PDA

View Full Version : Lightweight Flywheel w/ Stock Clutch?

chitown
02-26-2004, 12:37 PM
Just wondering if there is a lightweight flywheel on the market that can be installed with the stock clutch. When I got my clutch replaced the dealership wanted to charge me an extra $1200 I believe to replace the stock flywheel. Is there any aftermarket flywheels that will work with the stock clutch?

thinair
02-26-2004, 03:59 PM
I believe most of the flywheels available require you to swap to an M3 clutch.

My opinion, swap clutches while you're there if you can.
The UUC Stage II clutch is $499US ($657CDN+tax), you can get an M5 clutch from the dealer for like $650CDN, or $500-550CDN if you shop around online.

chitown
02-26-2004, 07:25 PM
Damn...probably about 4 months ago I replaced my clutch to another stock one since it went on me. The dealership said I should replace the flywheel but I couldn't afford one especially when they were going to charge about $1200 just for that. So instead they just sanded the flywheel and it's been fine since, but I'm worrying that if it does go eventually that I'll have to pay out my ass for a new one, so I was just wondering if I could just get a lightweight one aftermarket and swap.

I guess I'll risk it though and wait till this clutch goes but that might be a couple years...

How much are the flywheel's going for cost-wise? Other than UUC?

thinair
02-26-2004, 10:08 PM
What is wrong exactly with your stock flywheel? How many clutches have you gone through?

Most flywheels cost about $500-650US.

chitown
02-26-2004, 11:07 PM
Well when my clutch went (only once), I took it to the dealership to replace. The next morning they pull a "oh, well, it looks like we'll have to replace your flywheel too since its a bit burned." I don't remember if they said it was burned or what the exact word was, but they offered to sand it down (after 3 times I had to call them back because I was freakin out about the extra $2000 it was lookin that I had to spend) or replace it which I said would run me $2000 (I said $1200 earlier but I checked my old post from last year to clarify for myself).

It cost me $800 for the new clutch and them to sand my flywheel so I wouldn't have to replace it then.

I guess they were really ripping me off as they were going to charge approx $1500 for flywheel + installation?

djcontra
02-26-2004, 11:48 PM
they were trying to rip you off. Sanding down the flywheel should have been the first choice they gave you...

chitown
02-26-2004, 11:53 PM
Yeah, they waited a few calls to tell me that option, actually it was me asking if there was anything else I could do since I had no way of affording it, but obviously I didn't know any better. Live and learn :)

crazyvadim
02-27-2004, 02:57 AM
Clutch went once and your flywheel is "burned"??
you can just resurface the flywheel,you dont have to get a new flywheel unless your ring gear teeth are worn or chipped then you would need a new ring gear

chitown
02-27-2004, 03:12 AM
They didn't say anything other than that, but it's been almost 5 months and it's still running fine. Hell for all I know the flywheel is fine but they just tried to scam me for an extra 2 grand..

crazyvadim
02-27-2004, 03:44 AM
Originally posted by chitown
They didn't say anything other than that, but it's been almost 5 months and it's still running fine. Hell for all I know the flywheel is fine but they just tried to scam me for an extra 2 grand..

Yeah most likely.Did they show you the damage on the flywheel??
Whenever someone comes in for one thing to get repaired at my shop,i always explain what went wrong and show the damage.

thinair
02-27-2004, 06:01 AM
Originally posted by crazyvadim
you can just resurface the flywheel

Appearently you can't, or aren't supposed to resurface/machine the dual mass flywheels. I've heard this from a lot of people, not just BMW mechanics/service guys.

crazyvadim
02-27-2004, 06:47 AM
Originally posted by thinair
Appearently you can't, or aren't supposed to resurface/machine the dual mass flywheels. I've heard this from a lot of people, not just BMW mechanics/service guys.

Your right you cant,forgot about that.I dont really deal with BMWs but i know M cars came with DMF's,did the 325/328 come with it too??

thinair
02-27-2004, 07:02 AM
Your right you cant,forgot about that.I dont really deal with BMWs but i know M cars came with DMF's,did the 325/328 come with it too??

Yep, I believe the 318's too.

crazyvadim
02-27-2004, 07:05 AM
Yep, I believe the 318's too.

I see,so how the f*ck did they resurface chitowns flywheel?? :confused:

thinair
02-27-2004, 07:17 AM
I see,so how the f*ck did they resurface chitowns flywheel?? :confused:

From what I understand, some light sandpaper buffing.

crazyvadim
02-27-2004, 07:19 AM
From what I understand, some light sandpaper buffing.

That wouldnt help a warped or cracked flywheel.

thinair
02-27-2004, 07:29 AM
That wouldnt help a warped or cracked flywheel.

I don't think he mentioned a warped or cracked flywheel. If it's only burned, the surface would be all blue and purple (glazed)right?

chitown
02-27-2004, 10:21 AM
Aye, all they mentioned was that it was burned and could sand it. And they did not show me the damage to it either as they had my car overnight and I had to wait until they were finished pretty much :(