PDA

View Full Version : Motronix CAI vs. Carbonio?

chitown
02-26-2004, 11:58 PM
I don't intend this topic to be a what's better than the other, but I'm planning on making my first engine mod purchase next week, and I'm looking between these 2 CAI's.

Since I'm pretty much a newbie when it comes to engines and such, my friend was telling me about the elbow that connects to the throttle body and main pipe, and it looks as either of these intakes don't have them. He owns a MX6 though so I'm assuming engines and how they handle air flow might be quite different. But he suggested me getting an intake WITH an elbow piece for better airflow.

My second point is that the carbonio intake is approx. $60 more than the motronix (money is sort of an issue, but if there's a huge difference it might be worth it). Other than the Carbonio being obviously lighter, is there any HUGE difference between the two?

And I don't really have the time nor skills to make my own CAI so I think I'm just going to invest in one.

What do you think?

///MsAniTy
02-27-2004, 12:48 AM
i think thinair has one for sale n its a motronix i think pm him n see cuz u will se sayin alto of money on somthin that wotn make a differentce trust me i got a carbonio i mena it sounds insane n all but too much money for wut u really get but hey it lookss badass

jmalixi
02-27-2004, 01:17 AM
IMO, there is no need to spend too much money on an intake because you'll get very similar results. The key is to make sure your engine is not sucking in hot air and use a good quality filter.

If you get a short ram intake, make sure it's shielded. If you choose the long pipe design with the filter down by the bumper, make sure you get a sock to prevent igesting water.

You can build your own from various parts and it will cost you a lot less and it doesn't require a lot of skills. A short pipe, a K&N filter, and a shield from ECIS (they sell one for the E36) bought separately will cost you less than a full kit.

I put together one for my E46 and I really like how it turned out.

Just my 2 cents....

thinair
02-27-2004, 06:40 AM
I've had both, I had the Motronix when I bought my car, and the Carbonio now.

They're basically the same, buy the Carbonio for looks, get the Motronix if it's cheaper.

The Motronix tube is longer, which is good because it cleared the headlights better and moved the filter into colder air, but is more prone getting wet. Just don't submerge the front of your car in a 1ft high puddle and you'll be ok.

The Carbonio one is also really light, but I don't think it matters, it's not like the 1lbs difference will be noticable.

They both sound the same to me, loud above 5000rpm.

Neither the Motronix or Carbonio uses a K&N cone, but they're both cotton gauze type K&N copies. No complaints anyway.

I sold that Motronix one a while ago.

Don't expect any significant gains, or differences between any cold air intake.

If you want to be cheap, but want the induction noise, just debaffle your stock airbox, it's a free mod. Get a K&N drop in filter if you like. Watch the first Maxbimmer Auto-x video, I have a debaffled airbox in that, you can hear it. Not as loud as a true cold air intake, but louder then stock.

Also, watch for fitment issues if you have either headlight washers, or euro Ellipsoid headlights (or replicas)

chitown
02-27-2004, 10:19 AM
Thanks a lot thinair, helped me made my decision. :)

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 05:10 AM
Originally posted by thinair
If you want to be cheap, but want the induction noise, just debaffle your stock airbox, it's a free mod. Get a K&N drop in filter if you like. Watch the first Maxbimmer Auto-x video, I have a debaffled airbox in that, you can hear it. Not as loud as a true cold air intake, but louder then stock.

If I toss in a K&N Filter in my airbox at the moment I can get very similar results as a Carbonio Cold Air intake? Also will it have that roaring intake sound around 5000rpm with just a new K&N filter?

thinair
02-28-2004, 06:09 AM
Originally posted by Mitch555
If I toss in a K&N Filter in my airbox at the moment I can get very similar results as a Carbonio Cold Air intake? Also will it have that roaring intake sound around 5000rpm with just a new K&N filter?

Almost, but not quite. I haven't dyno'd both setups, but from what I hear, CAI's don't really give you all that much in terms of gains. But I'm assuming that a CAI will give you a couple more horses then just a debaffled airbox with a K&N.

To get some more induction noise all you have to do is debaffle the airbox, even with the stock filter you get more noise. It's still not going to be as loud as a CAI. Mine is pretty loud. I love the roar when going under bridges*mw*

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 06:43 AM
Almost, but not quite. I haven't dyno'd both setups, but from what I hear, CAI's don't really give you all that much in terms of gains. But I'm assuming that a CAI will give you a couple more horses then just a debaffled airbox with a K&N.

