PDA

View Full Version : sunroof and trunk leaks

qimis
02-21-2004, 04:58 PM
has anyone had this problem before ? i was thinking to put a silicone sealant, instead of getting a new rubber. the trunk leaks seems pretty bad ... and i dont know how come the trunk lid (inside) got wet aswell :confused: . should i change the rubber ? and how much will that cost ?

thanks in advance. i'll post some pics later

Skunk#1
02-21-2004, 05:43 PM
you should check the drains for the sunroof, blow them out with compressed air or take a piece of wire and feed it through, make sure they are not blocked, they will leak into the car or the trunk. hope this helps.

theNoiseJava
02-21-2004, 07:34 PM
The trunk seal isnt that expensive. I would check the seal around your tail lights. Most of the time thats where trunk leaks come from. Mine was leaking, I just tightened the nuts so the tail lights were tighter and that fixed it. The water on your trunklid just happens because the vapors rise.

BladeRunner
02-22-2004, 03:57 AM
why do the taillight assemblies do that. one thing to check is the seal around the taillights because only so much tightening will do, the seal must still be in good shap too. mostly likely you need new a seal if no loose bolts.

sonic07
02-22-2004, 05:25 AM
Originally posted by qimis
has anyone had this problem before ? i was thinking to put a silicone sealant, instead of getting a new rubber. the trunk leaks seems pretty bad ... and i dont know how come the trunk lid (inside) got wet aswell :confused: . should i change the rubber ? and how much will that cost ?

thanks in advance. i'll post some pics later

Leo, the trunk leaks seem to be a common problem. i bought a new rubber for it but i haven't install it yet since my bimma is now still at the body shop getting stuff done to it. the rubber for the trunk is 73 bucks + taxes.

silicon sealant is not a bad idea for temporary fix.

jps
02-23-2004, 01:37 AM
dude - it may not be the trunk seal....

where does the water sit?

I had a problem where water was building up where the jack sits - I knew it wasnt the boot seal because it looked too new.

took it all out and looked underneath the carpet where to jack sits and there is a rubber pipe that comes from the sunroof that had come loose from the point which it drains water out the the road.... hence fillinp up my boot with water. I fixed it up and bang - problem fixed!

beammer12000
02-23-2004, 11:19 PM
the seal for the sun roof costs i think $120 cad and the trunk is $100