PDA

View Full Version : supersprint exhaust needs repair

sjinto
02-28-2004, 01:51 PM
of all the mods i've done (not many really) - my supersprint cat-back exhaust was well worth the money.... now after 2 maybe 3 years it's got a hole (approx. 1" dia)...*sad*

i need to take it to a muffler shop to see if it can be repaired properly... any shops in the west end (miss / brampton) that will do a good clean job??

sjinto
02-28-2004, 02:07 PM
it's bigger than i thought... more like 3" x 1"

Autotechnica
Doesn't SS have a lifetime warranty?

sjinto
just for fun:P

sjinto
02-28-2004, 02:53 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
Doesn't SS have a lifetime warranty?

i'm pretty sure it's 3 years (maybe the stainless steel parts come w/ lifetime warranty?)

i looked into my files - i bought it in Sept 2000... 3 1/2 years ago :mad:

phaust
02-28-2004, 09:45 PM
i have the same exhaust, with the same problem.. mine is less than your.. it's just under the "serial number? " plate.. a little piece of metal 2-3cm by 5-6cm..

look like it's the same place as your..

thinair
02-28-2004, 10:58 PM
Does Supersprint make non-stainless exist exhausts? Stainless steel doesn't rust right?

2slow2race
02-28-2004, 11:11 PM
cant u just patch up the hole with metal and weld it ?

ToBimer
02-28-2004, 11:42 PM
same problem here! mine is rusting, but theres no hole yet. it wont last long, i give it a year and a hole opens. i also would like to know if it can be patched up

WASABI
02-29-2004, 12:01 AM
The only stainless steel SuperSprint made for the e36 was for the M3, which still fit non-M.

When my brother's car was towed, the towing company scraped his exhaust so bad that it put a hole on it, it was the size of a toonie. The body shop patched it up with a 3" square of stainless steel, his muffer is stainless steel.

That hole looks pretty big though. It's probably doable, but it'll probably rust again. Take it to a muffler shop, they can probably grind off all the rust to expose bare metal so they weld on it. You'd have to see if it's worth all the trouble though.

sjinto
02-29-2004, 02:23 PM
i took my car to a Midas near my house... first the guy's like "Looks like you need a new muffler"

A**hole... how bout fixing it i ask - "Oh yeah you can do that too"

40 bucks to weld a plate to it and it should perform as intented before it eventually breaks again

i didn't go through the details right then and there but i need to determine what type of material to use (i.e., can i use galvanized steel... satin finish... or something similar to offer a level of rust resistant.... i'm pretty sure welding a stainless plate won't be an option

Autotechnica
02-29-2004, 03:32 PM
Mine is an ANSA and I'm starting to see some surface rust at the bottom. There's nothing you can do about it, the extreme heat really wears down the metal. It seems like the cheap aluminized mufflers from Magnaflow last longer than our Italian made exhaust systems. Oh well, please let us know how the exhaust system works out after you have the plate welded in. I'd be interested to know since I may be doing this soon someday. (fingers crossed)

Bry

sjinto
08-26-2004, 03:00 PM
[Oh well, please let us know how the exhaust system works out after you have the plate welded in. I'd be interested to know since I may be doing this soon someday. (fingers crossed)

Bry [/B][/QUOTE]

OK here's the update (better late than never)

the hole was patched up by mig welding a plate over it and painting it w/ heat resistant muffler junk

it's been about 8000 kms and still looks good... sounds much better but it's still noticeable when i'm at a stand still

worth the effort*th-up*

///M3
08-26-2004, 06:29 PM
stainless doesent usually rust... but it will rust around welds and if u give it alot of heat it might rust

Adriano
08-27-2004, 04:31 PM
Too bad you guys don't live near Windsor. I can tig weld a stainless steel patch no problem. Done it many times and only takes 20 minutes.

Lennon
08-27-2004, 04:46 PM
Originally posted by Adriano
Too bad you guys don't live near Windsor. I can tig weld a stainless steel patch no problem. Done it many times and only takes 20 minutes.

How good are you with the tig, good enough that after your done and after the polish its hard to tell it was welded?