PDA

View Full Version : 318i, need help. 3 questions in one.

Hohner
02-22-2004, 05:11 PM
Hey, i've got a 1991 318i and i've got a few questions.

My primary question is about my ABS, my ABS seems to work only occasionaly and i'm wondering why. In the rain, I had to slam the brakes on, I didn't feel any pulsating in the brake pedal but my car felt like it was locking up and slid sideways in the road, and another time on dry pavement I had to slow down quickly and I heard my tires screech horribly. I wanted to see if my ABS was working or not, so I went onto a backroad and I was able to get it to activate. So my situation is, when I don't need ABS it works, but when I really need it, it doesn't work... any answers?

Secondary Question: When I have my stereo on, and when i'm driving, occasionaly I will tap my brake and the stereo will shutoff for a second, reset, and turn back on. This same effect can be caused by the brights being flicked on and off? This is also confusing me.

Other question: I've had my clutch for the 109,000 original miles on the car, and recently it's been feeling a bit 'spongy' and funny, I can pump the clutch a few times while the car is neutral and I will get the 'engaging' point to normal. My pedal pressure changes everyday, from supersmooth and nice to fairly stiff. Hmm.

NickP
02-22-2004, 05:14 PM
1) Does your ABS light come on in the instrument cluster?
2) Sounds like a ground issue, some people have experienced this when reusing the stock ground with an aftermarket unit.
3) Sounds like your clutch slave cylinder is on the way out.

Hohner
02-22-2004, 07:27 PM
No, the ABS light does NOT come on, a long time ago it did turn on but turned off after turning the car on and off again.

How would touching the brake pedal turn off the stereo and turn it back on?

felixthecat
02-22-2004, 07:52 PM
it sounds like a weak alternator,i had that problem in my 318i,as for the abs i have no idea???but if you need a control unit i have one here(dont buy a new,i heard there like 1400$)

crazyvadim
02-22-2004, 11:29 PM
1.I would guess its the ABS sensors,usually thats the problem that most people have.

2.Do you mean your lights flicker or dim sometimes?? if so thats sounds like your alternator is gonna be going out soon.

3.I would have to agree with NickP,sounds like the clutch cylinder.....i would suggest also replacing your clutch while your at it.

Hohner
02-22-2004, 11:32 PM
No, the lights don't flicker. When I tap on the brake (not everytime I tap on the brake, but sometimes) or when I flash my brights, the stereo resets.

crazyvadim
02-22-2004, 11:46 PM
Originally posted by robbieosterman
No, the lights don't flicker. When I tap on the brake (not everytime I tap on the brake, but sometimes) or when I flash my brights, the stereo resets.

You brought the car this way??
probably something wrong with the wiring.

Hohner
02-23-2004, 12:17 AM
Well, if it is help me pinpoint it.

crazyvadim
02-23-2004, 12:23 AM
Well, if it is help me pinpoint it.

Wish i could,im not really good with electrical.Did you buy the car with this problem??

Hohner
02-23-2004, 04:01 AM
Hmm, my dad said he noticed it halfway through the life of the car not when he first bought it.

felixthecat
02-23-2004, 07:57 AM
any corrosion under the hood?battery terminals?

NickP
02-23-2004, 12:55 PM
Originally posted by crazyvadim
1.I would guess its the ABS sensors,usually thats the problem that most people have.

Its not an ABS sensor, if a sensor returns an outlier reading, the ABS system stops working and the lights come on.

NickP
02-23-2004, 12:56 PM
How would touching the brake pedal turn off the stereo and turn it back on?

I don't know how to explain it, but I had this happen with an aftermarket deck reusing the stock ground. Using a new ground resolved the issue.

chromius
02-23-2004, 01:33 PM
Originally posted by NickP
I don't know how to explain it, but I had this happen with an aftermarket deck reusing the stock ground. Using a new ground resolved the issue.

I had similar probs with an aftermarket, but it wouldn't reset the stereo, the sound would just get all quiet, and crackily, I pulled the stereo out ran a new ground with some 14 guage wire, fixed the problem.*th-up*