PDA

View Full Version : Ignition key kept turning ... ???

WASABI
05-13-2002, 07:03 PM
My ignition key kept on turning this morning when I was trying to start my car. Only when I rocked the steering wheel and turned the key back and forth, that it caught and started. Is this a security failsafe or malfunction? Has it ever happened to any of you?

Gurl Bmw
05-14-2002, 09:39 AM
That has happens to me lots of times.... The first time though is really scary I almost Sh*t my pants.....

WASABI
05-14-2002, 05:29 PM
Is this gonna break down? I don't want to get stuck somewhere cuz my car wouldn't start.

Mr seville
05-14-2002, 06:54 PM
that happened to me on my old van trust me replace the ignition cylinder now you don't want to be stuck in a crappy tire parking lot 3 weeks from now like i was:mad: :mad: :mad:

330DTM
05-14-2002, 07:37 PM
Quite possible that you did not insert the key full or the system failed to read your key.

Try yourself. Stick the key in halfway to the ignition and start turning it. It'll keep turning like so :)

Matthew C Smith
05-17-2002, 02:00 AM
I agree, stick the key in a bit further and you should be all set.

Gamite
05-17-2002, 03:04 AM
Sometimes my key wont turn unless I rock the steering wheel a bit. Probably just a little missaligned.

ALISTAIR
05-17-2002, 02:30 PM
THE PROBLEM WITH YOUR IGNITION IS THAT THERE IS A LITTLE TAB IN THE IGNITION TUMBLER HOUSING. THIS BREAKS OFF IF SOMEBODY IS TRYING TO START YOUR CAR WITH OUT YOUR PERMISSION (i.e. STEAL YOUR RIDE). THEREFORE YOUR IGNITION TUMBLER WILL JUST SPIN, AND NOT ENGAGE YOUR IGNITION SWITCH. YOU WILL NEED TO REPLACE TO IGNITION TUMBLER HOUSING. OTHER THAN THAT YOU SHOULD BE ALRIGHT. IN CASE YOU'RE WONDERING THESE TABS USUALLY BREAK OFF IF YOU DID NOT HAVE THE KEY ALL THE WAY IN AND TURNED IT. THE ASSEMBLY IS NOT TO HARD TO CHANGE OUT, IF YOU TAKE IT SOMEWHERE TO GET IT DONE THEY SHOULD BE DONE IN A COUPLE OF HOURS. THE TRICKY PART, IS THE BREAK OFF BOLTS THAT HOLD THE ASSEMBLY IN PLACE. HOPE THAT ANSWERS YOUR QUESTION. IF ANYBODY ELSE HAS ANY OTHER TECH QUESTIONS TO ASK, I WILL DO MY BEST, I'M A MASTER TECH FOR A BMW DEALER HERE IN HOUSTON.

djcontra
05-17-2002, 03:41 PM
gamite: same here
once i tried to drive home from a club, and my key wouldn't turn over, it was stuck! the parking garage guys were accusing me of trying to steal my own car!
they kicked me out and i came back the next day to try again, and it still happened!
i turned the steering wheel in anger and then i heard a click! and then the key turned :mad:

it only happens when i park the car on an angle or an uneven road where my steering column doesn't lock because of that