PDA

View Full Version : Shake in the steering

MatyBMW
05-13-2002, 12:50 PM
HELP!!

I feel significant shake in the steering wheel when driving between 75km/h - 100km/h. At other speeds, it is not as noticable, but still there.

I have had my tires balanced in the past, my balljoints, and bushings replaced but still no luck.

I believe that one of my aftermarket rims is slightly bent. Could this be causing the problem. Can someone review my two options for resolution .. Keep in mind that the rims are TSW's and have a 30-40mm ofset, whereas my car is designed for 15-25. However I do not believe that this would be causing a symptom like this as my wheels are always torque wrenched onto the car.

1) Have rims taken off vehicle, and balanced.
-Which ever rims do not balance out true, are the ones that are bent.
-Take the bent rims into the rim shop for straightening
-Put rims back on car

2) Have mechanic look into possible suspension or steering components that may be causing the problem.

Help is appreciated, thanks so much!

Harry
05-13-2002, 01:59 PM
If your rotors are warped, it can also cause the same problem I beleve. My was doing similar, then I replaced the front rotors and everything was smooth as silk.

Lil'Smoothie
05-13-2002, 05:29 PM
If it's when your decelerating it is probably your brakes that need work

MatyBMW
05-13-2002, 05:50 PM
THanks for the quick response guys.

It happens whether I am accelearting or decelerating..

Eurostyle
05-13-2002, 06:10 PM
Mat, like i said before you will need spacers for these rims! The center of the rim is larger then the hub, so you need to get a special spacer made for $10 each. If that doesnt work, then put the bent rim in the back where vibration is not that noticable. BMW's are known for that problem; last year i had brand new (aftermarket) rims and balanced tires and i was still getting the vibration, then i put some used (one even bent!) BBS VW rims and it was smood again!

NickP
05-13-2002, 11:12 PM
If you want to narrow down / eliminate the rims, I have a full set of winter tires you can try.

M3ti Compact
05-14-2002, 01:13 AM
I had a similar problem with my 318ti.
Turns out to be rusting around the rims of the disk brake. Clean off that rust and the shaking would go away...
I went in for an alignment complaining about the shake, the mechanic said it doesn't need one, he pulls off the wheels, sands the outside of the brake disk, tells me to drive down to the Beer store down the street and get him a 6 pack of molson- and tell him if the problem is still there...it was gone...never came back since...

SickFinga
05-14-2002, 01:17 AM
Originally posted by M3ti Compact
I had a similar problem with my 318ti.
Turns out to be rusting around the rims of the disk brake. Clean off that rust and the shaking would go away...
I went in for an alignment complaining about the shake, the mechanic said it doesn't need one, he pulls off the wheels, sands the outside of the brake disk, tells me to drive down to the Beer store down the street and get him a 6 pack of molson- and tell him if the problem is still there...it was gone...never came back since...
you didn't buy him a 6pack?
ohh man you are so cheap ;)

Harry
05-14-2002, 02:04 AM
I think hes saying the problem never came back, im pretty sure he gave him the 6'er

Daydream///M3
05-14-2002, 04:11 AM
Consider these options

- switch bent rims to rear
-make sure the tires arent scarrabed ( bald or reduced tread)
- If you chaged your bushings... what are they?? If they are urethane.... you might experience more shaking because of the urethane...happened in my car

328power
05-15-2002, 01:57 AM
I feel the same shake in the steering wheel...my rims are slightly bent