark plugs*th-up* Changing those definitly got rid of the noise.

did you change them with oem ones? or did you buy them from somwhere else? also is it an easy change? did you do it yourself?

chromius
03-05-2004, 03:57 AM
I changed them with 8mm silicon insulated performance ones, I had a crack in one of my OEM ones, so I figured now would be a good time to upgrade them. its about a 5 min job to change them, and possibly one of the easiest do it yourself jobs. Just remember how the old ones came off, cuz you don't want to mix up the wires. And they look really nice when you're done*th-up*

chromius
03-05-2004, 04:05 AM
And actually the noise seems to be a known problem, BMW put out a technical service bullitin about it.

6505891978 DEC 89 Radio/Stereo - Whine Through Speakers

SebSter
03-05-2004, 03:53 PM
hey thanks for the help.. actually sry for a couple more questions..

1. can i find the wires at any car shop? like would can tire have it?

and 2. whre could i access that bulletin?

thanks a LOT for ur help by the way, i really appreciate it

chromius
03-05-2004, 04:10 PM
I'm not sure about the ones that can tire sells, they wanted $460 for Bosch OEM ones, so I told them to shove it, I got mine through Bavarian autosport they seemed to have the best price.
http://www.bavarianautosport.com and the service bullitin is available through all data, but you have to pay for the whole bullitin, but you can at least see what the known problems are. http://www.alldata.com/

and its my pleasure to help out, thats what this forum is about, sharing knowledge.*th-up*

SebSter
03-05-2004, 04:19 PM
cool, thanks :)

SebSter
03-05-2004, 04:24 PM
last question, they sell for about 150us so i dont wanna order it unless im sure its gonna fix the problem... are you sure that its gonna get rid of that whine? because i didnt have it before installing my aftermarket deck, so im thinking maybe its not the same problem as the one in the bulletin.. i just dont wanna waste my money if its not gonna fix the prob

chromius
03-05-2004, 05:41 PM
Well, all I can attest to is with mine it did get rid of the problem...however, I had the problem when I had my stock deck in as well, and I still had the problem after I put in my new head unit, so it is possible that you have a different problem. so I can't make any guarantees...one thing you can do is to check to see if your stock wires are cracked....
in the dark, start the car and spray a mist of water over the ignition wires and see if you can notice a blue arc (spark) comming from the wires...if you do, then its time to replace them.