To get some more induction noise all you have to do is debaffle the airbox, even with the stock filter you get more noise. It's still not going to be as loud as a CAI. Mine is pretty loud. I love the roar when going under bridges*mw*

I watched both Auto X Vids and I must say that the 2nd one with your Carbonio Intake sounds muuuch better! *mw*

Also I have changed my headlights to Angel eye projectors. They look like they are a little bit bigger in the back where you put the bulbs in. Would that have any effect on the placement of the Carbonio Intake you think?

I know the feeling, when I got my muffler put on I loved hearing my exhaust roar under bridges. It sounded and still sounds like a badass Diesel V8 Cigarette boat (Race boat)!! I love the burbling sound it makes! *mw*

thinair
02-28-2004, 06:54 AM

Also I have changed my headlights to Angel eye projectors. They look like they are a little bit bigger in the back where you put the bulbs in. Would that have any effect on the placement of the Carbonio Intake you think?

The Carbonio has an extra bracket if you have the ellipsoids. Do you also have headlight washers?

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 07:07 AM
The Carbonio has an extra bracket if you have the ellipsoids. Do you also have headlight washers?

So the fitment will be okay with the braket that comes with the Carbonio Intake? I have Ellipsoids and I don't have headlight washers.

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 07:29 AM
Forgot to ask, What steering wheel do you have in the first Auto X video? It is a nice one! *th-up* I want to get one but I'm just afraid if I get into an accident my face will get mangled. How is the steering wheel in comparison to the stock one?

R_JAY
02-28-2004, 08:17 AM
Forgot to ask, What steering wheel do you have in the first Auto X video? It is a nice one! *th-up* I want to get one but I'm just afraid if I get into an accident my face will get mangled. How is the steering wheel in comparison to the stock one? I worry more about my car getting mangled than my face *shiner*
The Carbonio intake is great. I only had a chance to take my car out once with it but it was loud as hell at high rpm. Make sure you tell them you have ellipsoids though so they give you the right one. I did however have some fitment probs with the ellipsoids but with a quick pm to thinair I had it fitting fine in under 15 minutes*th-up*

EMPOWERD
02-28-2004, 03:08 PM
Forgot to ask, What steering wheel do you have in the first Auto X video? It is a nice one! *th-up* I want to get one but I'm just afraid if I get into an accident my face will get mangled. How is the steering wheel in comparison to the stock one?

How will you face get mangled if you're wearing your seat belt and sit properly in the seat (not up close to the wheel like a 4'6" driver would)? I think Nelson wants to sell that steering wheel shortly... i agree, it's mint*th-up*

thinair
02-28-2004, 03:46 PM

It's a Momo Commando, it's a pretty nice wheel. I think any wheel smaller then stock probably feels nice. I don't think I'm going to sell this wheel, but I am planning on buying another one for auto-x. Just a note, if you're planning on doing something like auto-x, get a round steering wheel. The really fast steering with a wheel with a flat bottom can get weird sometimes.

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
I worry more about my car getting mangled than my face *shiner*
The Carbonio intake is great. I only had a chance to take my car out once with it but it was loud as hell at high rpm. Make sure you tell them you have ellipsoids though so they give you the right one. I did however have some fitment probs with the ellipsoids but with a quick pm to thinair I had it fitting fine in under 15 minutes*th-up*

Sweet. Looks like I'll just get a Carbonio Intake instead of changing my Filter and debaffling it. Especially after I saw the Auto X video with the Carbonio Intake installed in thinair's car. Sounds NICE!! I'll let the guyz at Carbonio know that I have Ellipsoids for sure. Your right, thinair has been a great help. *th-up*

Rich, Will your car be fully ready for this Spring/Early Summer?

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 04:01 PM
Originally posted by EMPOWERD
How will you face get mangled if you're wearing your seat belt and sit properly in the seat (not up close to the wheel like a 4'6" driver would)? I think Nelson wants to sell that steering wheel shortly... i agree, it's mint*th-up*

I just feel that I might get jurked forward far enough to smash my face on the steering wheel. I'm not thaaaat tall so I can't sit far back. I sit sorta close to the wheel I guess. Not thaaaat close but decently close. Who knows... maybe it might be alright. If anything I'll get wiplash cuz an airbag won't save my head from jurking all the way forward. Dammit. Now you got me seriously thinking on getting a Racing Wheel. :D

The one thinair has with the flat bottom, what is the main purpose of that? Just so your feet don't touch the wheel? Wouldn't that get annoying during turns though?

