PDA

View Full Version : Removed hood liner

Phazer
02-28-2004, 06:32 AM
My hood liner was pretty dirty so I removed it to clean it and put it back on, however when it was off I quickly drove the car around in the neighbourhood to hear if there is a noticble differance between engine noise now, and dammmm, the car sound nice, I can actually hear my engine now ;)
So my question is will it do any damage to the car, cracked paint etc. as the hood get's warmer now?

Phazer
02-28-2004, 06:33 AM
Busy coming off

HooliGaN*
02-28-2004, 06:35 AM
hrm i dont think so

there are alot of domestic cars aroudn here that dont even
have them

but dont touch ur hood after a long drive
haha

Julian

Phazer
02-28-2004, 06:35 AM
Completly off. Also I like the look of the hood liner off.

thinair
02-28-2004, 07:56 AM
Nope, it won't, I removed my hood liner when I bought my car (1.5 years ago), no problems yet, you'll hear more engine noise, that's about it.

Autotechnica
02-28-2004, 04:17 PM
Originally posted by thinair
Nope, it won't, I removed my hood liner when I bought my car (1.5 years ago), no problems yet, you'll hear more engine noise, that's about it.

What's the benefit of removing the hood liner? Does it weight a lot or something? I thought it was there to protect the hood from the engine's extreme heat temps.

thanks,

Bry

thinair
02-28-2004, 05:26 PM
Originally posted by Autotechnica
What's the benefit of removing the hood liner? Does it weight a lot or something? I thought it was there to protect the hood from the engine's extreme heat temps.

thanks,

Bry

No, it's light, and it's just there for noise reason. Think about the extreme heat on the right shock tower from the exhaust manifold, no issues there right?

Autotechnica
02-28-2004, 05:32 PM
No, it's light, and it's just there for noise reason. Think about the extreme heat on the right shock tower from the exhaust manifold, no issues there right?

But still, the hood is much thinner metal. I thought without the liner it would warp or something.

Just curious, why did you remove it? Louder engine?

Thanks,

Bry

thinair
02-28-2004, 05:37 PM
But still, the hood is much thinner metal. I thought without the liner it would warp or something.

Just curious, why did you remove it? Louder engine?

Thanks,

Bry

No warping, don't worry so much, lots of cars don't have it from factory. I removed it because I never liked the look of it, and the strut bar was compressing it. It's hot under the hood but not that hot to warp the hood. If that was the case no one would use carbon or fibreglass hoods.

Autotechnica
02-28-2004, 06:30 PM
No warping, don't worry so much, lots of cars don't have it from factory. I removed it because I never liked the look of it, and the strut bar was compressing it. It's hot under the hood but not that hot to warp the hood. If that was the case no one would use carbon or fibreglass hoods.

Here's the thing though, I know people who have E36's with warped carbon fiber hoods. I'm worried :(

I guess the hood liner would also help to seal up certain types of aftermarket intake heat shields.

Was the engine significantly louder? From the auto-x vid your motor is much much louder than your exhaust.

Bry

thinair
02-28-2004, 08:10 PM
Here's the thing though, I know people who have E36's with warped carbon fiber hoods. I'm worried :(

I guess the hood liner would also help to seal up certain types of aftermarket intake heat shields.

Was the engine significantly louder? From the auto-x vid your motor is much much louder than your exhaust.

Bry

I guess if you buy a crappy carbon hood, I doubt anyone with a Mashaw hood has had it warp yet.

And if you don't have an intake yet, just get one made with the heatshield made for the M3 LTW, it didn't have hood foam either.

And a little, i don't know, I'm usually inside my car when it's moving around at high rpm.

hioctane
02-29-2004, 12:41 AM
It does look better with the liner off. I just vacuum mine when I detail the engine (and it's a pain). I might take mine off. thanks for the pic.

Autotechnica
02-29-2004, 04:14 AM
I couldn't resist. You guys made me ;)

I took a nice 1 hour drive after that flying on the highway. My winter tires and brakes were smoking to ablivion but the hood was nice and cool. The motor was slightly louder, but not annoying. I'm glad I removed it. Parts of the hood liner were ripped and it wasn't tucking under the rubber hood seal properly anyways.

SickFinga
02-29-2004, 05:01 AM
M3 LTW came with no hood liner from factory, so it is a safe mod

djcontra
02-29-2004, 07:17 PM
Looks good!
Now you guys need to put some mylar on the trapesoid like spaces under the hood to give it that cool mirror shine :)

Justin e36
02-29-2004, 08:27 PM
as posted before, the M3 LTW didn't come with a noise insulation on the hood (roof, or trunk either)...

See bullet #9 on the image posted below.

This is a safe mod.