PDA

View Full Version : E36 relay Daytime running light

M3Turboca
02-19-2004, 04:21 PM
Did a search but came back empty Im sure I read it here how do you disconnect on a older E36 1994 the daytime running liight.

I read that it was a relay and somethign else ??

I had HID and dont want them coming on all the time in the day and has a extra bulb(city) that I can wire up after when the car is on.

Thanks,

thinair
02-19-2004, 11:13 PM
On your car, does the light switch do anything? (for the headlights)

Which lights come on as daytimes, your low beams or your high beams?

Autotechnica
02-20-2004, 12:36 AM
I'm still trying to figure this out as well. I don't have daytime running lights. I only have the low beam lights that are always on no matter what position the switch is in. The parking lights are also always on. I want to be able to turn the headlights off when I switch it to the 2nd middle position. This is how my old '92 E36 worked previously. It would make sense to me if you had to slice some wires in order to cut out the low beam light in the second position. How does the switch work? Is each position of the switch wired to a seperate wire or does it come in a full enclosed harness?

Thanks,

Bry

pwrsurge
02-20-2004, 02:05 AM
With regards to the DRL's on the E36, is there a way to turn them off when your engine is running? Mine are always on, even when the parking brake is activated. I have no idea how to disable them when the car is idling???

thinair
02-20-2004, 02:23 AM
Originally posted by pwrsurge
With regards to the DRL's on the E36, is there a way to turn them off when your engine is running? Mine are always on, even when the parking brake is activated. I have no idea how to disable them when the car is idling???

I know for sure that the 96+ e36's you just swap your highbeam relay (which is also the DRL module) for a US spec highbeam relay.

I did this myself on my car and when my light switch is 'off', all the lights are actually off.

I believe the 95 and older e36 actually had the lights hardwired on from factory, no matter what position the switch is on.

M3Turboca
02-20-2004, 03:30 AM
The entire light comes on low beam full and all tail lights etc. It is like you turn the light switch all the way to the right.

All the light switch does is allow me to turn on the fog lights at the second turn to the right.

Lighting is the same all on.

I know with late 93 and early 94 when day time light was comin g in Bmw changed a relay which caused the full lighting to come on all the time once the car ignition was on.

thinair
02-20-2004, 07:08 AM
I'll take a look through the schematics for the lighting system on the canadian 94's to see how it's done....

M3Turboca
02-20-2004, 01:58 PM
Lets us know what you find out. :)

WASABI
02-20-2004, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by thinair
I know for sure that the 96+ e36's you just swap your highbeam relay (which is also the DRL module) for a US spec highbeam relay. Any chance you have the part number for that US spec highbeam relay ? :) Or can I just go to the dealer and ask for a "US spec relay" ?

thinair
02-20-2004, 04:36 PM
Originally posted by WASABI
Any chance you have the part number for that US spec highbeam relay ? :) Or can I just go to the dealer and ask for a "US spec relay" ?

P/N 61 35 8 370 510
I think it was like $30. The high beam relay is located under the dash on the drivers side.

SickFinga
02-21-2004, 12:51 AM
Yeah, Ive done it too, but i got 97.

Im not sure if it will work on cars before that, but your best bet is to ask someone in USA if their light come on when the car is running.
if not, you might have the same relay, but your headlights are wired differently, instead of the DRL light, power goes to your low beams.

SUPERCHARGED
02-21-2004, 06:00 PM
if you have angel eyes, will this allow you to turn off your headlights and only keep the fogs, sides, and angel eye rings on?

M3Turboca
02-21-2004, 11:12 PM
Spoke to a friend that is a mechanic at Bmw and he said that under the driver kick panel there is a Blue relay that is 6 pins.

You have to change that relay with one from the us that is 5 pins. :)

When it get warmer I will check or if any body want to go take a look let us know here. :)

thinair
02-21-2004, 11:29 PM
Originally posted by M3Turboca
Spoke to a friend that is a mechanic at Bmw and he said that under the driver kick panel there is a Blue relay that is 6 pins.

You have to change that relay with one from the us that is 5 pins. :)

When it get warmer I will check or if any body want to go take a look let us know here. :)

I know that works on 96+ cars, that is how I did mine. Now you got me curious if it's the same on 95 and older cars.

SickFinga
02-22-2004, 01:30 AM
Originally posted by SUPERCHARGED
if you have angel eyes, will this allow you to turn off your headlights and only keep the fogs, sides, and angel eye rings on?

Well on my car yes. Depeneds on your setup
If you use daytime lights to power the DDE. They wont light up anymore after the relay. So my DDE are powered by parking lights

325iSBimmer
03-09-2004, 12:38 AM
does anyone know anything more about this...i have a 94 325is and I just got some ellipsoids with angel eyes (from sickfinga) and I wanna know how to do the same thing...