PDA

View Full Version : Coolant + steam = help

koncise
02-28-2004, 05:23 PM
Ok, here's what happened... I was driving on the 401 pushing the car a bit.. maybe 170 or so.... all of a sudden I feel and see the RPM's drop (car's automatic), which had me worried. So after I get off the highway, I noticed a little bit of steam coming from under my hood. I pull into a gas station to check it out. Now I notice coolant has "exploded" from somewhere. Its mostly on the bottom of the hood (roughly above where the headers are), and also where noted in the attatched picture. (also with small spatters on the engine cover).

So I let the car sit for 10 - 15 minutes then drive home. The drive home was normal (although I kept it pretty slow). Temp gauge is also normal.

Whats wrong? Please help :(

R_JAY
02-28-2004, 07:32 PM
Check the temp sensor that plugs into your intake. There are two hoses on it which carry coolant so see if one of the clamps have come loose.

koncise
02-28-2004, 08:49 PM
thanks man.. i'll check that out.

btw, I've driven for like 45 minutes more or so since... and everything still seems normal.

phaust
02-28-2004, 09:40 PM
happened to me. it's was a clamp. the more you push de car, the more pression you have in the hoses..

koncise
02-28-2004, 09:49 PM
Originally posted by phaust
happened to me. it's was a clamp. the more you push de car, the more pression you have in the hoses..

which clamp exactly? a picture would be great if possible :)

phaust
02-28-2004, 09:52 PM
sorry i don't have any pics, but mine was the one that go straight to the radiator.. the big one the right ( or left. well the same side of the airbox ) hehe

near where you put the circle on the pics!

R_JAY
02-28-2004, 10:23 PM
Originally posted by koncise
which clamp exactly? a picture would be great if possible :) There are two small hoses attached to the temp sensor that plugs into your intake. I can see one of them from the pic you posted. Check the two small clamps on those hoses.

moerom
02-28-2004, 10:47 PM
The EXACT same thing happened to me when I was racing an s2000. I pressed the gas, it downshifted to first, and the increase in pressure and the physical torquing of the motor ripped of a rad hose from its mount and sprayed coolant all over my hot motor, making more steam than I have ever seen in my entire life. I kilometre long trail of sweet smelling smoke lol

SickFinga
02-28-2004, 10:50 PM
Originally posted by moerom
The EXACT same thing happened to me when I was racing an s2000. I pressed the gas, it downshifted to first, and the increase in pressure and the physical torquing of the motor ripped of a rad hose from its mount and sprayed coolant all over my hot motor, making more steam than I have ever seen in my entire life. I kilometre long trail of sweet smelling smoke lol

damn, was that emberassing or what? lol

koncise
02-28-2004, 10:56 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
There are two small hoses attached to the temp sensor that plugs into your intake. I can see one of them from the pic you posted. Check the two small clamps on those hoses.

Those 2?

koncise
02-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Originally posted by moerom

haha... it was against a celica for me :)

moerom
02-28-2004, 11:47 PM
Vlad, the bastards I was rolling with didn't even stop to help :(

Yeah it was embarrassing, but when my truck was fixed I had fun embarrassing a sports car with a pickup:)

R_JAY
02-29-2004, 12:11 AM
Originally posted by koncise
Those 2? Ya, those are the ones.