PDA

View Full Version : Writeup of rear shock mount replacement

Phazer
02-29-2004, 07:28 AM
Been searching but I cannot seem to find a writeup anywhere, anyone have links to writeup's of how to replace the rear shock mounts?

Phazer
02-29-2004, 07:35 AM
A writeup of how to change them with e46 mounts and re-inforced Z3 plates would be nice ;)

thinair
02-29-2004, 08:37 PM
http://www.racepad.com/tech/bmw/change_rear_shock_mounts/change_rear_shock_mounts.pdf

How's that :)

you need Adobe Acrobat reader (PDF file) to view it.

The reinforcement just goes under the nuts of the mount, on the inside of the trunk.

Justin e36
02-29-2004, 11:03 PM
thx thinair... been looking for a good write-up too... how do you know when there's a problem with your shock mounts?... I hear a slight knocking at the rear of my car when I accelerate hard. thinking it might be the shock mounts.. or subframe.. (92's have that faulty subframe that needs reinforcing..)

thinair
03-01-2004, 06:20 AM
Originally posted by Justin e36
thx thinair... been looking for a good write-up too... how do you know when there's a problem with your shock mounts?... I hear a slight knocking at the rear of my car when I accelerate hard. thinking it might be the shock mounts.. or subframe.. (92's have that faulty subframe that needs reinforcing..)

Well, put out the shock mounts, see if they're torn or something. It's hard to tell without pulling them out. The knocking could be a few things, worn shock mount, worn shock, worn rear toe arm bushing, etc....

Start with the cheapest most likely part and work from there.