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 04:05 PM
It's a Momo Commando, it's a pretty nice wheel. I think any wheel smaller then stock probably feels nice. I don't think I'm going to sell this wheel, but I am planning on buying another one for auto-x. Just a note, if you're planning on doing something like auto-x, get a round steering wheel. The really fast steering with a wheel with a flat bottom can get weird sometimes.

It is a very nice wheel for sure! Weight wise It looks much lighter and it look like you are more capable of doing faster turns and it would feel as if your car is more responsive.

How does it feel doing daily driving with the flat bottom wheel? Does it ever get annoying?

R_JAY
02-28-2004, 04:26 PM

Rich, Will your car be fully ready for this Spring/Early Summer? It should have been done by now but my lazyness is holding up the progress:)

thinair
02-28-2004, 04:32 PM
The flat bottom isn't too bad on the street. But when auto-xing I have to steer so fast that a round wheel would be better.

And yeah, I guess it's for more leg clearance, I run my steering column pretty high anyway, so it wouldn't bother me either way.

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 04:43 PM
Originally posted by R_JAY
It should have been done by now but my lazyness is holding up the progress:)

I know exaaaactly how it feels! I'm a lazy mofo right now too. I'll start doing the things to my car in the Spring.

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 04:45 PM
The flat bottom isn't too bad on the street. But when auto-xing I have to steer so fast that a round wheel would be better.

And yeah, I guess it's for more leg clearance, I run my steering column pretty high anyway, so it wouldn't bother me either way.

Excellent! Thank you very much for your help! It is much appreciated! *th-up*

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 06:25 PM
I forgot to ask...

After I take off my stock steering wheel.... Can I put it back on later on down the road and have the airbag working without having to pay the dealership to put it back on for an outrageous price?

chitown
02-28-2004, 06:56 PM
Where are these videos you guys are talking about? I'd like to hear the intake :D

thinair
02-28-2004, 07:07 PM
I forgot to ask...

After I take off my stock steering wheel.... Can I put it back on later on down the road and have the airbag working without having to pay the dealership to put it back on for an outrageous price?

You can uninstall and reinstall it yourself, you may have to go to the dealer, or a shop to get the airbag light reset though. I'd recommend finding a small shop with SRS reset tool, try Charlie/Bimmersport, he may have one.

When removing the steering wheel remember to disconnect the battery for at least 10-15 minutes before disconnecting the airbag. There are a few DIY's online I believe, or better yet, check the Bentleys manual if you have one handy.

Originally posted by chitown
Where are these videos you guys are talking about? I'd like to hear the intake :D

http://www.maxbimmer.com/videos

chitown
02-28-2004, 07:21 PM
Nice, love your car :)

Mitch555
02-28-2004, 07:21 PM
You can uninstall and reinstall it yourself, you may have to go to the dealer, or a shop to get the airbag light reset though. I'd recommend finding a small shop with SRS reset tool, try Charlie/Bimmersport, he may have one.

When removing the steering wheel remember to disconnect the battery for at least 10-15 minutes before disconnecting the airbag. There are a few DIY's online I believe, or better yet, check the Bentleys manual if you have one handy.

Great! Thanks for the help thinair! *th-up*

Bill Gates
02-28-2004, 08:44 PM

Also, watch for fitment issues if you have either headlight washers

Hey thinair, what issues did u have re: the headlight washers? i'm planning on getting the carbonio in the spring. i heard the carbonio is plug and play??

Thanks.

thinair
02-28-2004, 10:03 PM
Originally posted by Bill Gates
Hey thinair, what issues did u have re: the headlight washers? i'm planning on getting the carbonio in the spring. i heard the carbonio is plug and play??

Thanks.

From what the guy from Carbonio told me is that their CAI fits fine with either the headlight washers, or just the ellipsoids, but if you have both, let them know so they can send you a different filter. Mine is tapered, not cylindrical.

They actually installed mine inhouse for free because I was the first to have that issue. Now they know. Just let them know of your setup at the time of ordering. They're answer your questions.

EMPOWERD
02-29-2004, 01:24 AM
Spread the word that CARBONIO now has an awsome E46 M3 intake system (similar to the GruppeM) available. Flows more air and build quality much superior to the GruppeM.

http://www.but.at/images/e46m3.jpeg