PDA

View Full Version : URGENT- swapping suspension

Powerslide
02-26-2004, 09:56 PM
can anyone help me here? I have to swap the springs off one e36 to mine. Problem is we dont have a shop to do it.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to swap them? Also, can anyone tell me which tools ill need to do it?
this is urgent since i must know before saturday morning!!
thank you!!

Autotechnica
02-27-2004, 01:37 AM
Originally posted by Powerslide
can anyone help me here? I have to swap the springs off one e36 to mine. Problem is we dont have a shop to do it.
Can anyone point me in the direction of a tutorial on how to swap them? Also, can anyone tell me which tools ill need to do it?
this is urgent since i must know before saturday morning!!
thank you!!

Everything is quite straight forward, but you'll need a spring compressor tool to compress the front springs.

The rest all you will require is a socket wrench and a set of sockets. A good 2 tonne jack and 2 jack stands should be fine.

If you're planning on swapping any springs from a 6 cyl into a 318 using the 318 strut, it won't fit. Just be warned.

Bry

Powerslide
02-27-2004, 06:30 AM
thanks, its just 318 to 318 though. phew

thinair
02-27-2004, 06:34 AM
For the rear springs, it's recommended that you unbolt the half shafts from the diff to prevent damaging the CV joints. You'll need a torx socket for this, I forget what size.

Also, get a friend to help, you'll need and extra set of hands.